Laptop Advice Please :)

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Currently searching for a new laptop, which must be able to handle playing Mir, D2 Remastered.

Okay downside, Must be capable tobe Charged via a 24V/12V HGV Socket. preferably USB-C capable charging, been looking at the HP Spectre range but prices are crazy.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Lol for Mir and a Remastered Diablo 2?

Can't say for sure without Diablo 2 RM being out yet to gauge the drag it has on resources, I can't imagine it would be very high, but I probably wouldn't even go for "Gaming" at all, you'd be bent over simply for buying anything with the word "Gaming" in it because companies are constantly trying to fleece gamers for more money.

But for the record, stay away from Spectre, they are absolute piss. Bought a bunch for work, and all but 1 one them have died within 2 years. Same for Asus :) Dell is pretty solid, but as said..."Gaming" just brings an unnecessary price tag because of the GFX Cards they install which you won't need lol.

Processor/RAM is debatable. I would say at minimum i5/16GB RAM and NVMe storage of latest model available. i7/i9 if you want to spend the extra for safety, out of not knowing the resource requirements on Diablo.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Lol for Mir and a Remastered Diablo 2?

Can't say for sure without Diablo 2 RM being out yet to gauge the drag it has on resources, I can't imagine it would be very high, but I probably wouldn't even go for "Gaming" at all, you'd be bent over simply for buying anything with the word "Gaming" in it because companies are constantly trying to fleece gamers for more money.

But for the record, stay away from Spectre, they are absolute piss. Bought a bunch for work, and all but 1 one them have died within 2 years. Same for Asus :) Dell is pretty solid, but as said..."Gaming" just brings an unnecessary price tag because of the GFX Cards they install which you won't need lol.

Processor/RAM is debatable. I would say at minimum i5/16GB RAM and NVMe storage of latest model available. i7/i9 if you want to spend the extra for safety, out of not knowing the resource requirements on Diablo.
Good information thanks, I have basic requirements for D2 RM, Req GTX 1060. shame to hear about the HP Spectre looks very tempting.

The main thing that I need is being able to be charged by the 24V, or Type C 45w adaptor. (For work, HGV Driver Mon-Fri) mainly want to get back into MIR.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
I think most new models of Laptops do have USB-C charging ports now. I know for sure that HP/Dell models do, i've bought some recently and they've had the USB-C port on them. Just check the advanced specs, and it will mention it...pictures are not always accurate, so don't rely on pictures alone.

As for the actual charger, that seems to change depending on the model (Not sure why), despite all of them having the ports. I don't know the specific wattage of chargers, but any Laptop you buy will come with one in the box and most likely will be 2 parts. The socket and a 2/3-pin transformer block. You can simply change out the pin part with a 2/3-pin > USB-C cable and use the power block that comes with the Laptop to give accurate/supported wattage.

Otherwise your only catalyst would be having a USB-C charging hole, in which case probably any decently priced USB-C charger off amazon would work just as well if you are trying to fit around a setup you already have. I don't think charger wattage is vastly different...as long as you aren't buying something for £1 from China, just looking up USB-C chargers after confirming you have the right hole will get you something that won't blow up.

Bountyhunter

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 20, 2003
I would avoid all HP laptops to be honest; I've used the Pavillion and Envy (similiar to spectre) ranges over 5-10 years and they all have terrible touchpads, temperature issues or can be underclocked / have throttled cpus. I've currently got the CPU running at 90% in power settings and it works better, £1200 laptop.

Will probably buy the new Macbook M1 Chips when the next version is released, finally move from windows.

Reactions: daneo1989

deano13

StopMeFast
Golden Oldie
Oct 31, 2004
London, England
Gaming whilst driving an HGV, sounds legit 🤣

Jokes aside, it could be worth giving these guys a call, used them for years, honestly couldn’t fault there service, explain the situation/build you want and they’ll take you through it. Worth the phone call even if you say no imo.

Reactions: daneo1989

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
I would avoid all HP laptops to be honest; I've used the Pavillion and Envy (similiar to spectre) ranges over 5-10 years and they all have terrible touchpads, temperature issues or can be underclocked / have throttled cpus. I've currently got the CPU running at 90% in power settings and it works better, £1200 laptop.

Will probably buy the new Macbook M1 Chips when the next version is released, finally move from windows.
Does Mir run on MacOS ? If not it would be a huge inconvenience to run a VM off it.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Does Mir run on MacOS ? If not it would be a huge inconvenience to run a VM off it.

I don't believe anyone has programmed any compatibility for the MacOS :P

Considering all the recent versions are built in C# and require .Net to run I think...there was a whole discussion about Mac support some time ago, I can't remember the specifics as to what was missing that MacOS doesn't support.

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
I don't believe anyone has programmed any compatibility for the MacOS :P

Considering all the recent versions are built in C# and require .Net to run I think...there was a whole discussion about Mac support some time ago, I can't remember the specifics as to what was missing that MacOS doesn't support.

Would be nice to have a server that is compatible for both windows and mac. Maybe even have someone look into Linux

Linux might be harder with it being a term of hundreds of different versions eg Ubuntu etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Would be nice to have a server that is compatible for both windows and mac. Maybe even have someone look into Linux

Linux might be harder with it being a term of hundreds of different versions eg Ubuntu etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is easier to port it to linux than macos. If you make it work on a distro it will work on 99% of them.

Reactions: Jev