Legend Of Mir 420 [Discussion]

• Remember! Never use the same account usernames and password across different servers!
Status
Not open for further replies.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013

April 20, 5:41 PM] 420GM!:

@everyone as everyone knows I’ve been so ******* busy it’s insane , tbh i even thought about shutting the server down but people are still enjoying it so im still paying for the dedi ect (our of my own pocket) to keep the server running. I’m aware there is **** loads I need to catch up on and it will get done , I’m back on Wednesday night 100% and will be working at home for a good few months from then so I’ll get my head back in the game ! U will see changes / updates come in heavy from Wednesday/Thursday so please bare with me I’ve tried my best I didint expect this to happen when I started the server it just is what it is ! I am aware the server has crashed but i currently don’t have my laptop with me atm I’m currently trying to work out a way to get it back on ASAP but if I can’t it will be put back up as soon as I’m home on Wednesday . I will keep you all updated , I apologies for my inactivity over the last few weeks I really am but I’m not given up so play or don’t play your choise but to those that do and are enjoying it thank you for keeping at it
:grin:

Reactions: StormHero

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
came back online as per above quote

anyone can still make a hole in this server as it is fairly HR

busetrbee

LOMCN n00bie
Aug 4, 2012
i have taken over in regards to connor leaving for work i am also new to being a gm and will learn as i go and am currenrntly working on making the server more of a high rate rather than low
thanks everyone for theyre kind regards to our first time making /running a server

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
@exGM420 and everybody new to running a server for folks out there, the first and cardinal thing about running a server is to do up to date, regular database backups (offsite) or even being aware that such a thing should be done and should always be done before you click on that button which cancels dedi sub and wipes its partition (DOH), everything else, like adding new content or whatever, is secondary.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
It is now run from a home of ex GM Kyle (I said above the dedi sub was cancelled).

The files are the same as is the 'player database'. Problem is a very significant rewind since GM420 didn't think of offloading the server database from the dedi before he abruptly pulled plug on it, so he gave Kyle files with an older database he had on his PC at home since for the last week or two, the server ran on dedi unattended due to his work taking him away from home (it is quite obvious that this is what happened).

He gave a notice in game that he decided to terminate the server and not even like ten seconds later, pulled the plug on it. I didn't even have time to read the notice second time and get in my head what that means. He didn't get the database first because he was dumping the server. But then in the mater of minutes, he changed his mind, likely because Kyle contacted him, and decided to give the files to him to run but the current database was already gone. IMO a trigger happy fool.

How much rewind you got depends on how much you played in the week or two leading up to this, for me as a second highest warrior (and highest active one), it totally killed the server and I am starting on Odyssey this weekend (unfortunate timing for Kyle when a new server is just opening but fortunate for me although I don't expect to like the server). I doubt very much that most pple will stay, I mean those that count for something on the server, probably the moochers for easier going (on this pretty well HR server) might stay since the promise is of easing it up even more.
A week's or more time of intensive daily 8-12h in two sessions on a server that only ran for several weeks is way too much of a setback. I am cut up over this since I didn't have such a good run on a mir server in a long time but what can you do.

Kyle says he will make it up by which he probably means to do exp/item fest (n) but even if he meant individual restoration (pple giving him screenshots to make the lost items and give them lost levels) that still would not cut it IMO, not by far, even if that was even realistic. In any case he would need to announce some specifics on it, not just promises.

BTW, everybody who accused GM420 doing it for a quick buck were dead wrong. I even doubt he made anything significant from this, likely because your accusations pretty well forced his hand to put all in GS on gold as well as gg and gold was plentiful in game, not a good move I'd say in retrospect.

But he destroyed his rep by the way he terminated the server on the spur of the moment, without any regard for pple playing on it (never mind that in retrospect we could not have expected the server to have very long time still ahead of it, the absence of the GM due to work elsewhere was telling).
Very much reminded me of the last IHALN's server some year ago, how that one also ended abruptly. Can only feel sorry for Kyle.

Last edited:

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
New IP:

50.72.4.210​

Gm still waiting for port forwarding.

I personally don't mind the GM change if the players want to keep the server going but this kind of stuff has to be done by the new GM on the advertisement thread, not here. And if he needs us to change the IP on the status list, he has to PM me or any other staff member with the new IP. I won't be "monitoring" this thread to see if something has changed.

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
I personally don't mind the GM change if the players want to keep the server going but this kind of stuff has to be done by the new GM on the advertisement thread, not here. And if he needs us to change the IP on the status list, he has to PM me or any other staff member with the new IP. I won't be "monitoring" this thread to see if something has changed.
I agree, I had already messages @Tai to notify of the IP change.
Just waiting on the new gm to log into his router so I can set up the ports and have the server up and running for him.

I assume the new gm has a LOMCN account themselves so they can take over that thread.

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
I agree, I had already messages @Tai to notify of the IP change.
Just waiting on the new gm to log into his router so I can set up the ports and have the server up and running for him.

I assume the new gm has a LOMCN account themselves so they can take over that thread.

I already changed the IP.

If he's hosting at home and has a dynamic IP he should use something like no-ip so we don't have to change it every couple days.

Reactions: Tai

busetrbee

LOMCN n00bie
Aug 4, 2012
SERVER IS BACK UP AND LIVE

Massive thank you to @Jev for helping me set up the ports and getting the server back up and running

Reactions: Jev

stonecold316

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 2, 2009
the servers back up but all the changes in the past few days have not been transfered over , lost 19 levels and kit and gold for a 2nd time , cba doing it again , good luck with it going forward (y)

• Sad
Reactions: mir2pion

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
the servers back up but all the changes in the past few days have not been transfered over , lost 19 levels and kit and gold for a 2nd time , cba doing it again , good luck with it going forward (y)
This was addressed

There is only so much someone can do with the files given.
The database and account database was dated 24th of April.

Personally I would have wiped the server and started it back up. New advert etc

stonecold316

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 2, 2009
This was addressed

There is only so much someone can do with the files given.
The database and account database was dated 24th of April.

Personally I would have wiped the server and started it back up. New advert etc
probably would have been a good idea , but the 1st gm shut it down then when it reopened we all lost items and levels and gold , then we got it all back slowly , then the 2nd gm did exactly the same thing , so we lost it all over again not sure why the gm couldn't have saved the files before he closed it down , instead of closing it down and having everyone lose all their stuff again , but like i said , good luck with the server it was fun for the time i played it :)

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
the 1st gm shut it down then when it reopened we all lost items and levels and gold , then we got it all back slowly

How you mean slowly, by GM making items/gold/levels up as pple said they had? supplying screenshots or just telling what they had?

problem is, he probably wouldn't even know how to wipe the server, same as he doesn't know how to backup database. I wouldn't put my eggs into his basket with or without wipe.

stonecold316

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 2, 2009
How you mean slowly, by GM making items/gold/levels up as pple said they had? supplying screenshots or just telling what they had?

problem is, he probably wouldn't even know how to wipe the server, same as he doesn't know how to backup database. I wouldn't put my eggs into his basket with or without wipe.
the gm gave us back some levels and then we went out and leveled and refound our kit and gold , and then the next gm closed it down again to move his pc , and when it went bk up , we had lost everything all over again :(

Status
Not open for further replies.