Longevity of servers.

Pusha

Playing Legend Of Mir 6
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
In the last few years there hasn't been any servers that have lasted as long as Arcadia Mir.

What makes a server last so long and how can Devs/Gm's now learn from the past few servers that haven't been standing the test of time?

It's always a put off for me when server after server get released and just burn through content and items in a couple of months, just to end up stale and everyone just moves on to the next one.

Reactions: Hurricane

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
In the last few years there hasn't been any servers that have lasted as long as Arcadia Mir.

What makes a server last so long and how can Devs/Gm's now learn from the past few servers that haven't been standing the test of time?

It's always a put off for me when server after server get released and just burn through content and items in a couple of months, just to end up stale and everyone just moves on to the next one.

GM burn out is probably the biggest one;
*You need to deal with cheaters (and people crying cheat as people false flag this a lot, and I am yet to see a server have a robust anti-cheat system)
*You need to deal with any exploiters, and the repercussions of exploits.
*You need to deal with the constant justification of any small change you've made (I remember having to justify removing 0-1 DC off of an item)
* The constant battle of you favour X player/guild when you change stuff, then when you change different stuff you are favouring another guild.

Ontop of this, the expectations to have open communications 24/7 with your player-base, updates to the server every day, and your players trying to 'contribute' to the server to then recall payments, and having to fight that as well just takes its toll when you generally are working with 1-3 team who are doing this in their 'free' time (as most are working full time ontop of this, have families and other commitments)

It's also a case of there is a lot less commitment to the servers, if you aren't top dog on a server released this month, players just drop out and wait for the next server to contest again (it almost feels servers are closer to PoE league releases at this point)

I also think nostalgia is over-rated for Mir, people say they want the same old, but when they get that, they don't like it, just need new innovation on the servers (I dont even mean coding) I mean different areas, different mobs, hell even just different item names gives a little refreshing feel to the game

Obviously just my opinions on the matter

Pusha

Playing Legend Of Mir 6
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
*You need to deal with cheaters (and people crying cheat as people false flag this a lot, and I am yet to see a server have a robust anti-cheat system)
*You need to deal with the constant justification of any small change you've made (I remember having to justify removing 0-1 DC off of an item)
* The constant battle of you favour X player/guild when you change stuff, then when you change different stuff you are favouring another guild.

Ontop of this, the expectations to have open communications 24/7 with your player-base, updates to the server every day, and your players trying to 'contribute' to the server to then recall payments, and having to fight that as well just takes its toll when you generally are working with 1-3 team who are doing this in their 'free' time (as most are working full time ontop of this, have families and other commitments)

It's also a case of there is a lot less commitment to the servers, if you aren't top dog on a server released this month, players just drop out and wait for the next server to contest again (it almost feels servers are closer to PoE league releases at this point)

I also think nostalgia is over-rated for Mir, people say they want the same old, but when they get that, they don't like it, just need new innovation on the servers (I dont even mean coding) I mean different areas, different mobs, hell even just different item names gives a little refreshing feel to the game

Thanks for that mate, I think that the main culprit is discord.

A lot of the discussion is just toxic and moaning about changes, no constructive feedback.

People also expect just to be able to get a message straight back from busy Gm's on there then moan when it takes a few days, IMO forums only is the way forward.

Reactions: Tai

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
People playing Arcadia, off the back of P69 (which It feels like I played for a decade or more) are heavily invested, socially or otherwise, I'd imagine that's the hook that keeps them playing there. Our small group eventually moved together from P69 to WoW. After a long break, and discovering P69 was essentially replaced by Arcadia, I tried it, but just never stuck.

Same as other games, like WoW, as stupid as it sounds, the thought of 'losing' thousands of hours of progress and the guild members I'd quite literally grown up with is what kept dragging me back; until I finally said enough, it's not fun anymore.

Played a lot of servers since then, only 1 or 2 ever came close to feeling like it could have longevity. Partly 'rose-tinted-glasses' and partly the fact nearly every server for years now has been cash-driven. Just tried a server, and the cash shop stat items would cost more than Netflix & Prime combined every month... just NO. (Somehow stat/items/power in GS doesn't seem to bother people anymore)

The community has also dwindled to the point where the majority of the player base left are 'a certain type of player'.
As LB noted, we see the same players/groups on every 'popular' server, and it always plays out the same.

There is no way to reproduce the likes of P69, simply because the community that made it 'good' no longer exists. I certainly don't have 10h a day to spend luring Jibs for 1% an hour; However, I don't want to be getting lvl 60+ gear dropping like candy in starter caves...

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014

A lot of the discussion is just toxic and moaning about changes, no constructive feedback.

People also expect just to be able to get a message straight back from busy Gm's on there then moan when it takes a few days, IMO forums only is the way forward.
Yeah, I would use a read only discord on my next server.

Updates posted there, and forums used for feedback, as its a lot easier to moderate a lomcn subforum, it also means that people have to take the time to construct something worth reading; I have always promoted constructive feedback, but 90% of people just say the same stuff "BLIZZARD DOES NO DAMAGE, How come Flamingsword hits nothing on a wizard?!)

When it could be a level 35 warrior with level 0 flaming sword trying to fight a level 100 wizard.
They never add context for GMs to be able to appropriately test and investigate and feedback the results.

Having a ton of toxic players rant at each other and about anything you do 24/7 isn't good for the server or even the GMs own mindset, as ultimately, if you're reading through line after line of people being arseholes/abusive, it'll slowly whittle you down to a point of "whats the f***ing point"

Reactions: 3gena

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013

Many servers start out with original maps/mobs, with only item/exp differences and for me that is always the best part of server gameplay even if I stay and make it to the later parts where the new maps/mobs were added. You get many pple who get to where the new stuff begins and then instead of exploring the new, they make a second/third char type and replay the server start and the reason is that is the best part of most servers. Typically if they play wiz char, they tame mobs which power players rarely if ever do, those only care to get over the server start as fast as they can to keep up with the front pack.

Those who enjoy the server start, you don't see them on rank charts, they don't have the new flashy items and wings and its not just playing for nostalgia's sake either. Those original euro maps and mobs are the work of genius, lots of detail in them and it shows even when most server owners slap one exp value on all mobs in a cave and generally strip most features from it (the latest server online being a fine example of it).

Reactions: Pusha

Xele

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Apr 10, 2017
One of the big problems is the frequency that servers are being pumped out, so many low quality ones too. Everyone seems to jump onto the next server in a never ending cycle even if the one they're currently playing is fun/doing well. The decline in population then triggers a domino effect and the server rapidly dies. I would personally love another server that could last for a decent period of time like Arcadia and Chronicles but I am very doubtful we'll see that again in the Mir 2 private server scene.

I personally won't play a server with a low user count because its the players that make most servers fun, we usually get one server every two years or so that pulls in the interest of the majority of the private server community and I am usually on board to geek that server pretty hard if it has a reputable host and isn't a high rate. However I expect such servers to only last 8-10 weeks now which is sad but just the reality, I don't see a fix for the problem and it would take a lot of community drive to sort the issue out.

mistodon

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 16, 2003
The biggest problem I see, on every server I've seen now in last 2 years. Is the same sin, same 3-4 wiz and same warriors absolutely destroying discord untill server is made to suit there needs, then with in a month server has died as the same handful have got bored from off one shotting people and bosses and have moved on to the next server, and the casuals and workers who don't 24/7 mir are left with a server which is broken..

Delete discord General chat, and have feed back only with a 1-2 hour cool down..or just take it back to old school and use a forums

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
One of the big problems is the frequency that servers are being pumped out, so many low quality ones too. Everyone seems to jump onto the next server in a never ending cycle even if the one they're currently playing is fun/doing well. The decline in population then triggers a domino effect and the server rapidly dies. I would personally love another server that could last for a decent period of time like Arcadia and Chronicles but I am very doubtful we'll see that again in the Mir 2 private server scene.

I personally won't play a server with a low user count because its the players that make most servers fun, we usually get one server every two years or so that pulls in the interest of the majority of the private server community and I am usually on board to geek that server pretty hard if it has a reputable host and isn't a high rate. However I expect such servers to only last 8-10 weeks now which is sad but just the reality, I don't see a fix for the problem and it would take a lot of community drive to sort the issue out.

Frequent low quality servers do dilute the initial mir hype for longer standing ones.

I personally always want my servers to last for years, even if they make no money, but its trying to keep a steady user count when new servers comes out is the hardest aspect these days.
You can hold a steady UC but if a new server pops up, people go and play that one, and even if they come back to your servers, others have left due to the UC drop, its a catch 22 situation. (hell as a player I always get lured into a new server hype)

I would love to be part of a long standing server, and I have the same hopes for my last server I will be releasing in the Mir2 Scene.
Many servers start out with original maps/mobs, with only item/exp differences and for me that is always the best part of server gameplay even if I stay and make it to the later parts where the new maps/mobs were added. You get many pple who get to where the new stuff begins and then instead of exploring the new, they make a second/third char type and replay the server start and the reason is that is the best part of most servers. Typically if they play wiz char, they tame mobs which power players rarely if ever do, those only care to get over the server start as fast as they can to keep up with the front pack.

Those who enjoy the server start, you don't see them on rank charts, they don't have the new flashy items and wings and its not just playing for nostalgia's sake either. Those original euro maps and mobs are the work of genius, lots of detail in them and it shows even when most server owners slap one exp value on all mobs in a cave and generally strip most features from it (the latest server online being a fine example of it).
See the original caves I have actually kept, but added new additions in, as well as using the HD elements for mobs.

I do feel sometimes people overcomplicate mir (and I am really reigning back my ideas as I am bad for it).

Hence why other than QoL changes on my current source I wont be adding any additional big features as it just isn't needed.

In all honesty, if you want to PM me (and it goes for anyone) that wants to input on what makes their mir experiences "longer lasting", and what they enjoy in terms of content, opinions of dos/donts I would appreciate it, as ultimately I make the server for the community as a whole.

I can't cater for everyone but getting a broad aspect of peoples thoughts always helps with brainstorming ideas.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
They never add context for GMs to be able to appropriately test and investigate and feedback the results.

If they would provide it, they'd earn ridicule from those other 'one liners' or even earn demeaning forum title.

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa

Agree, i'm just sat here waiting on @Jamie and his Sapphire server, his work is just levels above in my opinion, since Marble nothings even come remotely close. Chronicles V2 could do amazing too but not sure that Team are bothered.

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021

I wouldn’t want to run a server. Dealing with cheaters and all sorts. Euro Mir staff were probably fed up of it as they couldn't catch them all.

It is like you get burned out being a manager, telling and telling with no end result as employees won't listen.

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
Agree, i'm just sat here waiting on @Jamie and his Sapphire server, his work is just levels above in my opinion, since Marble nothings even come remotely close. Chronicles V2 could do amazing too but not sure that Team are bothered.
There is no team mate.

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
I wouldn’t want to run a server. Dealing with cheaters and all sorts. Euro Mir staff were probably fed up of it as they couldn't catch them all.

It is like you get burned out being a manager, telling and telling with no end result as employees won't listen.
xD Euro Mir staff were part of the problem so many GMs made **** ups, giving out items, spawning mobs for pals, killing EMs for them. They didnt give a ****, they knew MirMyth/Firstlander guy was making silly amounts and never done a thing about it, unless you didnt stock a Torch and someone caught you're screen lite up you'd basically never get caught.

Good memorys xD

Reactions: Omnibus

CountedZero

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jan 4, 2019

discord noun (DISAGREEMENT)​

[ U ] formal
the state of not agreeing or sharing opinions:

Think the name just says for it's self .

Reactions: Tai

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
xD Euro Mir staff were part of the problem so many GMs made **** ups, giving out items, spawning mobs for pals, killing EMs for them. They didnt give a ****, they knew MirMyth/Firstlander guy was making silly amounts and never done a thing about it, unless you didnt stock a Torch and someone caught you're screen lite up you'd basically never get caught.

Good memorys xD
There was the group bug too which was happening and then coins were made invisible so you could tell if you had dropped one or in your bag.

The GMs had complaints but did nothing. Those were the days.