Map Creator / Editor

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
To any decent map creators out there, which map editor did you use, and how did you structure it to be more manageable, in terms of object / tile organization and structure?

Currently when I am creating maps, it takes way to long to go through which tiles go where etc, and naturally I am not a hyper organized person!
I really want to start creating custom maps, but my time on them is being seriously wasted due to my current (p**s poor method / structure).

Reactions: zedina

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
Chalace released an amazing set of files which was all pre built objects for mir3 tiles i believe?

hopefully he can comment and confirm/deny it lol

i presonnaly have never been interested in map making and i use the official maps from shanda/wemade mir2 aswell as combine mir3 maps that i really like. i use the released crystal map editor to just touch up and change things like fishing attributes and lights, and ive fixed a few of the cantwalk/cantfly properties on some of the shanda ones..

theres so many maps available unless your after something truly unique and specific you could find it in a number of clients.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
To any decent map creators out there, which map editor did you use, and how did you structure it to be more manageable, in terms of object / tile organization and structure?

Currently when I am creating maps, it takes way to long to go through which tiles go where etc, and naturally I am not a hyper organized person!
I really want to start creating custom maps, but my time on them is being seriously wasted due to my current (p**s poor method / structure).

There is no easy way through.

I had pages of notes for Type/style and their respective locations.
(e.g If i wanted to make a mine, i coud quickly see where the 5 different mine looking tilesets were.)
Self-organizing custom libs so certain things were more easily accessible.
On top of the objects pre-made and organised.

It still took me a month per map.
Granted 90% of that was just moving things around, playing with unnecessary details. I was just never happy with it.

When it came to things like making a 3-floor mine, it took just a couple of hours.

--

> Have a plan on paper of what you want to make
> Have a plan for tilesets, assuming you are using the default ones it's likely you already have this, just annotate the above with it.
> Organize the objects beforehand. If you have already decided on a tileset then you know which objects go with it.
There is no need in having a folder with 2k objects sat there, having to scroll around. Just have the 50~ you're using for the map.
Post automatically merged:

i presonnaly have never been interested in map making and i use the official maps from shanda/wemade mir2 aswell as combine mir3 maps that i really like. i use the released crystal map editor to just touch up and change things like fishing attributes and lights, and ive fixed a few of the cantwalk/cantfly properties on some of the shanda ones..
Honestly, I think this is the way forward for most.

I keep losing interest because progress is just so slow. I started going through my files again after a few months break (Honestly the thought of some lovely new maps in that pack is what triggered it), and I've hardly accomplished anything maps wise in terms of the 'big picture', literally only a dozen made out of the hundreds I would need. If I keep trying to do every single thing myself, from scratch, it will be 2050 before anything is playable.

I'm at the point now where I just want to have a plausible environment to test the systems I have added. Skill gems/player housing/end-game progression, etc. This is the only real way to achieve that any time soon.

--

Don't get me wrong, making maps is a tonne of fun/stress/frustration, but mostly fun, no doubt. Just don't think, like I did, that you can make 500 'unique' maps yourself from scratch. It will kill you.

--

@LightBringer Who made your NewPI maps? I'm stealing them :)

Last edited:

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
There is no easy way through.

I had pages of notes for Type/style and their respective locations.
(e.g If i wanted to make a mine, i coud quickly see where the 5 different mine looking tilesets were.)
Self-organizing custom libs so certain things were more easily accessible.
On top of the objects pre-made and organised.

It still took me a month per map.
Granted 90% of that was just moving things around, playing with unnecessary details. I was just never happy with it.

When it came to things like making a 3-floor mine, it took just a couple of hours.

--

> Have a plan on paper of what you want to make
> Have a plan for tilesets, assuming you are using the default ones it's likely you already have this, just annotate the above with it.
> Organize the objects beforehand. If you have already decided on a tileset then you know which objects go with it.
There is no need in having a folder with 2k objects sat there, having to scroll around. Just have the 50~ you're using for the map.
Post automatically merged:

Honestly, I think this is the way forward for most.

I keep losing interest because progress is just so slow. I started going through my files again after a few months break (Honestly the thought of some lovely new maps in that pack is what triggered it), and I've hardly accomplished anything maps wise in terms of the 'big picture', literally only a dozen made out of the hundreds I would need. If I keep trying to do every single thing myself, from scratch, it will be 2050 before anything is playable.

I'm at the point now where I just want to have a plausible environment to test the systems I have added. Skill gems/player housing/end-game progression, etc. This is the only real way to achieve that any time soon.

--

Don't get me wrong, making maps is a tonne of fun/stress/frustration, but mostly fun, no doubt. Just don't think, like I did, that you can make 500 'unique' maps yourself from scratch. It will kill you.

--

@LightBringer Who made your NewPI maps? I'm stealing them :)

Thanks mate, appreciate the feedback, I am slowly noting what to use in what maps, having that catalog approach will help.

Also I am not sure if its from Mir 2 or Mir 3 (Skull Island or something on those lines) - one of my favorite maps!

LOMValkyrie

Known Cheater
Oct 31, 2018
this is why im trying to provoke the beast, i wanna make him get the skills back out.

hes not taking me on though

Reactions: Piff1

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I cant be coming back and putting Chalace off trying :p 😂... bitch please we know i'd suck now, im not showing myself up.
Hey. don't be using me as an excuse.
I might actually have to try if there was some competition.

(I know some people on here don't get sarcasm, I just make them for fun! It's not a competition)

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
5 and with kr winner get 40 and 10 to lomcn.

Cave ,temple , main lands , mixed. Up to maker.

Last edited:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Think it’s time for a map off. 5 floor dungeon including KR. Winner get used in my server 😂 @SmavidDavid @Chalace

That would be a crap competition.
Dungeons (assuming you mean inside) are static and repetitive for the most part. WT will always look like WT, PSC will always look like PSC, etc..
You change up the floor plan, sure. But it still looks the same for the player. There is no sense of 'something new'

The best maps people have come up with over the years have always been outdoors, where they can add their own touch improving on what was essentially replacements for the mediocre at best' province maps.

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
That would be a crap competition.
Dungeons (assuming you mean inside) are static and repetitive for the most part. WT will always look like WT, PSC will always look like PSC, etc..
You change up the floor plan, sure. But it still looks the same for the player. There is no sense of 'something new'

The best maps people have come up with over the years have always been outdoors, where they can add their own touch improving on what was essentially replacements for the mediocre at best' province maps.

I would disagree! A temple itself can be a masterpiece... think outside the box. On the fly you can change a temple into a dungeon and hop between multiple cave types, you can also add a sense of levels and depth all on 1 map similar to provinces.