Map tile dimensions.

smoochy boys on tour

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Is there a simple way to get around needing to cut up all the images to be 96*64 blocks? Then having to rebuild block by block in the editor.
That wouldn't mess up everything that is already there, preferably. You simply can't place as 'back image' unless it is that size currently.

E.g Like the map I made here https://www.lomcn.org/forum/threads/small-map-wip.98972/
It would have been so much simpler if I could have just imported the whole image into the editor.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I have an idea that might work with perhaps not too difficult editor code tweak. It is to make it, so you would insert 'multiple tiles' in one go. That is, instead of the standard tiles 96*64 size, you would cut your picture into twice as big tiles, 192*128, so you would put on map 4 tiles in one go. And if that could be made to work, than it should be simple to make it bigger multiple, like 3*3 standard tiles size or whatever, you get the idea.

Another way that also inserts multiple tiles in one go involves the middle layer. If placing image strips on the middle layer was fixed, you could cut your map image to strips which again saves labor. Also the strips are simpler to figure out their placing on map when the picture doesn't have any distinct features, same goes for multiple tiles sizes.

BTW the strips also can't be arbitrarily long, like full map height, they have some limit too, else their loading into view would be messed up.

That idea of tiles multiple size of the standard size might require adding in an extra back layer if the existing back layer couldn't be made to accept them. And in that case, this new layer could be made to accept even tile size 500*500 or even 1000*1000 which should accommodate most background pictures. Smaller map pictures would need to be pasted onto bigger canvas of this size to satisfy the chosen tile size requirement 500 or 1000 or whatever size.

As I said on another thread, the map canvas size doesn't matter, if it is much bigger than needed - but that was assuming tiled map. It probably doesn't use too much extra resources even if the whole map would be loaded all the time, likely the objects and player characters are the main load in this regard.

---------------------
On a second thought, how about approaching the problem from different direction, making changes in the tile cutting program. It should be easy to make an interface button that would select all tiles in preparation to make back layer single tiles. Then, less easy step (or very hard), when saving the tiles into a library, make it so you could also save in the map format with the back layer tiles all in place on it. And similar with objects - you would select how they should be cut up and after saving into library, you would also save as 'object.X'. That would save the labor assembling the tiles or the strip elements you just cut up.

Taking this approach, modifying the TileCutter rather than MapEdit program would strike me as more realistic, more doable. In the past, when I first got interested in how mir maps work and saw the mess in the libraries (tiles and tile strips being in sequence but the sequences themselves (at least many of them) just dumped in where there was a space) it led me to think, that to the original map makers the library mess didn't matter since they didn't have to then assemble the cut up map backgrounds or object image strips back to map backgrounds or make objects from them. I thought they must have had some 'tile cutter' program with features as I outlined here just now.

Last edited: