Map Tiles Groupings?

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
I have been trying to see a pattern in tiles if there is any grouping or way to put them into sets, perhaps someone here knows? Tiles on the right pane are just displayed in order from the library but to me it is a mess and painful to find matching tiles etc. Is there a equivalent of object set for tiles? Not the auto tile sets but overall...

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Never seen that editor, it suffers from the limited library view same as iJam's mod of crystal mapeditor does.

It does help to have more than a keyhole view on tiles in library but even then, it is a chore to work with tiles anyway.

If what you are after is to fill in those ground brown tiles, those are not following any particular order. Usually I use one of them to fill some spots, then pick another to fill more spots and still another one to finish the job. Then if it looks like I got too many of the same tile in some spot, I pick another tile and replace some of them with it.

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
Never seen that editor, it suffers from the limited library view same as iJam's mod of crystal mapeditor does.

It does help to have more than a keyhole view on tiles in library but even then, it is a chore to work with tiles anyway.

If what you are after is to fill in those ground brown tiles, those are not following any particular order. Usually I use one of them to fill some spots, then pick another to fill more spots and still another one to finish the job. Then if it looks like I got too many of the same tile in some spot, I pick another tile and replace some of them with it.

I guess stuck with it, ill try to make some logical sets then manually.
Post automatically merged:

I guess this looks a little better....

Last edited:

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
From it works in sets of 25 or 50 depends how you look, if you put grid to 5 wide, you'll see the pattern im describing.

1-25
1-5 = Solid Fill Tile
6-9 = Fade
11-14 = Fade
16-19 = Fade
21-24= fade
10,15,20,25 are empty / not used.

26-50
All spare to requirement, this is where detailed tiles usually positioned, and if they exceeded 25, would skip 25 tiles and proceed onto next,

So your 'auto draw' tiles would be:
1-25
51-75
101-125
151-175
etc....

In regards to 'detail tiles' i think on some they put spaces between new columns, but that doesn't offer you a new start position. If you're looking at easy building maybe introduce a feature that will continue placing tiles upwards from bottom until it hits blank file, but again it will only work on a few percentage.

Reactions: kyndigs

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
That second bigger view is worse and not because you opened up the view (that's a plus), but because you don't have clear divisions among tiles. Another even more serious flaw, you absolutely must show the tile numbers!

Take those tiles in that row just to the left of the yellow and red limit. In the first place I wouldn't like to show empty spaces black because then it is not clear they are empty (some tiles are dark, if not black and you won't see the division between them and consequently how they look).

Those corner tiles you have there come in set of four, as these do (if you follow to the left from those limit tiles) each rotated by ninety degrees.
I find it hard enough to focus on this orientation when looking for a tile when they are separated and on white background, like when I want sandy tile with grass in upper right quadrant, which in your view without spaces between tiles is much harder, if not almost, I'd even say pretty well impossible. I mean in practice.

There is some grouping of tiles present in the libraires as they are, the empty spaces already mark 'tile sets' in Wemade libraries but your're right, that still leaves lots to be desired. For example, off the top of my head, some brown ground tiles are found at #s ~950 but for no good reason. When I want some particular looking tiles, I look at existing maps for them and note the tile number/location to look them up in library. That's the only reasonable way to go about it, unless you go in and hope your luck is high and that you run into something you want to use. That's why including tile numbers is absolutely essential.

In Shanda libraries, spaces typically mark the start of next tile column on a map since their maps are not made up from modular (reusable) tiles, in many cases anyway.

I take it, you can code and if so, why not work on the map editor we already have?

Last edited: