Mining (an idea)

CountedZero

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jan 4, 2019
Best part of Mir for me is Mining.
Getting ore then refining. ( most of the sands of Mud Wall is remains of my failed attempts)
But (there's always a 'But' .) It's boreing for most, hit the wall and hope ,sod off and make a coffee ,
oh look ! Gold @ 6 happy joy !
If you're a Tao, your skelli will protect you so the coffee turns into a nap !
( preamble over )
Can one of you clever buggers can make Mining interesting .
Perhaps GREEN POISON , if you hit a random pocket , that, if you keep hitting will poison you still more !
Another Idea . You can randomly BREAK THROUGH into another (short lived ) cavern giving bonus ores.
Mining in real life isn't easy but is rewarding .
Make Mir mining a little more interesting ? Just my 2 cents have fun.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
The only way to make it more engaging is to remove the afk potential.
e.g Spread ore nodes around the world as some have already done, not just randomly hitting a wall.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Wasn't it Sanjian who moved mining into the open air where mining rocks spawn like trees and break when mined so you have to make few steps to the next one?

Same as advertised in fishing on TPR (and I've seen that on some server in past), you could get a mob spawned on you when mining. Or get teleported into a small room with special mining potential or some bonus mobs (ghouls?).

Morganja

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
May 11, 2017
Wasn't it Sanjian who moved mining into the open air where mining rocks spawn like trees and break when mined so you have to make few steps to the next one?

Same as advertised in fishing on TPR (and I've seen that on some server in past), you could get a mob spawned on you when mining. Or get teleported into a small room with special mining potential or some bonus mobs (ghouls?).
Chrons did this. (mining nodes spawn like trees etc) Its aids. But then again thats my opinion. I cant stand mining so being able to do it afk is a winner for me lol

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I cant stand mining so being able to do it afk is a winner for me lol
I never minded AFK mining by taos, can look at it as a perk the class has. Also semi AFK mining by other classes when you watch tv alongside it. Same for fishing. Don't do much of either on servers lately but at one point I had a second client logged in and mining/fishing on it while playing my main char on second client.

It should be looked upon as hooking pple to the game, also drop rates usually reflected the abuse mining of fishing took from AFK playing. What is off the board is asian style harvesting bots when it is not even done for advancing yourself in game but exploit the game for financial gain.

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
I never minded AFK mining by taos, can look at it as a perk the class has.

God dammit.....this is a 3-4 clas diablo-esk game and you're happy about an afk perk, no, Tao afk mining is fuking naff....not nearly as Naff as solo wizzies screwing Mir's economy though on most servers.
Mining needs to be a timed ingame event, mine only open up at certain times, 1 time daily quest through killing zombies/ghouls and make the respawns nuts, NO MINING, REMOVED, reward is a chest that contains a random item/weapon, likely to get a benediction oil though. Items don't break the economy but gold does and afk miners are the trash of mir servers, it needs modernising.

Mining can still exist but you get bound crafting mats and the items you make with it end up being bound, like further upgrading armor or something. You can still drop your bound Armor or maybe not but if you did it would be [Tailored to xxx], you'll have to pay for removal of the tailoring and then it's yours ;p

This is for healthy economy and yes mate, 2nd+ clients are bad and you should feel bad, old nerd warfare...

Reactions: Hercules

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Every server has ppl with multiple opened clients, some of these ppl I know and there not criminals there mates but I’d tel them the same as il say now...it ain’t my thing! Play fair like the rest of us.

Plus it makes servers seem like they have a % higher usercount than they actually have, some folk would argue that’s a plus as it encourages yet more sign ups...

I’d rather know there’s 100 single player clients running about with a 100 server count I can trust rather than a 180 fake server count due to 80 miner/bots ruining the economy and eventually the server just so they can line there’s pockets and move on.

Reactions: WelshSteel

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
As I always say, knowing what I know now, if I was ever to release a second server I would just make ore sell for next to nothing but be required for crafting and such.
The problem being with mining is you can go afk and make cash, I mean yes you can sell the ores to the other people, but thats shifting gold rather than creating more.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
As much as I like the idea of being able to craft for money, with the botability (making words today) in Mir it's no feasible.So I think the materials and items being bound to your character is actually a pretty good idea. The game could do with other ways to get good kit besides boss-killing.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
What's wrong with the way Sanjian did it? As in, the mobs(?) you have to mine instead of just smacking a wall afk?
I don't recall if he kept them in the mines or not, but think more like WoW. Have ore nodes spawn around the provinces, etc.

My goal was to have a combination of this & some mobs dropping ores. (appropriate mobs ofc, elementals)

I also toyed with mining pockets, that you randomly found. Either allow wall mining or a few set node spawns on the small map, with a stacking debuff so you can't stay for long.

--

I agree crafting is vastly underused. and when it is, it's so basic, its a waste.

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
We were planning on reworking mining along with the implimentation of other professions on our server. But at this rate with all the scope creep it wont be released until 2030. We can see what comes first. Everyone in UK driving electic cars or the release of our server. :p

Reactions: DevilsKnight

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
Every server has ppl with multiple opened clients, some of these ppl I know and there not criminals there mates but I’d tel them the same as il say now...it ain’t my thing! Play fair like the rest of us.

Plus it makes servers seem like they have a % higher usercount than they actually have, some folk would argue that’s a plus as it encourages yet more sign ups...

I’d rather know there’s 100 single player clients running about with a 100 server count I can trust rather than a 180 fake server count due to 80 miner/bots ruining the economy and eventually the server just so they can line there’s pockets and move on.

Ye m8 some games get even more ridiculous like Lineage 2/Archeage it ends up turning the games into a chore instead of investing more quality time into your main avatar "so and so has 8 boxes" "Guess I gotta do something similar to compete..." just aids.

CountedZero

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jan 4, 2019
c
Chalace said
"The only way to make it more engaging is to remove the afk potential. "

As I said 'Hit wall and make a coffee '
The reason I made post was, have just returned fron day out to BEAMISH (www.beamish.org.uk )
Was a short tour of coalmine where guide told of the life of a miner working in said mine.
Was clostrophobic . And you could stand up ! some workers could be mining seams 18" (45cm) high.

My point was, to make mining worthwhile. I suggest to reward mining with worth but to create a dificulty in actual mining.
In real life ChokeDamp (CO2) and Fire Damp (Methane) was/is a constant problem hence my idea of GreenPoison
an afk miner could (and should ) die and your Skelli can't help when the roof falls on you and you havn't tt out !
have fun

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
I like the idea of a time limit on mining, but that doesn’t stop u opening 10 clients each with a time limit of there own.

Making mine caves hard mobbed is also a good thing but how is that fair on the noob Del Boy wishing to make a million.

The poison thing sounds good to combat afk and multi client mining...

Maybe u could do it so if u pickaxe said wall 10 times the 11th hit triggers a poison that can only be cured/removed entering a SZ area.

Swoosh

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jan 24, 2017
London
Make the nodes hit back so you have to pot and hunt them like a normal cave, but can only kill/hit with the pickaxe xD 1 big mining cave, different floors, different mobs, different ore.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
With the just indignation towards me vented, I would like to speak for traditional mining, that it be preserved. If you have to have those nodes, have them in addition to the traditional mining. Bound ore is a nice idea except for one impact on traditional ways - you won't have ore mess on the ground as you mine, indicating to others someone mined here, plus I like to see some results of my actions made visible by piles of ore.
Same with mobs, I don't like when they are cleared before you moved on, out of the view. I know it is a load on servers but that doesn't change that it detracts from the enjoyment. I mean, where are we, when you can't even make a mess? That's like having a maid behind your back all the time, clearing all your dirty laundry as fast as you can throw it about your room. Where is the fun in that I ask, with just indignation in this case. :sick:

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
I quite like mining as it is.
Make ore that is mined bound to a character like Zircon did.

But you need to add reasons to mine - Zircon had agreat refining system where everyone refined their weapons so mining was a big part of the game.

I'd enjoy mining as my "break" from lvling. Set my character mining whilst I watched a bit of TV, occasionally checking to see what ore I had, empty bag or change wall etc.
Just breaks up the play a little. Sometimes I feel if I have the time spre to run around finding nodes to mine, then I could be spending that time lvling.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Sometimes I feel if I have the time spre to run around finding nodes to mine, then I could be spending that time lvling

That's precisely the point.
For it to have any real value there needs to not only be an opportunity cost but also limiting factors on supply.
As is stands now, that limit is simply the number of clients you can be bothered to log in AFK 24/7.

That then passes over to the value of refines/crafting, etc.