Mir 2 / Mir 3 Companions...

Zed

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2014
So after dabbling in various servers, as well as working on another project of my own I wanted a little feedback on Companions.

Personally I love the Mir 3 (or at least the Zircon source "companion" system) where they give you extra stats etc.
Compared to the Mir 2 companions which leave something to be desired on them.

How would Mir2 players feel about the Mir 3 companions?
I want Mir 2 to keep its Mir2 feel, but also want to incorporate features I feel would give people more self progression, as well as something to aim for (Maxed out Companions!)

Whats the difference for the people that may not know;
Mir 2 and 3 Companions both Auto Loot
Mir 2 and 3 Companions both need to be sustained through food and other trinkets (allowing them to carry more etc)
Mir 3 Companions level up, and provide small stat boosts at 'set' levels
> Stat Tiers have a range of stats, and a range of each stat so Level 3 can give, for example MC/DC/SC and then it can also give 1-3 in each stat.
Mir 3 Companions have their own 'inventory' whereas Mir2 companions loot directly into your own bag

Personally I am looking to add Mir3 Companion system (maybe a variation of it rather than a cut and paste job) but I am 'aiming' at the Mir2 audience and don't want it to feel like it's deviating from the Mir version its intended for.

StormHero

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 19, 2015
Mir2 ones collect pearls and black stones which you can purchase what evers in the shop with these, normally timed buffs.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Personally I find the mir 3 system relatively complex for mir 2. With mir2 I feel you have to be more careful with stats. I think auto loot and having their own inventory would be enough.

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
I haven't got a problem with companions aslong as they don't break the game, in Zircon there was too big a difference between pay for convience and p2w, rolling best stats was too beneficial.

jaffar91

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 10, 2011
Personally I don't really like companions, especially if they get in your way or you see 100 of them in SZ, or if they make some random ******* annoying noise xD

I'd just be happy with gold to bag and stat medals instead of companions.

Apologies for steam rolling your thread xD

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
If I had the insight I had when I first started

Turn off Companions by a client config

CompanionView=False (so the setting would then turn all other peoples companions off and leave yours)
OR
just make it so you can only ever see your own companion

Only allow them to pick up Monster Item Drops (not player Item Drops)

also @ Jaffar, you leave the frog noises out of this....

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Most games have companions... it's just another way of customising your character. It's also something to sell in your gameshop that won't **** the game up so... have a little foresight :)

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Personally I find the mir 3 system relatively complex for mir 2. With mir2 I feel you have to be more careful with stats. I think auto loot and having their own inventory would be enough.
This, pretty much.

Have it the same as Zircon but remove the stats.

jaffar91

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 10, 2011
If I had the insight I had when I first started

Turn off Companions by a client config

CompanionView=False (so the setting would then turn all other peoples companions off and leave yours)
OR
just make it so you can only ever see your own companion

Only allow them to pick up Monster Item Drops (not player Item Drops)

also @ Jaffar, you leave the frog noises out of this....
Every time I typed @home 5 seconds later I got a weird look from the mrs like wtf are you playing lmao xD

• Haha
Reactions: LightBringer