Mir 2 - Scaling

smoochy boys on tour

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
I was thinking the other day.. what if through a server progression your stats scaled? I find It hard to explain, but basically for those who have played games like ESO will understand.

We zip through oma, bug, and stone temple in seconds, only re-visiting for quests, golds, or bosses... but if we scaled player stats to monsters, it would effectively make killing an oma even for a lvl 40, is beneficial EXP wise, and still a few good hits...

Would this work on mir? It would stop endless numbers of caves becoming pathways to bosses?

Swoosh

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jan 24, 2017
London
Doesn't WoW scale like the way you're thinking too?

It would be cool but with a relatively low user count generally, most would surely complain they never see anyone...the HC would cry no PK opportunities.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
How would that work tho? Technically.

Sure you can scale a zone or player up/down without too much effort. But what if 3 ppl are in ST all 10 levels apart? What about groups? etc..
Maybe i'mdraing a blank, but i can only see it working in an instanced way, which as e know, suck in Mir.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
If all mobs scale then where is the progression? Can you just kill any mob at any point if they all scale in damage and defence?

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
You mean like GW2? They scale players down to the area say if Mines was a level 16 and your 26 you'd be brought down to about 18? That was done though so you could explore all areas without loosing any experiences etc they had a **** ton of stuff todo in each area not so sure it would work for mir unless you made it so certain crafting mats only dropps in that specific place to force people to go there etc...

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
How would that work tho? Technically.

Sure you can scale a zone or player up/down without too much effort. But what if 3 ppl are in ST all 10 levels apart? What about groups? etc..
Maybe i'mdraing a blank, but i can only see it working in an instanced way, which as e know, suck in Mir.

You would all be scaled upto a common level.. the higher your level the better kit, so when scaled you'd have greater damage output.

If all mobs scale then where is the progression? Can you just kill any mob at any point if they all scale in damage and defence?

That could be an issue I guess.. but even scaled on ESO.. I can go into some dungeons and twat lower tier mobs, but harder dungeons I will still struggle. So a level 1 would be able to kill a zumagurdian but will not skills, or even a kit to really kill it so will be there for ages, so their time would still be better spent killing mobs in oma caves.

as you level/kit up certain areas become easier making them more effective

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Sounds messy. but could be an interesting take, with a little testing. Tho i think it would need the server to literally revole around it 's purpose.

Redundant caves seem like less of an issue when you consider the fact you can quite literally add a new cave with mobs in mere minutes these days.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I like the idea of reusing caves, but don't see how it would work well tbh.

Either they scale with you and so lower or higher mob are the same throughout. And you have no real progression.

Or they scale with an offset so high level mob still are harder, and lower level still get easier. But this way is same as now but with less margin.

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
I like the idea of reusing caves, but don't see how it would work well tbh.

Either they scale with you and so lower or higher mob are the same throughout. And you have no real progression.

Or they scale with an offset so high level mob still are harder, and lower level still get easier. But this way is same as now but with less margin.

I think its safe to say majority think it doesn't work. I can see issue of progression but I look at it from a point of re-cyling and purposing existing content for longevity.

If harvesting Mats in places like oma caves / bug caves is actually worth looking rather than "walk in FF FF FF FF" oohh im rich" I think it would be better but this may just be me.

My final logic behind this, very chicken scratchy... and complete guesswork on formula.

At level 7, War has Dc 16 & only fencing Hp 80
At level 40 War has Dc 80, and all the kit, Hp 500

Scaled to a common level of 40.. (40-Level)*Stat

Level 40 War - DC 80, Hp 500
Level 7 War - DC 52- Hp 264

So obviously in a cave like ZT where mobs would be set to say a medium hardness.. he would probably struggle and without certain spells it'll be like hitting a trainer for 2 hours, but it doesn't stop them trying, but the level 40 warior will probably still cruise a little more.

I can see after the maths the margins are very small, and it would need a massive overhaul on stats to suit such a system and coding required would need to be quite intense.. just putting everybody on equal fields of playing seems to be a good idea to me

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
To have caves scale completely with level I would be skeptical.
However, I suppose you could have each cave 'cap' off at a certain level.

For Example
Oma Cave Min Level 7 Scales up to Level 30 (so mobs strength scales to contend with level 30 players) after that it falls off so you naturally progress to other caves. So you would still have the 'base level' of caves but they also dont get easy as quick.

EDIT:
Also it would make KRs a lot more interesting.

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
I wouldn't base a whole server on scaling, I would scale the odd cave/instance to ensure there's always that challenge to try throughout.. it'd be great for encouraging group/guild hunts as well.