MIR SERVERS, WHY DOES NO ONE USE 2.3 FILES NOMORE?

smoochy boys on tour

7UpGuy123

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 25, 2011
Hi, just a quick thread... Does anyone know why the 2.3 files don't seem to get used anymore? Was imo the best set of files, maybe not to work with, but to play the game on. Thanks in advance for any replies.

booHA

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 7, 2010
y are you posting in up coming server?
and are you talking about TD 2.3Files? good files for their time but so dated and no source code you were very limited in what you would do with the server

Reactions: 7UpGuy123

7UpGuy123

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 25, 2011
and are you talking about TD 2.3Files? good files for their time but so dated and no source code you were very limited in what you would do with the server
Well why not, it's relevant in the term of upcoming servers as it's a question based on why there is not anymore upcoming 2.3 servers.
+ No the 2.3 files before TD had them, they're all corrupted versions of TDs files now, the people who had the good 2.3 files are long gone from Lomcn...

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Well why not, it's relevant in the term of upcoming servers as it's a question based on why there is not anymore upcoming 2.3 servers.

+ No the 2.3 files before TD had them, they're all corrupted versions of TDs files now, the people who had the good 2.3 files are long gone from Lomcn...

Upcoming servers is for upcoming servers, not for anything else. Use Mir 2 chat instead.

Regarding your question. Why would anyone use an obsolete set of files when Crystal is available with the source code and all? You can run a 2.3 like server with Crystal.

Reactions: Jev

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Upcoming servers is for upcoming servers, not for anything else. Use Mir 2 chat instead.

Regarding your question. Why would anyone use an obsolete set of files when Crystal is available with the source code and all? You can run a 2.3 like server with Crystal.

You realise you're responding to yourself? :D This is you...but for Mir2. It's the same reason why you seem to prefer dated Mir3 files to Zircon.

He likes 2.3
You like 3.55

2.3 has Crystal.
3.55 has Zircon.

Can't understand the whole love for outdated, buggy, slow and inefficient dribble...but each to their own.

Maybe it's that whole "Feel" thing you all go on about.

Reactions: 7UpGuy123

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
You realise you're responding to yourself? :D This is you...but for Mir2. It's the same reason why you seem to prefer dated Mir3 files to Zircon.

He likes 2.3
You like 3.55

2.3 has Crystal.
3.55 has Zircon.

Can't understand the whole love for outdated, buggy, slow and inefficient dribble...but each to their own.

Maybe it's that whole "Feel" thing you all go on about.

Not exactly.

I always recommend Zircon to anyone trying to make a server using the old files but when it comes to high rate servers Zircon just can't make it. If you played the old files you'll know that it feels like a different game. And I'm talking about real high rate, not those Zircon medium rates that they call high rates. The reason 3.55 is better than Zircon for high rates is because 3.55 are broken and buggy and the work needed to turn Zircon into that is simply not worth it.

So no, not the same thing.

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
Hi, just a quick thread... Does anyone know why the 2.3 files don't seem to get used anymore? Was imo the best set of files, maybe not to work with, but to play the game on. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Thread now moved to a more appropriate place.

I think you answered the question yourself.
Why would you want to run a server if it's ''maybe not the best to work with''?

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
The reason Zircon is better than 3.55 for high rates is because 3.55 are broken and buggy and the work needed to turn Zircon into that is simply not worth it.
I believe you meant to write it like this, I swapped Zircon & 3.55 for you in the quote.

He did say why, "Was imo the best set of files, maybe not to work with, but to play the game on."

If someone did put those file up, I would certainly give it a go. Same for mir2 Delphi files, Ruby or whatever.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Then it doesn't make sense. But I think I didn't put it right either LOL

The reason 3.55 is better than Zircon for high rates is because 3.55 are broken and buggy and the work needed to turn Zircon into that is simply not worth it.

How about this rewrite: "3.55 is better for high rates than Zircon but 3.55 are broken and buggy and the work needed to turn Zircon into that is simply not worth it"

Last edited:

trippie121

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 3, 2017
with ongoing coding to Crystal atm, i think these will be the best clean set going,,, server side has just been updated to .net6 ( faster boot up, runs a lot quicker, and cycle delays down to about 29-31 .. work on the client to bring it upto latest SlimDX instead of Managed DirectX is getting worked on :D

Reactions: mir2pion

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Then it doesn't make sense. But I think I didn't put it right either LOL

How about this rewrite: "3.55 is better for high rates than Zircon but 3.55 are broken and buggy and the work needed to turn Zircon into that is simply not worth it"

I don't care. I don't know what I wrote. 3.55 is better than Zircon for high rates even though files per se are crap.

7UpGuy123

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 25, 2011
Thread now moved to a more appropriate place.

I think you answered the question yourself.
Because sometimes the best things aren't easy to achieve or maintain, so basically to answer my question (NO one has the capacity or skillset to run a server on 2.3) due to lack of devs?? As all replies are basically telling me crystal is there instead to use, which means devs/ppl just gave up with 2.3, its not the files its the ppl using them in my opinion.