Mir Website Development Advice

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Still helping a mate with a website, obviously demonstrating spells has a lot of gifs, I have all the functions available but which one would you reckon would be best to demonstrate skills on a website

Always playing Gif (auto)
Mouse over playing Gif
Click to play Gif
Viewpoint Gif (when it comes in focus)

I think click is pointless but its between the other 3.

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
My preference would be mouse over. If you have then autoplay or play in viewpoint then it will effect the performance of the site and probably be offputting if they are all playing at once.

Another option you could go for is by clicking and opening up a popup style page that demonstrates the spell on a bigger image.

Reactions: LightBringer

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Yeah I had the same feeling, hover over seems to work best for me.

Anyone know the best way to create Gifs to demonstrate spells, as he has a lot he needs me to do! haha

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I tend to use https://gyazo.com/en for GIF capturing. You could even host them on there if you wanted to.

Then go ingame, go to a blank map so you have a black background and cast & record the spell. Edit it with the software and jobs a good un.

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Never autoplay stuff.

If there's no audio, hover is probably the best. If there's audio, click.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
no audio but yeah its a still image until you hover over it, it works the best and doesnt impact load times

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Mouse overplaying Gif,

but i also like the idea of Viewpoint Gif (when it comes in focus)? <- this is what a modern site would use

Reactions: Pete107

ElAmO

Ethernity Developer
Developer
Feb 27, 2006
Mallorca, Spain
If your website has a responsive design, you should think that most devices will not send the focus event.

greetings mate.