Mir2 private servers are in the worst state since Euro went down....

smoochy boys on tour

ibby

I'm a massive prick
Dedicated Member
Jan 10, 2017
glad you can read, i guess your title is accurate
But it’s not greifing, u described a person being pked or killed. That’s a part of Mir, should remove it overall then if u can handle ur Famo dying and being shitters
Post automatically merged:

Cant*

Last edited:

nigelfarage

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 2, 2017
LOL 100% deserved imo.

I remember on another server I played, the GM would take cheaters/greifers items and do an event with them while the accused person was in BW typing in caps for them to stop and they won't do it again, was so satisfying watching that go down, although in the end I think the GM started selling peoples full accounts/items for RL cash lol

Do you know the name of that server owner so I can avoid their servers?

Reactions: mistodon

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
What happens with the servers that had their run and closed? Do pple build on their base or they just start from new base files?

When my first server TPR closed, I was going to work on the source, but too much had changed to migrate from the main source for it to become effective to merge backwards, so I took the new source and moved bits from TPR; hindsight that was a mistake as we had highly tested files; and the risk/reward was not worth it for the servers untested phase.

With Odyssey, it was a shame it didn't last a fraction of as long as it should've imo (in terms of High UC-RunTime) but this was part n parcel of moving to a new source; new bugs, new crashes and new risks.

I am working on the Odyssey source, adding new bits n pieces and moving bits from TPR over.
I don't know if I would ever release a new server, I am more working on this set of files because I just really enjoy doing it again! - Also with the new servers up and coming there is no real reason to look for a server release date to saturate the playerbase further

I feel there are a few good teams releasing promising servers, and they all seem to cater to different play styles, it'll be refreshing having options of the 'new server rush' if you want a LR (Sapphire/EuroHD) to a HR (Apoc)

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know if I would ever release a new server, I am more working on this set of files because I just really enjoy doing it again!

Is it possible not to 'release' a server but simply 'open' it without any fanfare, just make a normal thread in mir discussion section that you worked on a server, without telling too much what it is about, that it is online at this IP and if anybody wants, can jump on and play.

The idea is to run the server without feeling much responsibility for it, like about some glitches, downtime etc. Sort of approach that Sanjian talks about here although his servers were properly announced and with high expectations for it which then creates pressure on him, feeling of responsibility...

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Is it possible not to 'release' a server but simply 'open' it without any fanfare, just make a normal thread in mir discussion section that you worked on a server, without telling too much what it is about, that it is online at this IP and if anybody wants, can jump on and play.

The idea is to run the server without feeling much responsibility for it, like about some glitches, downtime etc. Sort of approach that Sanjian talks about here although his servers were properly announced and with high expectations for it which then creates pressure on him, feeling of responsibility...

You going to pay for the hosting are you? :D

Reactions: Jev

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
You going to pay for the hosting are you? :D
LOL

There's gotta be some here comfortably well off to afford it, although online gaming and abilities that go into making a server don't exactly equate with abilities to become rich. :censored:

I imagine if you have a 'name' and track record and make a low key announcement, not revealing any details, curiosity would attract many to log on and find out for themselves.

Of course it would be important to impress pple from the very start, forget about treating levels under 40 as something to suffer to get to the beef.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
LOL

There's gotta be some here comfortably well off to afford it, although online gaming and abilities that go into making a server don't exactly equate with abilities to become rich. :censored:

I imagine if you have a 'name' and track record and make a low key announcement, not revealing any details, curiosity would attract many to log on and find out for themselves.

Of course it would be important to impress pple from the very start, forget about treating levels under 40 as something to suffer to get to the beef.
Not sure exactly what world you live in, but even if anyone in here was "well off", it still wouldn't be done lol.

Nothing is free, and anyone willing to host or have knowledge of hosting Mir servers around here, is not going to do it for nothing. Even the very few that do it out of passion, still do it only as long as it's earning enough to pay the bill of the server, not necessarily for profit....and I can count those names on 1 hand.

Even if you found just a single person willing to do it, to deal with all the crap that comes with this community and entitlement of expecting the server to be perfect...say good bye to that one person you managed to find lol.

Reactions: Sanjian and IceMan

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
Not sure exactly what world you live in, but even if anyone in here was "well off", it still wouldn't be done lol.

Nothing is free, and anyone willing to host or have knowledge of hosting Mir servers around here, is not going to do it for nothing. Even the very few that do it out of passion, still do it only as long as it's earning enough to pay the bill of the server, not necessarily for profit....and I can count those names on 1 hand.

Even if you found just a single person willing to do it, to deal with all the crap that comes with this community and entitlement of expecting the server to be perfect...say good bye to that one person you managed to find lol.

I can count them in 2 names. LightBringer, Sanj. XD

Reactions: deano13

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013

That is very true this point. I think the way to deal with crap is to keep distance. You recall how we had gm Alaria (I am teh law) and other staff who put up events for us as well as put up with the crap when responding on forum, and then someone in management lost patience with that and stepped in, pulled all these front pple off and that was the end of communication with players.

Applied to running your own private server means no discussion whatever with your player base, only check what complaints, bugs or suggestions get posted and at your choice address those that are reasonable in a patch update. Updates also not announced beforehand, so if they take longer to do, no problem since nobody knows they should have been out.

If someone financed hosting, it should also be 'at arms length' and tied to this forum, meaning only approved servers that show up on the server list here would get free hosting place and would need to keep to some standard to stay on it. Server owners would still make money as they do now for their efforts but their server could stay online till nobody was playing on it and then pulled down only if the space was needed for new servers.

LOMCN admins would be granted gm access to all servers to check on compliance with free hosting policies if needed and also could reboot a crashed server if they noticed it before the server owner did. Would need space for some fifty servers, maybe some good deal could be had for renting whole server racks longterm.

MonoxideLenny

Adwaa
Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
When my first server TPR closed, I was going to work on the source, but too much had changed to migrate from the main source for it to become effective to merge backwards, so I took the new source and moved bits from TPR; hindsight that was a mistake as we had highly tested files; and the risk/reward was not worth it for the servers untested phase.

With Odyssey, it was a shame it didn't last a fraction of as long as it should've imo (in terms of High UC-RunTime) but this was part n parcel of moving to a new source; new bugs, new crashes and new risks.

I am working on the Odyssey source, adding new bits n pieces and moving bits from TPR over.
I don't know if I would ever release a new server, I am more working on this set of files because I just really enjoy doing it again! - Also with the new servers up and coming there is no real reason to look for a server release date to saturate the playerbase further

I feel there are a few good teams releasing promising servers, and they all seem to cater to different play styles, it'll be refreshing having options of the 'new server rush' if you want a LR (Sapphire/EuroHD) to a HR (Apoc)
Yes it's a shame oddy died was by far one of my fav servers to date , i got the first crystal arm(m) coz I was addicted and camped Rmv for days nights on end lol. The whole fishing bug and TM bug is what put ppl off I think, once the mass's gave up was no one to fight and was just no fun anymore

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
If someone financed hosting, it should also be 'at arms length' and tied to this forum, meaning only approved servers that show up on the server list here would get free hosting place and would need to keep to some standard to stay on it. Server owners would still make money as they do now for their efforts but their server could stay online till nobody was playing on it and then pulled down only if the space was needed for new servers.

LOMCN admins would be granted gm access to all servers to check on compliance with free hosting policies if needed and also could reboot a crashed server if they noticed it before the server owner did. Would need space for some fifty servers, maybe some good deal could be had for renting whole server racks longterm.

Unfortunately if that's what it takes to qualify, it's pointless lol. Approved Servers on here mean dick, because cash cows get the same treatment as no one is willing to go beyond slapping with an Avoid tag that no one pays attention to.

Certain "admins/mods" have also been proven to deal under the table, so wouldn't trust them with anything.

With the release of Mir4, it's botting features and easily pay to win incentive (Even able to bot multiple accounts and make some quick money), it ticks many of the boxes that the little community we had left required...failing to act on the last remaining ball ache of this forum (Cash cow repeat trash), means the end of these servers is very much closing in.

But I think it's a bit too late at this point to do anything lol. Naturally the decay of Mir was always going to happen due to it's age, it was just sped up.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
You also have to see the positive side of that, similar to saying that bad advertising is still advertising....

Also if those cash grabbing servers haven't been here, that doesn't necessarily mean there would be more of the good servers or that they would get bigger share of the player base.

Don't know anything about this mir4, just seen it being advertised here but didn't bother even to find out anything about it. I take it, it is asian based mir played on phones. These two counts guarantee it being commercialized to the core (which includes autoplay, botting etc to hook softies in). Asian market is like that.
And it being 'official', I don't see it as having some negative impact on the private server scene here apart from reducing player base for a while, I suppose mainly for mir3, the zircon crowd.

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Who? I do like how @Alecs and @smeghead guy mods the mir2/3 tbh, seems very clean since looong ago.

I'm sure LOMCN staff would love to be involved in those servers.

If I'm not wrong having a sort of "official" LOMCN server has been proposed several times. It won't happen. It wouldn't work. You need a team with a vision behind or the server will be dead in less than a week.

Reactions: Pusha

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
The idea here is that someone would rent a big hosting place on which those servers advertised in that panel on the front forum page would be hosted at no cost. If a server would pass the LOMCN approval and be put on that panel, then it would qualify for that free host.

When those who make a server look for a hosting place, likely they get a VM on a HDD, sharing that drive and rack physical PC and its processor with other VMs. Then its just luck if they give you space alongside some bandwidth undemanding VMs or you get put on some busy server. That is beyond your control or choice I think unless maybe you pay a lot.

Perhaps one physical rackmount server with standard hardware would be able to run all servers currently on the forum list here? Really no idea but HDD space is no problem, only the processing power and bandwidth might be in question in such a case.

Large cost is likely paying window OS rental, that's why there was this Linux port of mir server a while ago but I guess it didn't pan out. Maybe running on win7 or even XP? Is XP out because of win security or what. Likely it is not among choices when you rent VM.

Last edited: