MIR2 Server Files and NIS 2004

smoochy boys on tour

Tkonian

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 2, 2003
South Yorkshire. England.
I am getting serious and am looking to go live with my server. But I have a little problem.

I have got Norton Internet Security 2004 installed on my system, and although all the programs run, Gate 0 will not open.

If I disable NIS2004, within a few seconds Gate 0 Opens, so I know it's the NIS that the cause.

I have all 7 sevens set to Permit All in the program list, and ports 7000, 7100, 7200 also added in, I have enlisted the help of Nitro, but to no avail.

Please can anyone help?

Cheers, Tkonian.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
dont use norton. it will eventually delete your computer to such extent that u cant use it. Also voted worst virus and firewall software of 2003 ;)

Lionheart

"SCHMIBBIT"
VIP
Jul 12, 2003
North Wales
farril said:
dont use norton. it will eventually delete your computer to such extent that u cant use it. Also voted worst virus and firewall software of 2003 ;)

Really??

I thought Noron was best 1 around lmao :O
Just get a lil one from Downloads.com or summit. Still got that protection then.

Tkonian

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 2, 2003
South Yorkshire. England.
I agree with Lionheart, I been using Norton software for about 5 years with no problems. And according to the reviews I read from different magazine's and website's it is one of the better ones arround. Maybe not THE best, but's it's up there. :cool:

Anyway, It seems to be working now. I added like a dozens PORT numbers to a list I found in one of the menus, if you want a more accurate reference, I'll have to check. Also set all the SERVER programs to Permit All and now it seems to be working. :)

Took 3 re-boots, for it to cotton on, but now it works.

I even ran a security checker, even with the extra ports open, I am still totally secure. :D

Thanks for the advice.

By the way, I changed my mind, running a MIR3 server instead. Although not convinced my system is up to it :confused:

Viola A.I.

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 14, 2003
Newcastle - UK
Norton is very restricive and all of those "reviews" you read are actually paid 'review' ads (which is totally legal yet unfair). :-/

Yea, UNIX is the best. :P

LeoCrasher

The windows firewall is perfectly fine lol. And WinXP SP2's firewall is even better. Wish they'd hurry up and update 2k3's one.

/Leo