Old Mir 3 many years ago..

Join Discord

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
xD until Zircon came, what when you used to play on them 5 frame per second files that had constant problems lol. Nobodys greatful on this website.
I don't and never have played Mir 3 but I think the same goes for Mir 2 in the sense of; People wouldn't have what they have rn if it wasn't for Far and others.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I don't and never have played Mir 3 but I think the same goes for Mir 2 in the sense of; People wouldn't have what they have rn if it wasn't for Far and others.
Think you've got to give full credit to Jamie on this one. If he didn't make and release the files we'd still be in the dark ages. Lomcn would probably be shutdown years ago due to lack of modern files.

Reactions: Fusion and Jev

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Did Mir3 always have no flinch or was that a Zircon thing?

and @Far Agreed on the initial contribution, but if it wasn't for your huge contributions over the years (and helping guide rookies like me back in the day, asking the same questions over and over) you could say the same thing about the state of mir!

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex

and @Far Agreed on the initial contribution, but if it wasn't for your huge contributions over the years (and helping guide rookies like me back in the day, asking the same questions over and over) you could say the same thing about the state of mir!

giphy.gif

Fusion

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Ireland

flinch was in mir3 just not zircon think some servers have added it back

Reactions: LightBringer

ryancg

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 15, 2015
xD until Zircon came, what when you used to play on them 5 frame per second files that had constant problems lol. Nobodys greatful on this website.
I mean resurrect them by implement the whole client with cross platform game engine.

clintbeastwood

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 9, 2016
So ive been checking out servers trying to find a way to play Mir 3 how it played like 10+ years ago.. you start in like Bichon or wherever and up northwest is the flea cave you gradually leveled in town doing all the quests they had etc that slow fun grindyness... i miss it and would love to play it.. almost every server i find has boosted XP bacically giving you all the books... and im having a hard time finding a normal Mir 3 experience... can anyone reccomend any Mir 3 servers that are just... normal? nothing boosted just plops you in Bichon and you play like it was originally made?
A server just launched on 12/03/22 that some of us are playing. Gsp files. Very very close to original gameplay.

Low rate. No custom changes to xp or drops.
Affordable and easy WeCash store.
GM fixes bugs very fast.

We need more players :)
Mir3usa.com

XloverBoy7X

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Dundee
A server just launched on 12/03/22 that some of us are playing. Gsp files. Very very close to original gameplay.

GM fixes bugs very fast.

Mir3usa.com
20th edition of it?!?

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003

GM fixes bugs very fast.

Mir3usa.com
If its GSP files, why does the web site reference zircon client?

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Mir 3 PVP was good until Zircon came. Take it or leave it.
I been saying this long time now people hate sin because of zircon.

I get you 2 are huge Mir3 fans, and I agree that Mir3 is better overall to Mir2 because of the extra skills and general elemental approach...but you speak of the old Mir3 files as if no one else has played them lol.

I can't say I ever rated being Double BladeStorm'd to death time and time again because of being flinch locked into a frame spike...basically if you got caught by any attack by a Warrior, you either TT/RT or just die. The day it was time to leave Windows XP behind, these issues got MUCH worse...and just damn unplayable by anything anyone tried to get working on Windows 10.

In fact I literally recorded side by side, the files Zed attempted to make, how much laggier, slow and frame droppy they were...just running on the screen...imagine if i tried to cast anything.

The changes to the Zircon files were made in response to how much smoother the files became. Yes, he didn't have the flashy skills you came to expect in Mir3 because of the time commitment to create them, but they still operated exactly the same way. Zed corrected this on his files, but to begin with you could easily argue at the time that he released prematurely because it was unstable as **** after he put his particle system in...dunno what it's like nowadays.

Also...Sins are hated in general because they were built as a catch-up class. If they are released out of the gate with all the other classes, they are able to overpower most bosses, early and solo...and almost 1 bang a lot of people until later in the game. That's why they are hated...had nothing to do with Zircon specifically. You could release the Sin class a month or so into any server, built as they should be...and you won't have a problem.

Fusion

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Ireland
I get you 2 are huge Mir3 fans, and I agree that Mir3 is better overall to Mir2 because of the extra skills and general elemental approach...but you speak of the old Mir3 files as if no one else has played them lol.

I can't say I ever rated being Double BladeStorm'd to death time and time again because of being flinch locked into a frame spike...basically if you got caught by any attack by a Warrior, you either TT/RT or just die. The day it was time to leave Windows XP behind, these issues got MUCH worse...and just damn unplayable by anything anyone tried to get working on Windows 10.

In fact I literally recorded side by side, the files Zed attempted to make, how much laggier, slow and frame droppy they were...just running on the screen...imagine if i tried to cast anything.

The changes to the Zircon files were made in response to how much smoother the files became. Yes, he didn't have the flashy skills you came to expect in Mir3 because of the time commitment to create them, but they still operated exactly the same way. Zed corrected this on his files, but to begin with you could easily argue at the time that he released prematurely because it was unstable as **** after he put his particle system in...dunno what it's like nowadays.

Also...Sins are hated in general because they were built as a catch-up class. If they are released out of the gate with all the other classes, they are able to overpower most bosses, early and solo...and almost 1 bang a lot of people until later in the game. That's why they are hated...had nothing to do with Zircon specifically. You could release the Sin class a month or so into any server, built as they should be...and you won't have a problem.
what you talking about your ruining my childhood

I loved the old files i loved being an warrior and smashing everyone gave me an massive ego i love bladestorm 1 hitting people :P i loved it all every aspect of it i loved trying to side step other warriors and SD away from everyone when low health :P

But i do agree about the sin the catch up part but this can be fixed i hate to see people giving up on sin as they so fun, ok there is issues with massacre etc from zircon gsp sin was not without issues but was good is ways maybe small changes liek remove hell fire so does not stop boss hp going up. small steeks like this can balance them, i also think moving away from mana from blooms what zed did was the right direction as they got to strong over time with levels

i say make Mir3 great again

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
People have tried a number of things to balance them lol, but if you adjust their stats, they become crap late game...adjust the skills and they do next to no damage because of the way they scale from their mana...lower the mana buffs and you get the same issue.

Without putting the effort in like you said, and we all know that isn't going to happen, it's not going to be possible to balance the class properly with the skill set they have without some adjustment in some form or another...and people hate change.

Also don't forget, even some simple changes Zircon did like not having that face down motion when you cast Defiance as a Warrior and it made you stand in place for a second or 2...Jamie removed that bullshit and you could cast it like you were casting a skill...small things like that made the version feel smoother but could also have impacts on the responsiveness to classes.

I never saw/played Sin prior to Zircon, but I would imagine it's backstabbing teleport thing had a similar delayed response as Defiance did...without it would make them really tough to counter...but Zircon just by it's smoothness, likely made them even more powerful if you think about it as you didn't need to contend with the inevitable frame delays.

Zircon has improved Mir3 a great deal. I'm all for being oldskool, but without it...Mir3 would be dead by now. It would be very easy for someone to adjust the files as they are and made them more familiar...but people can't be bothered lol. Only person who attempted was Zed, and then he locked the source :D Jamie was more focused on responsiveness and actually being able to play the game how it was intended without spending years on the aesthetic so called "feel" of the old files, not the buggy/laggy state it was known for.

Element111

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Nov 9, 2016
I think people just grew tired of the grind concept so they wanted to boost things for their own private server :) So, it might be hard to ind a server or experience like that again.

I think a lot of the original content and concepts work very well when there are hundreds and thousands of players in-game. Imo, to get mir3 popping like that again, the game would need a lot of new concepts and content to reveal its greater potential and so that it would bring something forward that perhaps other games never had if it's ever to become a great game on a more massive scale again.

Last edited:
Reactions: lays and ventus

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I loved the old files i loved being an warrior and smashing everyone gave me an massive ego i love bladestorm 1 hitting people :p i loved it all every aspect of it i loved trying to side step other warriors and SD away from everyone when low health :p
But i do agree about the sin the catch up part but this can be fixed i hate to see people giving up on sin as they so fun, ok there is issues with massacre etc from zircon gsp sin was not without issues but was good is ways maybe small changes liek remove hell fire so does not stop boss hp going up. small steeks like this can balance them, i also think moving away from mana from blooms what zed did was the right direction as they got to strong over time with levels

After reading several last posts here (never played mir3 to any extent), I can only envy that warrior class was made strong to compete or be even better than other classes, at least on some servers but it seems nobody knows how to balance assassin or rather nobody cares to balance the class. And the reason for not caring is because there is very little interest in melee classes on any mir, 2, 3 or 3d which I recently play.

It doesn't take much imagination to come up with new skills for magic classes (tao, wiz) but if you don't want to make melee classes into just another magic like class, it constraints you greatly and I think the skills require more coding or graphic art skills, like char animations (wiz or tao avatar just 'beckons' with his stick and out comes stunning graphic of meteor shower or lightening or something of the sort and mobs are burnt to cinders LOL but melee class avatar needs to make more intricate moves (especially sin class).

But I think the neglect of melee classes goes deeper than making skills for the class is more difficult. I don't have statistics to support it but it seems obvious magic class has big appeal for Asians and it shows in mir of any kind from its beginning. Martial arts melee fighting also has a tradition there but I think that's a thing of the past with today's young pple. Likely they are more fans of Harry Potter than their traditional martial arts heroes.

And if you are a fan of magic, you will make new skills for that class with enthusiasm and only grudgingly also make something for the melee class, because you have to do at least something but you do as little of it as you can get away with.

I almost stopped playing mir2 servers and of those I did, there was only one that I recall which moved warrior class skills down in levels, I think thrusting to lev19 and HM to lev22 or something like that. I remember being thankful for that but it was just one server that had done that, or maybe two? Otherwise all servers it is adrudge to get to HM, that is unless they are HR servers.