One Class concept - a crazy idea

smoochy boys on tour

mStation

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 29, 2003
♫♪♫ ♦♥♠♣ ♀♂♀
Hello all,

I have been thinking about this concept for quite some time but never had the opportunity to express it fully.
I'd like to throw it out there to see if a crazy folk can take it over and try to develop it further into a mir server.

The concept is simple: one class that can learn all available skills.
The DC/MC/SC concept remains in place as we know it.

To try to summarize, immagine one class, similar build-up to a TAO from HP/MP point of view. This class gains a certain number of points for each level it gains ingame which can be spent on unlocking a skill tree. The skill tree will be similar to what we currently know of, separated in 3/4/5 columns which could be the skills a wiz, tao, war, (sin, archer) learns. But the player will have to freedom to choose to learn whatever skill he wants. So say, the first skills are fireball, healing, fencing.. he can spend his points to learn all three and unlock them. Naturally, you will need to unlock the first ones to access to the following.

Basically the concept is that, when you reach a specific level cap, you may potentially unlock all the skill tree, hence all players will have the same arsenal of attack skills they may use. Technically, there will be no class outshining another because there is just one class. The only difference would be that players will be unlocking their skills are different speed depending on their strategy.

The complete balancing of the game will be done item wise. Items may have all three DC/MC/SC stats on them to assist the players who want to be more rounded skillwise, these items will have basic stats to avoid making them too strong. Then you will have as usual, items focused purely on DC, or MC, or SC to boost up one specific skill tree.. if a player wants to focus mainly on one aspect of the game. Other items will assist them, for example, who wants to build up MP will have stones for that. Who wants to tank and build up HP, will have the same.

People will have the choice to run around mir with multiple kits in their bags to fight accordingly.. everyone will have access to the same bosses even if these are designed to be soloed only by rangers or melees since everyone sooner or later may develop these skills.

Imagine PVPing someone who has basically three kits in their bag, wouldnt that be fun from a drop fest point of view?

I'd like to hear from you, what do you think is the drawback of such an idea?
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Hercules

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
It’s a good idea mate (1 which I’m half way through doing myself but unsure if I will ever release it as I may keep it for just myself). You should role with it imo. What I did to combat the need for kits is supply drops of tailored MC DC SC items which once you gain all 3 types of an item you can craft into a unique item with all 3.

But if you prefer having 3 kits at all times that’s upto you.

I’m not doing a skill tree but that does also sound like a cool concept 👍🏻

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND
I'd love to see someone try and take the system Myth of Soma uses and implement it into Mir. Your idea is similar, but could be better if you were to copy Soma's system I think.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I think i remember @DevilsKnight server using this concept. Not that the server will ever see the light of day, but it was a good idea.

Just difficult to balance correctly i guess. Having a high DPS warrior with the ability to also heal itself and teleport might get OP - so you would need to balance only able to afford certain skills.

Reactions: SmavidDavid

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
@DevilsKnight has a similar idea to this if i recall correctly.

It would be interesting, but would need major overhaul to spells, all classes would basically roll tao for levels 1-14, then war/wiz after to just get heal & poison.

DiabloVodkaShot

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 20, 2009
Been discussed a million times.. Mir is Mir for the fact of classes and i Don't tthink it will ever change successfully.

Onlyevil

LOMCN Rookie
Jul 31, 2020
Yeru would think is it was available skills would make a server go the extra length u no like warrior shield buffs Tao firesword n that

DevilsKnight

I
VIP
Aug 1, 2004
As others have mentioned, I have been working on a concept very similar to this.

It's been something that's been going on for a fair few years now. Balance is the key to everything, I can not express enough how much work is actually involved in it (it essentially becomes a new game)

Dk

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chriz

Onlyevil

LOMCN Rookie
Jul 31, 2020
Yer or have one skill for say lvl 30 then 40 with selection only and cannot pick more then 1 option

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
If you want to try out a new concept go for it, its nice to see people trying new things.

Personally it isn't for me, for balance purposes you can lock certain skills behind requirements like needing a certain amount of MC, so if you are defining yourself as a warrior then you aren't likely going to also build enough MC for stuff like Blink.

Ontop of balance, you also need to get it so it feels like its worth mixing up kit, else you may as well stick to the class base dgame, and I would not like to imagine how to balance it all, like DK said, its a new game.
Post automatically merged:

Never liked classless non archer games personally.
Fixed for you

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
There is ways round it but like u say it’s a new game for sure and not like a Mir server of the past

Onlyevil

LOMCN Rookie
Jul 31, 2020
Is there away to make a ring new style like para and pro clear with the magic shield from wiz’s skills sounds cool that 1 where it stays on tho

Xzoviac

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
i think mir 1 had no classes , and you just picked skills , in the tree you wanted as you leveled

TheOnlyOne

DarkReturn Server High Rate
Loyal Member
Dark Return
Game Master
Oct 6, 2017
Jordan
mir only tao wizz war that the real mir for me othere classes crap tbh

Reactions: deano13