Original Old Skool Mir 2 (Dragon Server) private Server.

Would you play a Original Server based on EU Dragon from 2001

• Yes

Votes: 49 59.8%
  • No

Votes: 33 40.2%

• Total voters

Northend

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Dec 19, 2017
Been thinking for a few days now, how cool it would be to go back in time and play Mir 2 (EU Dragon) again for that very first time. Before Phoenix was released, grinding away in oma caves to level 15, killing your first Bone Elite (with a group lol) getting that first ever Mass Drop after they were implemented.

I'm talking before Spitting Spiders even got their new skin, when we had the Wooma Invasion of Bichon Wall, before the bullshit Easter Event which ruined the economy.

So with that in mind i was thinking about actually doing it, but would anyone actually want to play? Eventually I would release updates in the order of when they were released back in the day,and then start to add my own updates but it would solely be original to the Dragon server of old until all the old updates were released.

It would literally be like stepping back into the year 2001 and playing Mir 2 Dragon Server all over again.

Personally i think that would be awesome, or am just getting old and sad lol

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
Eh, euro clones are a nostalgic blast from the past for a short period but end of the day, people want something new and fresh. We've done it all before. Best of luck to you though, i've seen a few euro clones do their own twist on things and they were reasonable successful.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Artificial did it, and only a handful of players actually played it. Maybe 5 or 6 when i played... and that was during an event.

People are too lazy these days. they want instant gratification on everything.

Seanofsmeg

Staff member
Apr 6, 2015
I don't think it would work. Don't get me wrong like yourself would love to go back and play the old euro style but I think it was more about the usercount, the people, the big and small guilds a like scrapping with each other and level 40 meaning something where you grind 2-3% a day but you do it with people who become friends outside the game. I don't think you can get the usercount to pull off the magic and since the usercount that joins have already experienced what you would put in before it would be like your save game being deleted and having to start over... some people would some people be like fk that... I think a mir that has the elements of euro but a completely different experience would be a compromise that might be successful

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Alternative take on that idea of recreating euro mir would be recreating its end point, that is how our chars were when it closed doors and continue from there. You would supply screens of your char and storage and the server owner would create your char as it was, more or less depending on the screens you could supply.

Funny thing is, I am not sure now if my memory is of the end of GN or Gamepot mir issue, it might be mixed up. I recall being level 47 warrior left behind level wise because everybody went to snakes and got level 50+ in few days in group efforts. I doubt I got that high level on GN mir, really remember its starting days, when they messed up running mechanics of game engine (the slingshoting effect) and backpedaled on that, not sure if they went back on those phaluses that replaced the hp/mp ball, it they went back to the ball?

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I don't think it would be possible to re-create Dragon 2001. I don't believe it is just the content that makes a server. It is also the players and the community that made it what it was. For me the Nostalgia feeling of Mir was from the people i played with and the fun we had, not just the mobs and dungeons.

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Euro took years to mature, and grow into its final stages. Every patch and update making it easier to boss thru the levels, and end of life being piss easy to get 40-44 where the grind began... and this is where all servers enter it, the 2.3 patches where people know exactly where to and not to level.

The Nostalgia project looked promising as it forced people back to early patches, where PI, PT, BDD etc didn't exist, and spells weren't around, but I think it'd wear thin very quick when you have level 40 warriors w.o TDB crying PVP sucks etc.

Reactions: Sanjian

Chriz

Captain Lurker
VIP
Mar 24, 2003
LOMCN
Im sure [MENTION=86]Chriz[/MENTION] is doing something along these lines...
It is indeed very similar to my original Idea!

I unfortunately don't have the time to complete this on my own; as such have joined up with a few other guys to work towards a similar end goal ;)

Witcha

Banned
Banned
Jan 2, 2019
It is indeed very similar to my original Idea!

I unfortunately don't have the time to complete this on my own; as such have joined up with a few other guys to work towards a similar end goal ;)

Who and what :P

Northend

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Dec 19, 2017
Thanks for the feedback guys, having thought about it some more and the feedback here it's probably not the best idea lol

So i have come up with a another idea for the basis of a Mir 2 server 'Legend of Zelda' mainly because i'm a huge Zelda nut! and there is so much potential for a really in depth storied quest chain starting from level 1.

Watch this space! :D

Wittin

Ex-Δdministrator
VIP
May 7, 2003
Wow this thread is of particular interest to me..

There are a few promising unreleased servers along these lines, regardless of what people believe I still think it's important to make this happen properly in 1 form or another, since out of the "93487698753" attempts to clone the game I don't think anyone has been truly successful in bringing it back as it was, and I don't think any project had the longevity to make such a thing happen.

I also just want to say, I'd definitely play Chriz's mir :love_heart:

kingdomgm

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Nov 4, 2009
intresting read, as i have been involed in running a few servers in the past when TD 2.3 files where about , and one with iceman on the ruby files i have now come back to mir to look into how server files have progressed forward , What files are people using these days ? and how bug free are these files? i may have a play around and try remmber how to work them haha, and may try look into setting up a server

Osprey

LOMCN n00bie
Feb 9, 2019
I would love a old skool mir server or game similar. We all keep trying games to get that sense of nostalga back. Albion I thought but let me down . Legend of Aria on a comunity server may do it. In fact Im sure some of you clever boffins could jump onto LoA comunity server program and create a mir clone on there.

Food for thought
Im sure it would be a hit and donations would come from player base if it was popular.

Not Mir but it may generate interest from young gamers with us old mir grandads leading the way