Join Discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

unrealhippie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
right, another question I could do with an answer to please:

I have a new pc, I have windows XP and windows 2003 - I will be only using the new pc so what OS, will 2003 be able to play all the games XP can, what are the advantages of both, I know some people here have 2003 installed (leo 4 one) so what should I do

thanks

LeoCrasher

Well...

Win2k3 can essentially do everything XP can (minus a few things, such as wide support for USB devices and gaming prospects). However it is a far superior OS. In my experiance it is a lot faster, and more reliable. However you should really only consider it if you wish to run a website or some sort of online/network based service, as its a tad more secure.

WinXP on the other hand, is designed more for the home user, with wide support for applications out of the box. I reverted my main machine back to XP after I had start-up troubles with 2k3. I only use it on my laptop now.

If you do decide to use Win2k3 as your workstation OS... you might want to look at this article:
http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/

EDIT: If you could tell me what you would be using the computer for I could tell you what you should use ;).

/Leo

Last edited:

unrealhippie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
well this will be my main pc, not used for websites, used in a network though, it will mainly used for games so I dont know, you tell me!

unrealhippie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
what does SP1 acctually do?

also my XP pro has SP1 built in so between:

XP Pro SP1 and server 2003 (and small buisness server 2003)

thanks

p.s I have the following Small buisness server 2003 - release candidate disc's 1-5 and the resource CD

AND windows server 2003 standard edition

AND windows server 2003 Web edition

what do I do, please tell me

(remember pc for games, what shoudl I do!)

LeoCrasher

Use WinXP...

Its jst that SP1 makes XP slower (ms even admitted that).

/Leo

[ade]

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 30, 2003
Why does having a server oriented operating system installed on a home pc give people a hard on :/

unrealhippie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
why are you spamming, clean your act up, 2003 runs faster nd uses less system resources, making the pc run faster, stop spamming

[ade]

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 30, 2003
It was a valid point.

Just going by Microsofts released recommended system requirements it would seem that Server 2003 uses more system resources than XP.

I'm not quite sure how you'd qualify the statement "2003 runs faster".
If you have any evidence of either of the above I'd be interested to read it.

Also Server 2003 supports less consumer hardware (particularly USB) as Leo mentioned.
I would also guess that most games and consumer software developers will not provide explicit support for that operating system.

Given the choices and the fact you stated the system is primarily intended for playing games, I'm surprised you even had to post the question.

Edit -
If you really do want it fast, run 98 SE :P

Last edited:

unrealhippie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
98se I used touse , But XP runs faster on this old rig 4 me, and crashes less. (so faster, because of non frequent reboots). The reason I asked is because I know some people here use it, and so I was asking there advise, and what advantages it had, also why the ****y reply, then the clever reply?

unrealhippie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
[ade] said:
give people a hard on :/

[ade] said:
It was a valid point.

is that, that valid? insulting me? I know abit about computers, but have not used any server platforms before, that was my main reason for asking

EDIT: did not mean to double post sorry

[ade]

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 30, 2003
I never mentioned you in particular :D

also why the ****y reply, then the clever reply?

I have had far too many conversations with people I know which go something like:

<jim> Hey look, I just spent 3 days downloading and installing a triple boot system with Server 2003, IRIX 64 and DOS 6.2
<me> why?
<jim> cos it's cool
<me> do you really need the ability to administer 2000 pcs with enterprise class web services, terminal services and vpn server on a secure multi-tiered network?
<jim> no...
<me> Does your sidewinder still work?
<jim> no...
<me> ...
<jim> it's cool

Well, not exactly like that, but along those lines :|

unrealhippie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
I am not using it because it is kool, I have it and XP pro so I was asking peoples advise of what to use.. I am not, repeat using it because its kool, I want a fast computer to play games on, I have read about it running faster, so I was wondering what to use, after leo's very helpful advise I decided to use XP pro on the new system, that was before you even posted on this thread :D, thats it I am using XP not 03 no more help needed,
thanks loads for help

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
unrealhippie said:
why are you spamming, clean your act up, 2003 runs faster nd uses less system resources, making the pc run faster, stop spamming

yes it is very nice and very user friendly. however compatibilty with games etc programs normal household stuff soxors hense why he's prob asking. and guys a smilie is not a post. words r nice

LeoCrasher

[ade] said:
'r' is not a word.

Its shorthand for 'are'. Oh, and he never said that 'r' was a word either. Please stop spamming [ade].

/Leo

Status
Not open for further replies.