PC Build.

Join Discord

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Looking to move from laptop gaming to a desktop, I don't know what sort of specs I need but I want to run AAA games like cyberpunk, Tekken 8 etc at 4K minimum 60fps with ray tracing if possible.

Do I need to add much more or change anything to the below to achieve this or if anyone has advice on parts that aren't great please let me know as I have no idea.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-08 123101.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-08 123101.png
    499.2 KB · Views: 43

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Are you hard set on AMD? to me AMD is and always will be budget builds, your pricing there is far from "budget".

JohnBarny

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2003
Ya Mums
If you are just gaming and wanting to run at 4k, I would drop down the CPU and upgrade the GPU or save the cash personally.
CPU wise honestly for just gaming id go for 12600kf (£225 ish) or 7600x (£250 ish)
Could probably make a saving of £50-100 by going for a less flashy Mobo in full size not matx as the case looks like its full size atx

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Are you hard set on AMD? to me AMD is and always will be budget builds, your pricing there is far from "budget".
I'm not mate no, but a few people have advised me to go this route? would you recommend going intel instead?

If you are just gaming and wanting to run at 4k, I would drop down the CPU and upgrade the GPU or save the cash personally.
CPU wise honestly for just gaming id go for 12600kf (£225 ish) or 7600x (£250 ish)
Could probably make a saving of £50-100 by going for a less flashy Mobo in full size not matx as the case looks like its full size atx
Ok brill thanks for the tip i'll have a look at the CPU options then, tbh I've just seen a few videos where this CPU was used that's why I just chose it in the build.

And what do you mean mobo mate? the case?

Can you link me to some decent ones please?

JohnBarny

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2003
Ya Mums
I'm not mate no, but a few people have advised me to go this route? would you recommend going intel instead?

Ok brill thanks for the tip i'll have a look at the CPU options then, tbh I've just seen a few videos where this CPU was used that's why I just chose it in the build.

mobo is motherboard, atx/matx is the form factor (sizing)

Reactions: Pusha

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
If you stick with AMD, it's not worth getting a 3D cpu as all the graphics will be handled by the gpu.

I've gone with a Ryzen 9 5900x which doesn't have onboard graphics but my gpu will pick that up. (Is also much cheaper than the ryzen 7 you've picked)

Most people will tell you to go towards Intel CPU's.

Just make sure you check for compatibility with the cpu and the mobo socket.

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
If you stick with AMD, it's not worth getting a 3D cpu as all the graphics will be handled by the gpu.

I've gone with a Ryzen 9 5900x which doesn't have onboard graphics but my gpu will pick that up. (Is also much cheaper than the ryzen 7 you've picked)

Most people will tell you to go towards Intel CPU's.

Just make sure you check for compatibility with the cpu and the mobo socket.
I did check part picker but it says something about the fan may need a bracket, and the measurements can't be guaranteed to fit in the case?

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
I did check part picker but it says something about the fan may need a bracket, and the measurements can't be guaranteed to fit in the case?
Yea PCPartPicker is an awesome website to use, With things like measurements etc it's kind of a risk it situation, I had the same issue when I put my pc into pcpartpicker.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
That looks like the place where you select components and they assemble it? How much that adds to the cost?

It is fairly easy to put it together yourself. I had my very first PC win95 put together in a shop but started to build it myself for win98 and on. But I never got a gaming pc as I play games like mir2, even mir3d is fine on AIO 27" Asus that I currently use.

Your case has space for full size motherboard (ATX), if you put miniATX, it will look lost in that case, plus you might have limited space sideways for CPU fan. Basically part selection for dimensions is more critical for smaller boards.
1696786245230.png

You should look up each part specs, they all give you dimensions like here the limits for the case.
I confess I don't understand that picture of CPU fan height, are the fans these days sitting on the CPU and blow the air sideways or what.
Is that white blob under the fan picture meant to be cooling block? Normally as I knew it, if you see the fan blades like this, the block would be hidden underneath the fan.

1696786694624.png

1696786324198.png

PSU goes underneath into that tunnel? The site has more detailed specs section plus at the bottom a calculator for the PSU where you enter your components to calculate wattage you need

Once you start to study it, you get into it, if some terms puzzle you, google it. In assembly maybe the more critical parts for someone who has never done it is applying the paste on CPU, I think these days clipping the cooling block on the CPU is user friendly. Slotting in RAM modules is another thing to look up, it probably even includes instructions how to press them into the slots (those are numbered, ATX mobo comes with instructions into which slots they go when they come in pairs). The rest is a mechanical job, just some screws and connectors, each connector is custom, can only plug it where it belongs. You will like it more if you assemble it yourself.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
definitely also 14th gen will be out next few months, as much as its painful, even to me, I'd wait to upgrade, I'm tempted to make a new system for 14th gen not sure yet :P

if I was going to build one right now, I'd grab something like this... although I'd go for the 4070 maybe, I like the 80 series, but unsure why they have doubled in price since the 3080 series -.- grabbed that for £600 odd during the "GPU struggle"

I'd still hunt around for better prices

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
That looks like the place where you select components and they assemble it? How much that adds to the cost?

It is fairly easy to put it together yourself. I had my very first PC win95 put together in a shop but started to build it myself for win98 and on. But I never got a gaming pc as I play games like mir2, even mir3d is fine on AIO 27" Asus that I currently use.

Your case has space for full size motherboard (ATX), if you put miniATX, it will look lost in that case, plus you might have limited space sideways for CPU fan. Basically part selection for dimensions is more critical for smaller boards.
View attachment 32867

You should look up each part specs, they all give you dimensions like here the limits for the case.
I confess I don't understand that picture of CPU fan height, are the fans these days sitting on the CPU and blow the air sideways or what.
Is that white blob under the fan picture meant to be cooling block? Normally as I knew it, if you see the fan blades like this, the block would be hidden underneath the fan.

View attachment 32869

View attachment 32868

PSU goes underneath into that tunnel? The site has more detailed specs section plus at the bottom a calculator for the PSU where you enter your components to calculate wattage you need

Once you start to study it, you get into it, if some terms puzzle you, google it. In assembly maybe the more critical parts for someone who has never done it is applying the paste on CPU, I think these days clipping the cooling block on the CPU is user friendly. Slotting in RAM modules is another thing to look up, it probably even includes instructions how to press them into the slots (those are numbered, ATX mobo comes with instructions into which slots they go when they come in pairs). The rest is a mechanical job, just some screws and connectors, each connector is custom, can only plug it where it belongs. You will like it more if you assemble it yourself.
Great post mate thank you so much, I will be changing the case and the motherboard to the ATX full size, I had no idea about any of the different options for size.

Also, this is for a store in Tamworth which is close enough for me to go and pick them up, as the cost added to the price was almost £200 and 10-15 days waiting for it too, I have no idea how to build but a few friends have done it before so I'm sure it should be fine getting it all set up.

definitely also 14th gen will be out next few months, as much as its painful, even to me, I'd wait to upgrade, I'm tempted to make a new system for 14th gen not sure yet :P

if I was going to build one right now, I'd grab something like this... although I'd go for the 4070 maybe, I like the 80 series, but unsure why they have doubled in price since the 3080 series -.- grabbed that for £600 odd during the "GPU struggle"

Yeah a few other people said that, but also said the CPU doesn't need to be crazy to run games? as long as it's decent.

Whoops777

LOMCN Member
Sep 27, 2022
Lol I've just had to put my all in one PC into a computer repair shop to re install windows I think hes putting windows xp or 7 on it

Tbh
Mind the fact I only understand half of constructing a PC

Isn't there PC sites with these setting of building any good

E.g could you defi any computer selling in shops completely

I am 36 years old and I remember buying a Dell XPS from dell.com it was a laptop cost me 2.5k

After it was stolen lol 😂

Then I got a PC from mesh computers 10x award winners of pcs since 1987

I can remember in my garage when I lived at my mum's I had a AION server going I think it was lightning 4.0

I have now recently got the google pixel fold phone 1 month old now and that was 2k

I got

it on contract unlimited data lol

I have bought 3 dedicated servers in my time on mir

As for my own personal PC

It depends completely how you use it maybe Yeah for true personal use

Most ppl use dedicated servers to host and practically a cool PC at home

Wish you best mate

The best specs on the XPS was dual core 3.5ghz
16 GB ram 1 TB I was only 22 years old

The PC I got from mesh
Was
Amd core 9 3.5 ghz
32gb ram
1tb
That cost 800pounds sterling

JohnBarny

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2003
Ya Mums

Want to be careful with them NZXT AIO and ram height in some cases, ******* fans so thick when combined with rad they can be blocked by the ram.

Want to watch them NZXT AIO and ram height in some cases, fans are so thick they can block the ram. speaking from experience:ROFLMAO:

Dremel did the job though

1696884754718.png

Reactions: Martyn and Jev

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Want to be careful with them NZXT AIO and ram height in some cases, ******* fans so thick when combined with rad they can be blocked by the ram.

Want to watch them NZXT AIO and ram height in some cases, fans are so thick they can block the ram. speaking from experience:ROFLMAO:

Dremel did the job though

View attachment 32874
I've got a kranken in a Define R7, (wanted this case for yonks) and it seems all good tbh :P need to up date my parts stuff over on my shitty site -.-

Had many cases throughout the years and Fractal seem to be solid, don't think I'd steer away from them unless NZXT made a half decent one again :P

Symtax

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 3, 2016
Worthing, West Sussex

intel i5, at least 16g of ram, a nice £200+ graphics card which can fit on your motherboard, and you're all set for that type of stuff.
But the 16g of ram is very needed with a nice card in-order to play 60fps/4k, without bottlenecking anything.
And ensure your PSU is at least 600+ watts I'd say... bingo.
Don't over-spend yourself when it's not needed :)), my 1080 can still play any game on high settings like a champ.

(motherboard can range anywhere from £50 - £150, ram 16g £32, gpu £130-£150, psu £50, intel i5 £220.. = £500 for the main computer parts to run games nicely).

(Also ensure the parts you buy can also fit on-to your motherboard, ram sticks... power supply cables are fit for purpose on all electronics, graphics card etc... you won't want to buy a motherboard and realize you need to return/replace anything, every persons worse nightmare. Many computer shops can guide you in the right way/places).

Last edited:

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
intel i5, at least 16g of ram, a nice £200+ graphics card which can fit on your motherboard, and you're all set for that type of stuff.
But the 16g of ram is very needed with a nice card in-order to play 60fps/4k, without bottlenecking anything.
And ensure your PSU is at least 600+ watts I'd say... bingo.
Don't over-spend yourself when it's not needed :)), my 1080 can still play any game on high settings like a champ.

(motherboard can range anywhere from £50 - £150, ram 16g £32, gpu £130-£150, psu £50, intel i5 £220.. = £500 for the main computer parts to run games nicely).

(Also ensure the parts you buy can also fit on-to your motherboard, ram sticks... power supply cables are fit for purpose on all electronics, graphics card etc... you won't want to buy a motherboard and realize you need to return/replace anything, every persons worse nightmare. Many computer shops can guide you in the right way/places).
Thanks mate, looking to get this sorted over the weekend.

Then comes the fun part, trying to build it lol! going to ask for help as I'll make a mess, or worse, end up breaking something!

Reactions: Symtax

blazee

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 3, 2012
Thanks mate, looking to get this sorted over the weekend.

Then comes the fun part, trying to build it lol! going to ask for help as I'll make a mess, or worse, end up breaking something!
Not that difficult putting it together mate there is plenty of videos out there, but ide recommend buying a set of anti static wrist straps or a anti static mat as the first time round according to my local PC shop I fried my mobo somehow and only realised once it was all put together which obviously resulted in me building it twice lol, got to give it to ebuyer though they replaced it without any issues.

Best of luck

• Haha

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Not that difficult putting it together mate there is plenty of videos out there, but ide recommend buying a set of anti static wrist straps or a anti static mat as the first time round according to my local PC shop I fried my mobo somehow and only realised once it was all put together which obviously resulted in me building it twice lol, got to give it to ebuyer though they replaced it without any issues.

Best of luck

Yeah I've heard about this happening before, I've seen a few of PC Centrics videos on Youtube and he makes it look easy, the main thing for me is keeping it all tidy too.

Cheers

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
When I was new to building PC, I visited a friend as he was going to give me something for the computer and he pulled out a huge drawer with a big mess of electronic boards entangled in cables, no static proof bags there :eek:, from which he pulled out the part I wanted. That was eye opening experience for me, that those electronic boards are not something you need to be afraid to handle. Just need a little educated handling to be sure, like holding parts by their edges but forget about grounding, as long as you are not on some carpet that makes your fingers spark when touching anything.

Computers are modular, standardized everything and help is everywhere on net, even YT videos which didn't exist when I was starting myself. I'd go with more RAM than 16GB because that's today's standard for non gaming computers, those 2x16GB you have in OP should be OK and you will probably have two slots empty for adding more later.

• Love
Reactions: Omnibus and Pusha