[Other] Possibly building a server - Whats your thoughts

Join Discord

Phantom

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Feb 4, 2012
I've been playing around with the King & Holley files for the last week or so and I'm thinking about opening a server, however I'm not 100% sure on what needs to be done to bring players to it. Initially I was thinking of doing a Mir 3 Vanilla Server, but from looking at the files and seeing the posts on here, I don't get the feeling anyone would play a server that is almost 100% identical to the official (though I could be wrong). So what I want to know from you lovely people here at lomcn, is what do you want in a server, as I know what I want as a player. But it's not just about me and so your input is much appreciated.

What sort of rates would you want, IE: x4, x8, x16, 32
I don't think anything higher than that, is a great choice for a server. As it would require constant updates in order to keep players entertained and as I'm the only working on this, I was thinking more of along the lines of a bit update about once a month. Ok so what about things like events, would players prefer a weekly, fortnightly or monthly events and what sort of events would you like. Or is it not worth open a server, what sort of play count could I expect.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

/Phantom

taifun

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 7, 2012
Romania
I've been playing around with the King & Holley files for the last week or so and I'm thinking about opening a server, however I'm not 100% sure on what needs to be done to bring players to it. Initially I was thinking of doing a Mir 3 Vanilla Server, but from looking at the files and seeing the posts on here, I don't get the feeling anyone would play a server that is almost 100% identical to the official (though I could be wrong). So what I want to know from you lovely people here at lomcn, is what do you want in a server, as I know what I want as a player. But it's not just about me and so your input is much appreciated.
What sort of rates would you want, IE: x4, x8, x16, 32
I don't think anything higher than that, is a great choice for a server. As it would require constant updates in order to keep players entertained and as I'm the only working on this, I was thinking more of along the lines of a bit update about once a month. Ok so what about things like events, would players prefer a weekly, fortnightly or monthly events and what sort of events would you like. Or is it not worth open a server, what sort of play count could I expect.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

/Phantom

Mate, im not a cause of nature (im retard or what u thinking) im not
Some argues:if players and the comunity dont support a new server ,and the server closing,why wonder that server closed?
in now days is hard to make a server and to host it 24/7

Phantom

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Feb 4, 2012
Mate, im not a cause of nature (im retard or what u thinking) im not
Some argues:if players and the comunity dont support a new server ,and the server closing,why wonder that server closed?
in now days is hard to make a server and to host it 24/7
Well I can make it and I can certainly host it 24/7, as I have a dedicated connection.

Geordiehc

Mad Dog Geo
VIP
Jul 4, 2007
Redditch, UK
Take some knowledge about the last 50 servers that have come out who didnt have a clue, learn in depth about coding, take your time, months if not years.
If you dont know what your doing it will show really quickly and people will get bored.
Once you've got a very idea about what you can do then you will get alot of ideas about what you should do.

Phantom

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Feb 4, 2012
Over the last week, I have read through near enough every thread to do with both sets of files. Nothing in these files seems hard at all, for the moment I have a server up and running and implementing things to the server is simple enough and coming along. I would rather that people had some input, as at the rate I'm going, the server will all be about me and it's not really what I want and I don't think people would play a server if it's all about what I want.

/Phantom

Exwizz

Legend
Legendary
Feb 1, 2010
Newcastle
You cant really make an official clone with either of them files, they only thing that would be as close to official would be the caves that's about it really.

I'm just waiting for the source to be finished for a mir3 server with +100 usercount

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
You cant really make an official clone with either of them files, they only thing that would be as close to official would be the caves that's about it really.

I'm just waiting for the source to be finished for a mir3 server with +100 usercount
same tony, cant wait for lomcn team to finish those delphi files... will be mint ;)

Ancient

LOMCN Member
May 8, 2007
Ideal server needs to have a x8 experience, engcouraging group hunting/leveling, balancing the three classes, spicing it up with new things, Also an active Gm thats not just in it for the donations. People have forgotten the roots of legend of mir, It is simply to level at a steady rate with friends. Create a guild maybe, a few guilds all competing for items and levels. Therefore inducing PVP ( The whole point in LOM) Then Sabuk And DesertMudWall are essential. And The walls have to have something like caves etc so thats its worth fighting for. Also you need to make gold significant. I have lots of ideas. I was going to create one but i dont have the time. but Phantom if you want to create a great server i can help you as far as gameplay etc. :)

Geordiehc

Mad Dog Geo
VIP
Jul 4, 2007
Redditch, UK
Perhaps some info on who you are etc would be good as well.
Dunno about everyone else but when a new user signs up to lomcn and makes a server it usually means bad news to me.
Surely you must have played Mir 3 before and have some previous knowledge of servers?