Pretty speechless if i'm honest.

Join Discord

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
Happy server uses type 1 libs and image reading like the org c files released before the lib 2 change

Akaras

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jan 14, 2014
so it is best to fix the map editor to show the how it will look in the client? for the middle layer... currently it is different so something needs a fix hehe

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
so it is best to fix the map editor to show the how it will look in the client? for the middle layer... currently it is different so something needs a fix hehe
Why does thinking about this make my head hurt?

Surely having the client show what the editor currently shows is the way forward? As the editor is the one that actually looks correct, no?

Akaras

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jan 14, 2014
I understand what mir2pion is saying about the mir2 middle layer being used as a "cosmetic background layer" and how it is different to the mir3 one

we could however "fix" the client so all the images on the middle layer that are 1 tile appear as background "cosmetic" layer (already does this) and add a bit of code that draws the middle layer as just behind the front layer IF it is a tilestrip type image that is larger than 1 cell height... then you could add the tiles that are conflicting front layer tiles to the middle layer and it "should" appear correctly

I agree my head hurts too :) lol

EDIT: or I could edit the editor to show how it will look in the client... which you could still add tilestrips to the middle layer to try and fix conflicts on the front layer but they will have to be offset by the height of the image and they will appear behind the player... so not perfect if trying to add something overlapping where the player can walk behind

Last edited:

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Has anyone got a mirror for the Happy server client?
Is MediaFire crapping out? Or it has some limits? I could upload later tonight to Mega uploads, which I like less, because it has limit on downloads, makes you wait some hours before you can continue downloading with GB sized files.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Is MediaFire crapping out? Or it has some limits? I could upload later tonight to Mega uploads, which I like less, because it has limit on downloads, makes you wait some hours before you can continue downloading with GB sized files.
No idea. I downloaded the first one earlier & doing the 2nd now.

It's not that important, so don't go out of your way. Just wanted to check out the data files.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
we could however "fix" the client so all the images on the middle layer that are 1 tile appear as background "cosmetic" layer (already does this) and add a bit of code that draws the middle layer as just behind the front layer IF it is a tilestrip type image that is larger than 1 cell height... then you could add the tiles that are conflicting front layer tiles to the middle layer and it "should" appear correctly
I am definitely for this alternative.

If you take this route, the end result will be the same functionality that mir3 maps can achieve with its two layers for objects built from tile strips (mir3 middle & front layers working as alternate object layers, enabling you to resolve tag conflicts) and as a bonus, we could still use the middle layer for those ground features as we do now.

And it would be more than just functionality - we could build new maps with all objects on this fixed middle layer and resolve the tag conflicts using the current front layer, exactly as mir3 maps have been built.

The 'old' mir2 maps could be left as they are, just the new ones would use the middle layer as the main object layer. And in that case, those new maps would use the same layer terminology as mir3 maps, the same layer usage.

And as you say, if you build objects with single tiles, which means with Smtiles size tiles, 48x32, then you naturally appear on top of such objects, no matter which layer they are on.
Smtiles are separated from the object tiles because they mesh together in that special way, like the back tiles do. Otherwise they are the same as object tiles, so if you build with single object tiles on middle or front layer, you are in effect creating a ground to walk on (if you don't put walk limit on it).

Happy server uses type 1 libs and image reading like the org c files released before the lib 2 change
So, is there some library type conversion program? The maps from Happy server work (that is most of them), with the current default database, I found only several broken ones but there's too many maps to view most of them, never mind all.

Last edited:

awesome

Microsoft
Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
I would really love to make a way to auto generate maps but to stitch all the tiles needed for the objects or by using pre created objects find a way of them not overlapping or causing problems blocking player movement and trapping players would be quite a challenge and require very specific code for our files (I doubt I am good enough at coding currently to do this)

I do however have an idea I want to explore that is to set up some maps in the random style like in Diablo3... I originally wanted to do this so it creates maps on the fly in game but getting the maps populated with mobs and sending the same maps to every player seemed too complicated for me to do so I have now decided it would be better to do the map creation in the map editor and create normal maps that way

Thats one of the reasons I am updating the map editor... so I can make the objects I need and add some data so the objects know how to fit together correctly... then create the code to randomize a map

you have to add options to generate 1 map only then change its capacity to generate more maps
on the objects feature you can program rules on each object on how it can be placed on a map
each object can be programed so when added on a generated map it behaves the same way
object 1 for example always 4 cells left, right or anything else always
object2 next always to object X when desert terrain <<--- example
etc.
the object list is 7400+
program each object that's key, and for terrain add some global rules of how grass desert ice snow etc. should generate
each object is going to be programmed to appear next to another object
each object has to have relocation rules it can follow
you will have to loosely add a random value between minimum maximum for each object's location
it will randomize all locations of all objects
for example the generator is set to run 200 objects on a desert grass and snow (in the center)
it goes through the list of objects to add by reading the programmed instructions of each object
the objects could also call another object to match the instructions it was programmed to follow
object 1 always next to object 5 in between by min 5 to max 20 map cells etc.
min max is important and all the limits that can be added are good
create all limits then assign which objects follow which limits
this program is an empty program made in c sharp, it has only components but no code
if it's not possible to create we can cancel
the best way to create batch is to create 1 map at a time first then add an input field to determine how many maps
you can also think of it as when you create a macro where you automate the create process
the macro simply repeats 1 map at a time until you stop it
make it so you click a button to create a map, then add an input + the button to create batch
the input determines how many maps

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 39

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I do however have an idea I want to explore that is to set up some maps in the random style like in Diablo3... I originally wanted to do this so it creates maps on the fly in game but getting the maps populated with mobs and sending the same maps to every player seemed too complicated for me to do so I have now decided it would be better to do the map creation in the map editor and create normal maps that way

I tried this too! But yeah, never got close to making it work properly in-game.
The best I managed was to pre-build sections of the map that were modular. (Pretty much the same way most ARPG's do it.)

Ended up just building 5 or 6 variations of the complete map using the modular set, which is super quick once they are made, then using the NPC to randomly assign them. (It was instanced so worked fine that way) Basically so you could run the same map 2 or 3 times but it would be slightly different each time.

--

As far as randomly generating whole maps, I just don't see the appeal. Dropping a bunch of objects on a map set distance apart shouldn't be that difficult. Making it actually look good, layering the ground tones with objects, on top of objects, is a world apart.

Last edited:

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
I'm not reading all of this... what is the issue with layers?

It seems to crop up every post i swear?
Post automatically merged:

As far as randomly generating whole maps, I just don't see the appeal. Dropping a bunch of objects on a map set distance apart shouldn't be that difficult. Making it actually look good, layering the ground tones with objects, on top of objects, is a world apart.

@Lilcooldoode tried something similar to this, the outcome wasn't great if i recall..

@Jamie has done automated cliffs from a set of objects, so he may be willing to share some wise carrots with you/akaras on how he went about getting the client to process set objects. In theory though i guess it would be a similar code base to the draw tiles where it picks up the grass/sand fades appropriately?

• Haha
Reactions: LOMValkyrie

Akaras

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jan 14, 2014
I'm not reading all of this... what is the issue with layers?

It seems to crop up every post i swear?

it is when they are using the middle layer in the map editor it shows differently in game if they are using tiles that have a height bigger than a single cell... if they use tiles from the mir3 librarys then it shows correctly (I think)

Knowing that occasionally the front layer may have tiles you wish to overlap I'm suggesting editing the client so single tiles on the middle layer are drawn on the background but larger tiles are drawn almost like a second front layer... OR... we could just fix the editor to show what it will look like in game and you can offset the image placement but it will still appear in the background if the player walks on it

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
we could just fix the editor to show what it will look like in game and you can offset the image placement
But then you have no idea if its right while making a map? Unless you go in-game and check, so it's no better off. o_O
Also, trying to place other things around disjointed, out of place strips sounds horrible.

Still not understanding why you need to do anything more than changing the client so it matches the already correctly drawn map editor.

Akaras

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jan 14, 2014
I was just explaining what was said in the post so far... I will look at editing the client as it seems like the best way (unless I run into any problems I wasn't expecting of course :P)

On a side note: I've uploaded a lot of Shanda Object .x files to the original MapEditor Objects release post :D

• Love
Reactions: Chalace and Sanjian

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I noticed one awkward thing. With the Object folder in Data, when you save an object in there, the editor remembers this place and when you go to open maps, it initially opens in Object folder and you need to trace back to the root of mir install and open map folder... and next if you want to save an object, it opens the save dialog in the map folder...

Wouldn't it be better if the Object folder was in the root of mir install, next to map folder? That would make for a shorter switch between the two folders.

I think iJam's editor version does have the Object folder in root but still needs a copy of it in Data, if I recall it right. That implementation is confusing as we found in past and likely it was motivated by the awkward switching between map and object folders.

I have no idea if the map saving & opening could be separated from the object saving, so that the dialog window would always open in the Map folder for maps save/open operations and in Object folder for object save operation.

I actually save the maps I work on in the Object folder, not only to find them easier but for the above switching btw object & map folders (in the map folder, your map gets 'lost' among the many maps there).

Last edited:

Akaras

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jan 14, 2014
I have released the code for the updates... link to release thread

I am currentlly working on my newer version of my WeaponEditor (in Unity) so want to focus on that for a while... I might make a teaser post about the new project soon but I don't want to get everyones hopes up too soon as you all know how slow I am updating projects lol :P ... although to be fair I'm not "that" far from being able to create Mir3 War/Tao/Wiz weapons (I have done just over 300 of the 1520 frames) its the sin weapons I'm thinking will take the most time

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
Has anyone got the mir3/shanda mir 2 objects built? They can release, I think the biggest thing with people making new maps with the new objects is you have to build them yourself....