Price check

smoochy boys on tour

Jicaa

Pooslice
Golden Oldie
Jul 9, 2003
Could someone give me a price (preferably best you can find) on the following components?

Amd Athlon 64 FX-57
256MB XFX PCI-E GF7800GTX
Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLI
2GB - OCZ Platinum - 2-3-2-5 (Dual Channel)

I don't mind if it's being shipped, I mainly only know the pricey UK stores... not that 'up' with the best deals.

Wittin

Ex-Δdministrator
VIP
May 7, 2003
Jicaa said:
Could someone give me a price (preferably best you can find) on the following components?

Amd Athlon 64 FX-57
Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLI

I don't mind if it's being shipped, I mainly only know the pricey UK stores... not that 'up' with the best deals.
I use overclockers.co.uk for my components, their 'This week only' section is fantastic for picking up bargains. Personally on a system with a spec that high, I'd b looking at the AMD dual cores for performance to value ratio.

Jicaa

Pooslice
Golden Oldie
Jul 9, 2003
Lyrical G said:
I use overclockers.co.uk for my components, their 'This week only' section is fantastic for picking up bargains. Personally on a system with a spec that high, I'd b looking at the AMD dual cores for performance to value ratio.

The FX-57 works at 2.8GHz (64 bit).

Dual Core 4800+ which is the highest works at 2.4GHz. (on overclockers anyway).

The FX57 beats duel core all over the place, but at £728.44 what do you expect.

Jicaa

Pooslice
Golden Oldie
Jul 9, 2003
While i'm here asking for help, urban.. or whoever:

When I get this new MB it will be pci express enabled. if I opt to keep my 6600 GT graphics card, which is AGP... will it still run ok? Or will I need to buy a pci version? There are converters if not, no?

Jicaa

Pooslice
Golden Oldie
Jul 9, 2003
Right, so the price i've got from overclockers (excluding p&p if they charge) is:

£1533.14

That's the price to beat :P

£1121.95 w/o gfx card

Jicaa

Pooslice
Golden Oldie
Jul 9, 2003
Blaminator said:
i dont think you're going to beat that, lol

eBay beats most of the prices hands down, but I don't want the price of the components I buy to reflect if it were on eBay cheap on the day.

You can buy an FX57 on ebay shipped from USA for under £600 (for example).

Wittin

Ex-Δdministrator
VIP
May 7, 2003
Jicaa said:
The FX-57 works at 2.8GHz (64 bit).

Dual Core 4800+ which is the highest works at 2.4GHz. (on overclockers anyway).

The FX57 beats duel core all over the place, but at £728.44 what do you expect.
But what you fail to see is that it is 2 processors working at 2.4GHz similtaniously. However I'm unsure as to what gain this gives you over a single processor, I believe it's around 50%.

Lets do the math

2.4/2 = 1.2 (50%)

2.4 + 1.2 = 3.6

Correct me if I'm wrong but a dual core will be running at 3.6GHz+

Jicaa

Pooslice
Golden Oldie
Jul 9, 2003
Lyrical G said:
But what you fail to see is that it is 2 processors working at 2.4GHz similtaniously. However I'm unsure as to what gain this gives you over a single processor, I believe it's around 50%.

Lets do the math

2.4/2 = 1.2 (50%)

2.4 + 1.2 = 3.6

Correct me if I'm wrong but a dual core will be running at 3.6GHz+

I'm well aware of the advantage two cpus has over one, although I think you'll find there's quite a debate over which is a better performance cpu. The 4800+ X2 and FX-57 are very closely matched, and from the articles I’ve read, I’m going with the majority. The FX-57 in many eyes is the best performance gaming CPU in the world currently on the market.

Dual core processors can be very fast, no doubt. But single core systems are generally faster in single core based software, such as gaming and software applications.

Wittin

Ex-Δdministrator
VIP
May 7, 2003
Jicaa said:
I'm well aware of the advantage two cpus has over one, although I think you'll find there's quite a debate over which is a better performance cpu. The 4800+ X2 and FX-57 are very closely matched, and from the articles I’ve read, I’m going with the majority. The FX-57 in many eyes is the best performance gaming CPU in the world currently on the market.

Dual core processors can be very fast, no doubt. But single core systems are generally faster in single core based software, such as gaming and software applications.
Wheather it be fractionally faster or not (in which case you wouldn't notice a difference), the dual core processors are somewhat cheaper than the FX-57 chips anyhow. As i said, I'm only looking at performance-to-buck ratio.

Edit: As for the part "But single core systems are generally faster in single core based software, such as gaming and software applications", I assume your refering to the threading (which i don't pretend to know much about), but I would assume that the dual core would out perform in a multi-tasking environment, whilst the FX-57 would be more efficient on a system with less applications running at once.

Jicaa

Pooslice
Golden Oldie
Jul 9, 2003
Lyrical G said:
Edit: As for the part "But single core systems are generally faster in single core based software, such as gaming and software applications", I assume your refering to the threading (which i don't pretend to know much about), but I would assume that the dual core would out perform in a multi-tasking environment, whilst the FX-57 would be more efficient on a system with less applications running at once.

That's correct. So when i'm playing CSS and BF2 the FX57 will perform better, but if I were to open notepad 1000 times then duel cores would be better.

Look around on the net to find the pro's and con's.

I probably will end up buying the dual cores.. for the long run they'll put me in better suit, for a 5% increase in speed it's not worth the extra £100. The biggest question is if the dual cores will really hit off big time, we all know Intel have the market... it's a question of if the game makers take the risk.

It's a gamble either way, I was just up for a debate.. and there's no question that for what I want the FX57's are the best out there, heck, if I can find a cheaper one who knows ;).

Last edited:

Wittin

Ex-Δdministrator
VIP
May 7, 2003
Jicaa said:
That's correct. So when i'm playing CSS and BF2 the FX57 will perform better, but if I were to open notepad 1000 times then duel cores would be better.

Look around on the net to find the pro's and con's.

I probably will end up buying the dual cores.. for the long run they'll put me in better suit, for a 5% increase in speed it's not worth the extra £100. The biggest question is if the dual cores will really hit off big time, we all know Intel have the market... it's a question of if the game makers take the risk.

It's a gamble either way, I was just up for a debate.. and there's no question that for what I want the FX57's are the best out there, heck, if I can find a cheaper one who knows ;).
Intel currently have their own dual core CPUs with 64bit extended memory, However I think generally things are starting to swing more towards AMDs way. They are becoming more recognised accross the world and net.

I personally would go for the dual cores because it suits the way in which I use my system, I often find my task bar filled with applications, such as FireFox, MSN, MediaPlayer, Steam & Anti-Malware apps. But what it all comes down to is how you use your machine, and how much that £100 or so would benefit you :)

Jicaa

Pooslice
Golden Oldie
Jul 9, 2003
Lyrical G said:
Intel currently have their own dual core CPUs with 64bit extended memory, However I think generally things are starting to swing more towards AMDs way. They are becoming more recognised accross the world and net.

I personally would go for the dual cores because it suits the way in which I use my system, I often find my task bar filled with applications, such as FireFox, MSN, MediaPlayer, Steam & Anti-Malware apps. But what it all comes down to is how you use your machine, and how much that £100 or so would benefit you :)

Yeah my taskbar gets filled with a lot more than that, I don't bother to tidy up either. Along with never turning my pc off. (H)

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Jicaa said:

Amd Athlon 64 FX-57
Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLI

You just stole my system. Except I don't have the ****ty motherboard. I'd get Crucial Ballistix (or Ballistix Tracers) if you got the $$.

kud125

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 18, 2004
ye i read about that fatal1ty board in my mag, says its highly overrated, one of the best functions is the instant cmos clearance button and "god" control panel on it

looks nice, but high overrated apparantely, i wud choose different mobo if i were you jicaa