Programs?

hallmat

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 19, 2007
@inflikted

is there a law against posting IP's or reporting if not then im sure that would be a good thing to develop

maybe include that in version 2 lol,

anything else?

Inflikted

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 4, 2003
maybe make it as a signup service.. for GM's only? so its only privately viewed for server owners.
i mean the IP's are all there already for us to see.. in the logs. this just points out the cheaters IP's/username :) to help other GM's. cause some players are smart.. and use the exact same name on all servers hehe :)
i dont think its illegal :) not in america atleast. if you did something wrong, you deserve to get caught. why should it be privately known the usernames who cheat :) this will hopefully also deter people from cheating.. as they will know... that if they cheat in one server and get caught.. it makes it much less likely they will do it again in another place :) like their IP/username is 'redflagged' on other servers.. so GM's can monitor these people.

mapadale

maybe make it as a signup service.. for GM's only? so its only privately viewed for server owners.
i mean the IP's are all there already for us to see.. in the logs. this just points out the cheaters IP's/username :) to help other GM's. cause some players are smart.. and use the exact same name on all servers hehe :)
i dont think its illegal :) not in america atleast. if you did something wrong, you deserve to get caught. why should it be privately known the usernames who cheat :) this will hopefully also deter people from cheating.. as they will know... that if they cheat in one server and get caught.. it makes it much less likely they will do it again in another place :) like their IP/username is 'redflagged' on other servers.. so GM's can monitor these people.
First off, yes it is illeagal to publicully display a person IP address without there consent or the consent of there ISP.

@Matt
What you can do is have it so that when a player is banned from the server through the program it automaticullys uploads the IP address to the rest of the owners/users that are using it - This is put into a vetting section of the program.

The reason for the vetting section, is that you don't deserve to be banned from every server due to cheating on one. Also an email should be sent to all users of the program explaing to them why the user has been banned - The best way for this to work is to have it log and load it to a database of all users that are using the software and auto uploads to the other programs.

Inflikted

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 4, 2003
i dont think its illegal.. anyone heard of punkbuster, its used in about 30+ games? :) the masterban lists... which features 10000+ banned users due to cheating.. has their IP's aswell hehe :)

IP is a public thing.. its not some secret password or secret identity.. i guess its different in the UK maybe. not a big deal in america.

and i didnt say they should have a global ban.. but they should be globally redflagged.. so a GM knows this person has cheated on another server.. and to possibly keep an eye on them.. people rarely change their habits :) so its likely they might cheat again.

thats all :)

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
Don't have to use IPs - use something like Bios Build Date - it's very rare two are the same - such as in 10 years one company only found 2 matching ones.
Ban people using this - that would be a more permanent solution to IP Bans.

Coly

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 31, 2005
Germany
@PunkBuster use HWID and you can Spoof it with a tool..
@BiosBuildDate you can chenge in the Registry easy.
(for Bios things he need to Capture the raw Data and this need knowlage)

hallmat

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 19, 2007
after looking over some of my old account connection logs Ip banning is going to be next to usless as if your on some broadband service that uses dynamic ip's then it will change one of the old users has connected with about 30 different ip's.

so i doubt that would work,

the only other way is Mac, but you can change that.

or Processor id but im sure that is illigel

Inflikted

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 4, 2003
use like a network card mac address.. or hardware id.. i dont see how any of this is illegal hehe. must be really strict in UK hehe. you cant do much with any of this info.. and if your scared of it getting released, just make an encryption code to it. so... each user is assigned to a special code.. that is built off their hardware ID encrypted

punkbuster GUID is an encryption code built off your CDKEY and hardware ID... the problem you are speaking of coly.. which i think was the bug that allowed people to spoof as many GUIDS as they wanted, i believe it was patched about 1 year ago. the only game that doesnt use this method would be enemy territory.. as it doesnt have CDkey's to work with.
there is no perfect anticheat system :)
but for the average user... it stops most of them.. if you talk to most gamers they probably cant tell you how to change a GUID hehe. :)

Last edited:

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
honestly - get some info from the bios - it does require some knowledge but it's a good way to ban people and it is hard to spoof .

Coly

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 31, 2005
Germany
yep shorty... I grab the Bios info with asm and use a bit from this. On the other hand I use some other things and on the End I have for one user 10 HWIDS with special system we can see changes and fakes on it.
at last, all User have a Unic ID this can't be change.
@hallmat CPU-ID you find only on Intel CPU not on AMD or other.
Made a HWID with more infos or use more HWIDs to prevent Change things.

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
I'm now hoping to create a global ban system. I.E. One server that is maintained by myself and others who will colloborate on the project.
At the moment I'm coding with one other on the Meteora project so my time is fairly limited. What I would like to do is work with those who wish, especially hallmat, and create a global ban system.
One server that everyone in the mir community connects to before they can play the game.
It will require the server hosts to run a small exe of their own which connects to a global list and recieves a list of banned players.
I have created a very basic client that would be used now we just need to get building the structure of the main server and child servers.
Who's up for it?

hallmat

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 19, 2007
yay finaly something to help the community

count me in i will do some research on bios id and such.

ok done some research and that Bios info is not to hard to obtain in c#

i hae read a few articals and think i can do it

i have made a File Watcher that will report if the Mir3 file has been tampered with

erm made a small Server side Security Gui that will open up the global website, and start and stop the service

updater if it needs it

Last edited:

mapadale

Theres one issue with Bios ID's that you will come across - Companys like the one I work for use a generic Bios accross certina machines - This gives it the same ID on all machines. The only thing that is diffrent is when the Serial and product ID is put into the bios.

As for inflickteds idea of using mac address, this is a security ID and would give anyone access to your machine that has it. In the same way as an IP would - If I had access to someones mac address, I can then inturn access there OS and create myself a hidden account. Which would then give me unlimited acces to that machine and its not hard to do at all.

There is no real way of actually being able to ban anyone from an IP address, as this an easy work around. If I was on a static IP and I got banend from some where, I'd just ring my ISP and ask them to change it.

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
But why would they bother?

Because they will only cheat again, and again and again.. its what cheaters do.. they can't be bothered to play the game properly.. they won't change.. so they will get banned again and again.. eventually they will get bored.