Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
84cfa40bfd7ff5e8bed5255188ceb3341a31933b.png

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Always used BT. Only had an issue once for a few weeks in 20 years, which was the usual 'everything is fine our end' then after the 5th phonecall it magically fixes itself. Free upgrades every couple of years and new hubs/switches whenever they are needed, can't complain.

Tho they do have good and bad areas, so probably check that first. The exchnge is literally at the end of my street, so yeah...

Chriz

Captain Lurker
VIP
Mar 24, 2003
LOMCN
Moving from Virgin Media 100MB/s to Skys 80MB/s went well.

Latancy seems better for gaming.
Upload is significantly better.
Wireless solution provided has been flawless; they even supplier an additional wireless extender to boost the signal to the back of the house; finally i have wifi on the bog! (ughh Not that i would ever need it..) However this was likely because i have SkyQ as well

So far, its been very good - recommended.

Netskee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 17, 2013
Loughborough, UK
Yeh I moved to sky too and the difference is mind blowing. Very impressed. I'm now left wondering how I ever managed to live without sky q! Great bit of kit

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Yup I noticed a difference going from virgin to sky years ago lol, never been back to virgin since, but if Sky doesn’t give me an decent offer, I won’t ever go back ;)

I’ve always paid about £25 for the top end package with phone line and a static IP. Check my Vodafone think broadband monitor few posts above seems fine to me lol

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Yup I noticed a difference going from virgin to sky years ago lol, never been back to virgin since, but if Sky doesn’t give me an decent offer, I won’t ever go back ;)

I’ve always paid about £25 for the top end package with phone line and a static IP. Check my Vodafone think broadband monitor few posts above seems fine to me lol

You can barter with Sky. I threaten to cancel every year when my contract is due to end. They always give me a good deal. Just make sure you research what offers new customers can get though so you have some ammo to barter with. You can always same to them you will just cancel and sign up again as a new customer if they can't better the new customer deals.

Seanofsmeg

Staff member
Apr 6, 2015
I worked for sky for years and my advice is other than talk talk and virgin go for whoever. Personally I go with sky as know their processes inside and out and know what to expect. Use wired connection and shouldn't have issues. If you have drop outs from the router or wireless network 99 times out of 100 it has nothing to do with your isp.

People stick their wi fi routers next to electrical equipment, and fish tanks, and radiators and reflective services which wreck a routers ability to produce a healthy wi fi signal. Could have a neighbour with wireless technology broadcasting in same frequency causing issues with your device keeping up with which information is yours and which is your neigh ours but all routers provide the ability to go in and change your wireless channel to avoid this and sky's new router do it automatically.

Good luck in your search for a good isp just make sure you can make land-line calls just fine as any crackling or disturbance on your phone line affects the broadband signal (imagine old school dial up Internet days when your mum used the phone while you were chatting up people on MSN - and Internet crashed instantly)

Chriz

Captain Lurker
VIP
Mar 24, 2003
LOMCN
(imagine old school dial up Internet days when your mum used the phone while you were playing on mir)

Fixed it for you.

I used to run down stairs screaming "MUM YOU'VE KILLED ME AND I'VE DROPPED ALL MY KIT FFS GET OFF THE PHONE" :@@

Seriously though the Sky Q Wifi solution is brilliant, the engineers ensure its correctly installed and everything - they have a cool heat map app which shows the signal strengths through-out the house.

jaffar91

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 10, 2011
I was lucky when I moved house the 2nd time (5 years ago), we moved right next to a newly built mast. I was paying £45pcm for BT infinity, bloody loved it and had literally 0 problems (except the wife turning it off accidently when she was supposed to turn something else off!!!!)

Haven't really been happy with talk talk since we moved last year (around £25pcm) it drops out randomly. Serious issues playing xbox live on it to, any online game I play I have to plug in the ethernet cable or it aids - even with the cable its drops out a low percent of time.

I think the same with anything, you get what you pay for.

---------- Post Merged at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Fixed it for you.

I used to run down stairs screaming "MUM YOU'VE KILLED ME AND I'VE DROPPED ALL MY KIT FFS GET OFF THE PHONE" :@@

Seriously though the Sky Q Wifi solution is brilliant, the engineers ensure its correctly installed and everything - they have a cool heat map app which shows the signal strengths through-out the house.

Ahhh the dial up days, pot up and get pets for a guild hunt, mum says 'I need to use the phone' literally as you start the hunt. Poor woman used to take so much abuse, I blame mir XD

Seanofsmeg

Staff member
Apr 6, 2015
Fixed it for you.

"MUM YOU'VE KILLED ME AND I'VE DROPPED ALL MY KIT FFS GET OFF THE PHONE" :@@

HHAHAHAA! I remember the pain of them days and sitting waiting until her phone call had ended going "Please guild don't be past KS KR room in BDD as I will get raped trying to RT through there and dont want to miss out on the EXP!"

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
You can barter with Sky. I threaten to cancel every year when my contract is due to end. They always give me a good deal. Just make sure you research what offers new customers can get though so you have some ammo to barter with. You can always same to them you will just cancel and sign up again as a new customer if they can't better the new customer deals.

they usually do give me a good deal, but nothing was coming up on the system, wasn't too fussed as pay £24/mo for my vodafone and it works fine :)

need FTTC to come to my area, as I won't ever go back to Virgin again lol