[2.3] Server Lag

Spudbomb485

LOMCN n00bie
Jan 9, 2020
Hi Guys,

long time player, recent server build, 2.3 JP Code files, all works well and server running perfectly over local network however, when people log in over internet they are getting unplayable lag, has anyone has this before or could explain why this lag is occurring for remote players please?

thank you

Spud
Post automatically merged:

Little more information, my broadband upload speed is around 10mb, looking at my router traffic graphs I can see that is barely being tickled, same with server resources allocation,

Server specs:

CPU: 8 core / 3.3Ghz
RAM: 8GB
Gigabit LAN

It seems to be when the server gets up to load (between 30-50k mobs) remote users suffer, but everything works perfectly on LAN

Appreciate any information or feedback

Cheers

Spud

Last edited:

mistodon

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 16, 2003
Do you have a step by step guide to getting a 2.3 server working. It's all I've been looking for since I decided to try get back into mir. I cant get the 2 3 working from the server files and stuff in the 2.3 section. Maybe it's just cause I'm useless at working a PC.

Upvote 0

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Not looked at 2.3 files so not 100% sure how spawns work on there, but are you clearing a lot of mobs at once and then they try to bulk respawn (spawning a ton of mobs at the same time)?

Also what is your local network speeds like?
What kind of connection do you have?

Upvote 0

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Quick respawn times can solve this somewhat? So a lot doesn’t build up

Like if u had 20 minute respawns for instance by the time it was respawn time a shed load would need to spawn... stick it on a 3 minute timer will keep the spawns frequent as there killed? (Numbers used to exaggerate)

Also staggering the spawns on a particular floor, like WT KR does normally where your get a certain mob type spawn after another in different frequencies

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Spudbomb485

LOMCN n00bie
Jan 9, 2020
Not looked at 2.3 files so not 100% sure how spawns work on there, but are you clearing a lot of mobs at once and then they try to bulk respawn (spawning a ton of mobs at the same time)?

Also what is your local network speeds like?
What kind of connection do you have?

Hey,

Thank you for your reply, Local network speed is gigabit and internet speed is 50 down and 10 up

Not clearing hardly any mobs, total mib count gets up to just over 50k spawns it doesn’t respawn after that until some mobs cleared I don’t think

Cheers,

Spud

Quick respawn times can solve this somewhat? So a lot doesn’t build up

Like if u had 20 minute respawns for instance by the time it was respawn time a shed load would need to spawn... stick it on a 3 minute timer will keep the spawns frequent as there killed? (Numbers used to exaggerate)

Also staggering the spawns on a particular floor, like WT KR does normally where your get a certain mob type spawn after another in different frequencies

Hi Hercules,

Thank you for your reply, I’m guessing changing the mob spawns would improve things but I’m only guessing, do you know how I might go about reducing them?

I found that commenting out some of the mob spawn locations in the mobgen text file reduced the overall spawn count a little but would be interested to find an easier way to limit spawns overall for specific areas

Also, I can’t post a screenshot at the moment as I’m on my phone but, from the server config screen there are a lot of values which unfortunately when you hover over them, the explanation text is in Korean so I’ve got no idea what they do, will post a screenshot later if you wouldn’t mind taking a look and see if you’ve seen t before or it makes sense

Cheers,

Spud

Do you have a step by step guide to getting a 2.3 server working. It's all I've been looking for since I decided to try get back into mir. I cant get the 2 3 working from the server files and stuff in the 2.3 section. Maybe it's just cause I'm useless at working a PC.
I’ll see if I can get them working first bud

Hi Hercules,

Thank you for your reply, I’m guessing changing the mob spawns would improve things but I’m only guessing, do you know how I might go about reducing them?

I found that commenting out some of the mob spawn locations in the mobgen text file reduced the overall spawn count a little but would be interested to find an easier way to limit spawns overall for specific areas

Also, I can’t post a screenshot at the moment as I’m on my phone but, from the server config screen there are a lot of values which unfortunately when you hover over them, the explanation text is in Korean so I’ve got no idea what they do, will post a screenshot later if you wouldn’t mind taking a look and see if you’ve seen t before or it makes sense

Cheers,

Spud

Screenshot attached

Attachments

• C3C27893-AEE7-473A-9785-3A0B22EB7BFE.png
    C3C27893-AEE7-473A-9785-3A0B22EB7BFE.png
    267.9 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

Spudbomb485

LOMCN n00bie
Jan 9, 2020
Hi guys,

After much painful editing I have changed the mob amount of spawns and the spawn delays,

this has definitely eased the issue as with such frequent spawns (up to 50k mobs spawning anywhere from 20 seconds to 5 minutes) This was causing a large overhead that I couldn’t see as far as network traffic on my local network or internet connection or server resources so thank you both Hercules and Lightbringer for your suggestions

Mob count is now around 35k and respawn times are between 30 secs and 50 minutes for less frequently used areas

This has made a huge difference

Massive props!

Cheers

Spud

Upvote 0