Server Owners [READ HERE]

Celsius

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
I just don't see why people even want to sell items at all for donations, it just ruins the concept of actually playing the game completely. In my opinion a donation list should really only contain perks, not massive ones at that.

People only run servers to make money. No one does it because they enjoy the game anymore, go ask Blizzard why they charge a subscription, they don't do it out the love of their hearts for gamers.

If you feel differently, go run a server without donations and see how long you/it lasts.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded imo.

Tyraes

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2007
People only run servers to make money. No one does it because they enjoy the game anymore, go ask Blizzard why they charge a subscription, they don't do it out the love of their hearts for gamers.

If you feel differently, go run a server without donations and see how long you/it lasts.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded imo.

And I will do exactly that my friend.

All I wanted to express was my opinion on what I think a good donation list should consist of, I wasn't at any time trying to say what is in the majority of the donation lists.

Just from selling buff items you could make profit and have enough to maintain your server, especially if you sell them cheap.

And your comment "People only run servers to make money." Thats very generalised. Maybe you see alot of it happen just for money but they usually fail and are then forgotten about. Every server needs to have donations and every player should be willing to pay a few quid a month to play because a few quid is nothing if you think about what you'd spend on a friday night, 20, 30, 40 quid?.

My point and my opinion is your statement is wrong. I didn't say donations shouldn't be included in servers, I get this from "go run a server without donations". All I said was donating for items such as rings, weapons and armours is stupid and ruins the concept of playing mir (which is my opinion). Donations are very necessary if a server is to succeed long term as no-one wants to pay for the Mir community too play for free as the majority crying and moan at the GM's anyway.

Celsius

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
And I will do exactly that my friend.

All I wanted to express was my opinion on what I think a good donation list should consist of, I wasn't at any time trying to say what is in the majority of the donation lists.

Just from selling buff items you could make profit and have enough to maintain your server, especially if you sell them cheap.

And your comment "People only run servers to make money." Thats very generalised. Maybe you see alot of it happen just for money but they usually fail and are then forgotten about. Every server needs to have donations and every player should be willing to pay a few quid a month to play because a few quid is nothing if you think about what you'd spend on a friday night, 20, 30, 40 quid?.

My point and my opinion is your statement is wrong. I didn't say donations shouldn't be included in servers, I get this from "go run a server without donations". All I said was donating for items such as rings, weapons and armours is stupid and ruins the concept of playing mir (which is my opinion). Donations are very necessary if a server is to succeed long term as no-one wants to pay for the Mir community too play for free as the majority crying and moan at the GM's anyway.

Maybe make your opinion clearer then.

Instead of saying 'I just don't see why people even want to sell items at all for donations'

You should have said that you think they should only sell consumable items.

Tyraes

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2007
Maybe make your opinion clearer then.

Instead of saying 'I just don't see why people even want to sell items at all for donations'

You should have said that you think they should only sell consumable items.

Maybe I should of. I did say perks thinking people would know they are things such as buffs, equiptable buffs (wings), drugs for stat increases etc.

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
It's really none of LOMCNs business . Bad Idea. I would never do this on RZ.

The bold would be my opinion too but at the same time it's only an extension to the Server Ad rules and no controlling of the contents of the gameshop is being done.

Servers can continue to sell items for whatever price they want. It only takes a minute or two to print screen your gameshop and post in the ad.

Deathbringer

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 19, 2005
Devon, UK
I run my server because I genuinely like the game not for donations. I'm happy to pay £60 a month out of my own pocket to run a server that other players are going to get enjoyment out of. If players decide they want to donate something towards the running cost then thats their choice but its not forced. I don't have a donation list as such but for future reference your saying that I need to add one (of which ill have to lie about) on my advertisment?

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I run my server because I genuinely like the game not for donations. I'm happy to pay £60 a month out of my own pocket to run a server that other players are going to get enjoyment out of. If players decide they want to donate something towards the running cost then thats their choice but its not forced. I don't have a donation list as such but for future reference your saying that I need to add one (of which ill have to lie about) on my advertisment?

If you don't have a gameshop just mention that in the Ad. You don't need to make up something.

Deathbringer

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 19, 2005
Devon, UK
What I was trying to say was that players are free to donate if they wish and can be rewarded for it but there isn't a set list. How would I proceed with this in an advertisment?

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Err what? People can make whatever type of server they want. As it happens, common para/pro servers have been tried and they suck badly. Regardless of that, I'm sure people would rather know if para/pros are rare or not lol, so this just helps on that front too...

Next? No seriously..think you're taking this a little far now.

P69 didnt suck badly...

What im trying to put across is by providing a donation list doesn't show if a server's money grabbing, or give a true representation of the items use or value ingame is. To fully understand the worth of an item in a gameshop users have to play a server. By forcing users to place a gameshop list on their advert your stabbing a stake through thier hearts before they even start. Therefore forcing users to place their gameshop lists on their adverts is a bad idea.

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
Smavid your making zero sense.

I personally have always said you shouldn't judge a server by the advert. This is just an extra requirement we see fit to implement.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
P69 is in a different leage and my comment was in no way related to it.

You're making no sense by the way. If you're now talking about items other than special rings etc, well it's meaningless because each server has their own items...so saying "omg u can buy a TurdKit for £15?!?! thats ridic!!!! im not playing this server now" is redundant because they don't even know what a TurdKit is.

strapon

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 10, 2011
ITV 9.25am
Maybe I should of. I did say perks thinking people would know they are things such as buffs, equiptable buffs (wings), drugs for stat increases etc.

What you said was clear tbh. It was pretty obvious thats what you were saying.

I don't think its asking alot to add this to a server advert. I imagine most server owners won't see it is a big deal really.

Last edited: