Server Owners [READ HERE]

Celsius

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
That's where we come in Celsius, I'll quite happily write up a rule set myself for this if need be where it's updated every month seems fair. Yes I am aware "under the table" deals happen but THIS is a start. Why people think this idea will not have flaws every rule does.

Talk about throwing in the towel before it's even begun. I will however remain adamant on making this a rule. There will be mixed views and I accept that. And to be fair if it's the complete opposite Celsius where they're charging £40-£50 for certain things then in my opinion and probably many others that's too much cash for a 10 year old game.

/Czeldabolg

So now Lomcn is going to start dictating how much server owners can charge for their items?

Personally, things like this will start killing lomcn off.

But you have to try, good luck.

czeldabolg

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Sep 12, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
So now Lomcn is going to start dictating how much server owners can charge for their items?

Personally, things like this will start killing lomcn off.

But you have to try, good luck.

If you believe people charging £40 for an in-game item on a 10year old game is fine then we're going to disagree hugely, you could buy a completely new game for that or even 4month subscriptions to the MMO's out there. You can see it as dictating we see it as protecting.

Some members aren't brilliant with judgement and to be fair new forum goers won't be, I don't see how it's a huge deal wanting to see the gameshop or have knowledge about what type of server it is before hand. I understand 4H has it's donations / shop but I also know the extent of when people are just leeching because they can. And when ridiculous prices like the above come into play for e.g. ONE item, then yes. You're taking the ****.

I will keep an eye on this thread as honestly i'm really enjoying the mixed reviews.

/Czeldabolg

Celsius

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
If you believe people charging £40 for an in-game item on a 10year old game is fine then we're going to disagree hugely, you could buy a completely new game for that or even 4month subscriptions to the MMO's out there. You can see it as dictating we see it as protecting.

Some members aren't brilliant with judgement and to be fair new forum goers won't be, I don't see how it's a huge deal wanting to see the gameshop or have knowledge about what type of server it is before hand. I understand 4H has it's donations / shop but I also know the extent of when people are just leeching because they can. And when ridiculous prices like the above come into play for e.g. ONE item, then yes. You're taking the ****.

I will keep an eye on this thread as honestly i'm really enjoying the mixed reviews.

/Czeldabolg

So what you're really saying is, you're going to tell people how much of their own money they should spend on servers?

Absolutely ridiculous imo.

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
No it wasn't.

Selling small items and low costs is less of an issue, surely?

This way if people don't want to play a server where para rings cost £40, they don't even have to download the client and waste their time.

We are not trying to get rid of gameshops. If that's what you think you have misunderstood.

No i clearly understood. It was implemented i clearly remember prai trying to enforce it but nobody did, so it didn't even get fully implemented. Icemans server was one of the servers being pressured into displaying a list.

So what you're really saying is, you're going to tell people how much of their own money they should spend on servers?

Absolutely ridiculous imo.

Exactly...

forspinki

Legend
Legendary
Oct 23, 2006
Handan, China
good idea in a way as some servers charge over £100 for a mir item and then close down a few month later, personally i dont think any item should exceed £10 maybe £20 for para / pro if there super rare

Last edited:

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
I dont think we should implement any guidelines on HOW MUCH certain things are.

Just aslong as their GameShop Menu is displayed then its fine. If they charge £40 for a MirRing then thats what they charge.. Atleast the players know so before logging in.

Lilcooldoode

LOMCN Developer
Developer
May 10, 2003
Yes
I agree with Celsius. This is a stupid idea. End of the day these people are DONATING to the server. Getting anything back other than server uptime is an added bonus.

Sanity

Legend
Legendary
Nov 7, 2007
I dont think we should implement any guidelines on HOW MUCH certain things are.

Just aslong as their GameShop Menu is displayed then its fine. If they charge £40 for a MirRing then thats what they charge.. Atleast the players know so before logging in.

I agree with Prai, just tell them to show the list item list in the advert then let people decide to play it or not, At the end of the day it's their money and if they spend so much and then the server owner jumps ship then it's their own fault.

If someone closes the server after a week who made $$$$ then let it be known the next time he creates a server.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
My opinions on all this.

We cannot stop donations, and we are not trying to stop them either.
We cannot tell server what they can and cannot sell.
We cannot tell servers what a maximum price certain items can be.
We cannot tell users what they can or cannot spend.
We cannot tell users what servers to spend their money on.

What we are trying to do is give our users an idea of what certain servers are like before they do join. They can look at the advertisement, see a price list and decide from there in their own minds if the server is worth joining and donating to.

This is not a way of LOMCN stopping donating, this is just a way we see of protecting our community.

mapadale

WoW, it's taken two years for this to be implemented and yet still flaws in it. It's good to see something I put forward on its original context, being moved forward; however it doesn't appear to have been thought out very well in relation to having it as a rule.

Also it was never implemented with regards to servers having to post donation list as a lomcn rule, it was however a guideline for section mods in their rules. The only implementation originally by lomcn, was servers had to be open at least 3 month before accepting donations, or they would not be allowed to advertise on lomcn.

I think a clear definition of what the rule actually is, needs to be applied and what happens if that rules is broken or not adhered too.

oO~Unknown~Oo

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Dec 4, 2007
UK
My opinions on all this.

We cannot stop donations, and we are not trying to stop them either.
We cannot tell server what they can and cannot sell.
We cannot tell servers what a maximum price certain items can be.
We cannot tell users what they can or cannot spend.
We cannot tell users what servers to spend their money on.

What we are trying to do is give our users an idea of what certain servers are like before they do join. They can look at the advertisement, see a price list and decide from there in their own minds if the server is worth joining and donating to.

This is not a way of LOMCN stopping donating, this is just a way we see of protecting our community.

This 'new rule' i can agree with, its not really a problem but i think what people are trying to say there will be flaws.. who is to say the screenshot is legit or whether its a month old and prices have changed... yes you can put in a rule to update every 1 month but i dont think anyone would stick to that, the majority of server owners lose interest after the first month. i dont think there should be any rules on donations, its the donators risk whether he or she donates. simple as. they are spending there cash, their problem. its the same story really.

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
We aren't making rules for Donations, but were looking after the community by making sure all GameShop menus are displayed.

If its not updated atleast once a month, the thread gets deleted until they do so. Its not a BIG ask from the server owners but it could be a big help to the players.

Obviously, under the table deals will happen, But we have no power there. This is the only fair thing we can implement that can help to resolve this problem.

mapadale

We aren't making rules for Donations, but were looking after the community by making sure all GameShop menus are displayed.

If its not updated atleast once a month, the thread gets deleted until they do so. Its not a BIG ask from the server owners but it could be a big help to the players.

Obviously, under the table deals will happen, But we have no power there. This is the only fair thing we can implement that can help to resolve this problem.
For once I actually agree with you, lomcn as a central gateway to LOM and its private servers and so it does need to protect its community on a whole.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
This 'new rule' i can agree with, its not really a problem but i think what people are trying to say there will be flaws.. who is to say the screenshot is legit or whether its a month old and prices have changed... yes you can put in a rule to update every 1 month but i dont think anyone would stick to that, the majority of server owners lose interest after the first month. i dont think there should be any rules on donations, its the donators risk whether he or she donates. simple as. they are spending there cash, their problem. its the same story really.
We are not putting any rules on donations.

We are putting a new rule in towards advertisements here on LOMCN. If you have a gameshop, or a list of items you sell, then we just want a list within your Ad, nothing else

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
Lol this thread is kinda funny,

Personally i think your going about it all wrong, your trying to be some sort of hero to all these anti-donators out there by applying such a silly rule.

Telling people they cannot play a server that sells x item for x amount because its "too much for a 10year old game" is so funny. Its their own money for christ sakes, they can do wotever they want with it. you have NO RIGHT to tell people what to do.

also as celsius says, just because they have a list of donations, doesnt mean if some1 offers the host x amount for x item, doesnt mean hes not gonna sell, as 99% of them do it, then just blag it off and say it droped off a boss. You're saying ull enforce a rule in which ull remove that advert, but how the hell you gonna prove it?

If u really wanted to try "protect" the LOMCN community, you should have a rule that no server is allowed to take any form of donation until after 1 month. I know 1 month isnt a long time, but it proves that there is some kind of stability there. most the money grabbing servers dont last a month, so they'd be out straight away.

ne way just another reason 4heros isnt advertised here i guess - im sure ud find some kinda rule to remove it

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
Bon if you honestly read through the thread, youd see that were not saying people cant play servers with donations, Or even saying someone cant donate £1000 for a MirSword.

All we are asking is for the GameShop menu to be posted on their original Server Advertisement.

So next time, please read before getting all high and mighty Typlz.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Lol this thread is kinda funny,

Personally i think your going about it all wrong, your trying to be some sort of hero to all these anti-donators out there by applying such a silly rule.

Telling people they cannot play a server that sells x item for x amount because its "too much for a 10year old game" is so funny. Its their own money for christ sakes, they can do wotever they want with it. you have NO RIGHT to tell people what to do.

also as celsius says, just because they have a list of donations, doesnt mean if some1 offers the host x amount for x item, doesnt mean hes not gonna sell, as 99% of them do it, then just blag it off and say it droped off a boss. You're saying ull enforce a rule in which ull remove that advert, but how the hell you gonna prove it?

If u really wanted to try "protect" the LOMCN community, you should have a rule that no server is allowed to take any form of donation until after 1 month. I know 1 month isnt a long time, but it proves that there is some kind of stability there. most the money grabbing servers dont last a month, so they'd be out straight away.

ne way just another reason 4heros isnt advertised here i guess - im sure ud find some kinda rule to remove it
Care to point out to me, where we have said this is our plan?

Paddy

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 30, 2007
just wanting to know how much time ull be giving servers to add this before closing there post?

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
Them details will follow shortly. An announcement will be made and Pm's to all server owners will be sent out.