Should Spells "Miss"?

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
So I have always been torn, should Spells be able to "Miss"?

You can block them if your defence is better than their MC/SC, however most things don't seem to take Agility into account.

So this would mean that range PvP would mean you could dodge range spells.
Obviously accuracy will be more available in kits if this was the case, else everyone would stack agility.

Just wanted to know peoples opinions.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Agility should be on target spells like Fireball. But not on set spells like FireWall or ThunderBolt.

Reactions: Morganja

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Yes, I think so.

I think Sanj changed his server to show "Miss" and "Blocked" - So you could easily see if your agility was working or your defence.

On most servers accuracy and agility are a redundant stat but if done right, both can be very useful.

Lilcooldoode

LOMCN Developer
Developer
May 10, 2003
Yes
If the range spell code was done on crystal how it should be (check delphi sources) ranged spells would be able to miss.
This is the problem people are refering to when complaining about melee vs range PvP on crystal servers

WhyJewBanMe

Toxic
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2018
Pi pot shop
As a player for a long time of all classes, i dont think skills should ever miss.

I dont even think MR should effect PvP

Wizards have always gemmed just MC, i can see why youre looking for an alternative gem stat.

@Lilcooldoode prim has the miss block set up

But when mr is blocked it also pops up missed?

So 1 skill says

'Blocked, miss'
Instead of just 'block'

Last edited:

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
If the range spell code was done on crystal how it should be (check delphi sources) ranged spells would be able to miss.
This is the problem people are refering to when complaining about melee vs range PvP on crystal servers

I cheated a bit in regards to this, as the skills were delayed already (the damage) for most skills, it just required a check if the target was still in the original location of where the skill was targeted.

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
I’d also say yes but would like to see accuracy and agility to come into play on spells.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Yes, as previously mentioned on redundant stats, servers have become so lazy and are expected across the board now.

I was looking into add negative stats just like speed and luck

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
More defensive options for sure, the bigger issue for me though has always been the Sun pot spam, what is the best way to deal with this or some newer system.

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
Delay when a player can use them, very easy to add.

Most recently on Valkyrie server there was the problem of Sun pot spam being needed to survive challenging bosses (even with the boss surrounded by players), this was a problem for Sin's especially, as their HP was low.

Early game not being able to use Sun pots effectively is kind of anti fun and definetly stops solo'ing sub boss/boss attempts and sub bosses will be a horrible Tao/Wiz kite only affair.

The Sun Potion sitation is kind of complicated, it's great in PvE but sucks in most cases for PvP.

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
Most recently on Valkyrie server there was the problem of Sun pot spam being needed to survive challenging bosses (even with the boss surrounded by players), this was a problem for Sin's especially, as their HP was low.

Early game not being able to use Sun pots effectively is kind of anti fun and definetly stops solo'ing sub boss/boss attempts and sub bosses will be a horrible Tao/Wiz kite only affair.

The Sun Potion sitation is kind of complicated, it's great in PvE but sucks in most cases for PvP.

Ideally you wouldn’t make such a drastic change mid way through a server so having it from the get go, nobody should really complain but then again, some players are very special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StormHero

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 19, 2015
Ideally you wouldn’t make such a drastic change mid way through a server so having it from the get go, nobody should really complain but then again, some players are very special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could always have sun pots going off a % of your hp/mp instead of a solid number, making it more fairer

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Would require some decent thought to achieve a good balance and not cause all players to go down 1 path.

Usually this isn't possible because as soon as it's been identified which is overall "better" (Such as the already perfect example of everyone know Agility sucks lol) everyone just goes that route. You could off-set it with mobs or certain skills etc having some sort of "True Sight" or something.