Should you be able to hold down keys to level magic?

Join Discord

Should you be able to hold down the cast key to auto train magic?

• Yes

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Currently in crystal there are a few magics which once cast won't let you recast or train until it runs out.

These are Hiding, MassHiding, Rage, ProtectionField, MoonLight, DarkBody. (Basically any skill that uses a buff, excluding Shields which work slightly differently)

Currently once you've cast them no matter how much you spam the keys the buffs won't reset and you need to wait for them to finish before you can recast them and train the magic again. This also lets you keep your finger down to recast/train each time the buff runs out.

I've changed this mechanic slightly, so if you cast these skills whilst already active - the buff timers will reset and keep the magic going. They won't train up however unless you cast when its not already active - so spamming the cast will keep it active, but never train it up.

Which method do people prefer? With the new buff features its very easy to change this to make buffs not reset their timer until they run out - but personally i think the resetting buff on each cast is a better option.

Reactions: IHaveALongName

Bountyhunter

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 20, 2003
Definitely prefer resetting the timer if you cast it again rather than having to wait until it is finished. Therefor I think you would also have to make it level up by holding down the cast key, be a bit weird otherwise? WOuld just have to increase the amount I guess

Bugbat

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 14, 2013
It's been a long time since I used many of these spells. Is there not a cooldown on some of these spells so that you can't always have them active? or at least for levels 0, 1 and 2

I may be wrong but as far as I remember some skills are not meant to have 100% up time, such as Rage or Magic booster. Where these type of skills add a little bit more luck and timing to the opportunity of attack?

Such is similar for hiding/mass hiding. A tao or their target needs to move and have hiding/masshiding recast to make the aggro switch away from them. Timing things just right can make a great difference to keeping the fragile friends alive.

I believe its similar for moonlight? a small gap between being hid, maybe to give others a chance to catch a glimps of them or to stop them afk button down in the corner of a kr.

I'm sure some skills may benefit from your changes but others might change the play dynamics. Good or bad.

Playing a tao and leveling skills was all a challenge on its own, from spawning pets besides guards to having to move and hide for leveling the hide spells. But as for tao buff spells, its always been nice to not have to wait for them to wear off before you can recast and have a new buff applied.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Yeah I'm not changing cooldowns. So if Rage for example has a 20 minute cooldown, but only lasts 2 minutes. Then this argument is void as you can't recast in time.

Last edited:

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I like being able to 'refresh' the buff with a new time period before it expires. (y)

Without that, you end up not using your buffs half of the time since it gets to be too much of a bother to watch all those buff icons for when they expire, never mind remembering what each of them means (that is another problem but kind of related to this one).

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
I remember sticking a 2p coin in the keyboard to level skills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seanofsmeg

Staff member
Apr 6, 2015
I think you should be able to recast the skill getting both perks of a renewed buff and skill level up.

Always feels a bit strange to cast the skill and it take resources to show it's used but not gain the benefit.

Poison for example used to be able to repsn before it ran out to keep it on a boss but now I find have to wait for it to run out to reapply.

Can't really see a downside as it's only a few select skills that would be affected. Think the only skill worth chatting / worrying about with the above mechanic might be wizzy shield

Reactions: Far

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I think you should be able to recast the skill getting both perks of a renewed buff and skill level up.

Always feels a bit strange to cast the skill and it take resources to show it's used but not gain the benefit.

Poison for example used to be able to repsn before it ran out to keep it on a boss but now I find have to wait for it to run out to reapply.

Can't really see a downside as it's only a few select skills that would be affected. Think the only skill worth chatting / worrying about with the above mechanic might be wizzy shield

Yeah was the only point I would raise is MagicShield, but could always put an exception for that opposed to not adding the new system just because of 1 spell

IMO MS needs to not refresh else they can maintain it with ease, always the key to dropping a wizzie is when their shield drops.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Cheers for the feedback. Will be making these skills reset duration on each cast now and keep skill training to be increased. - this obviously still won't affect cooldown duration if its longer than the buff length.

Shield skills are exempt from this due to how they work.

Reactions: Seanofsmeg

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
... this obviously still won't affect cooldown duration if its longer than the buff length.
I take it then, server owners can set CD time to be the same as the buff duration and get the 'cannot re-cast' while the buff is active as before this proposed change. So you get the best of both worlds.

Reactions: Far

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Would depend on the spell as some durations are random and based on stats, but fixed ones or those which change per level yeah you could do that

Reactions: mir2pion