Skill Books / Auto Learning

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
So I just wanted some feedback on a featurette within spells.

Similar to TPR I currently have it set so classes learn their skills up to level 30 automatically (the standard spells, anyway).
Spell books still have a purpose of having a chance to auto level up your spell to the next level (as long as its able too).

Do people prefer finding all the low level spells still or would people prefer to auto learn all the common ones (currently capped at level 30)

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
I’ve had a few “where’s this book drop etc” and especially for new players trying to catch up. I’d say auto skill upto lvl 30 is a great idea

holo

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2014
WoW got rid of the whole spells being a pain to manage and learn for good reason.

No one likes feeling gimped because they can't afford a book. Though that was a good money sink, and probably one reason WoW had such huge inflation? Maybe borrow bits of a few different servers, auto learn lvl 0 and freeze xp at 0. To increase it you need books, or pages? Maybe pages + money = books, as a gold sink. Books would give a full lvl, while pages could add a random amount. So say 5 pages + x (depends on difficult to gain gold on your server) * spell level = 1 book, or you could just spam pages to level it instead cheaper.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I quite like the idea of making it so you NEED books to level your abilities up rather than AFK level them
* it stops people having that boring part of "urgh gotta level this spell for ages". - you farm the books
* it gives a longevity of books and their value

I may make it so books only have a chance, but you can craft a guaranteed version (so if you get a 'rarer' book like flamefield, you can take the chance (say 25% chance to get from 1-2) or you can craft 2 of the same book + gold + whatever to make a book that guarantees it to be learned.

Something to really think about, still sorting all the darn db stuff out (nearly there) then I can modify allllll this stuff !

Reactions: Kyro and Tai

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
it all sound like jamies page system from zircon.
maybe something new like gaining skill points for monster like exp?

jxsr088

Banned
Banned
Mar 10, 2019
;=============================================================================================

; 自动学习技能代码1.0
;=============================================================================================
[@_LevelUp]
#IF
CHECKCLASS Warrior
LEVEL == 7
#ACT
GIVESKILL Fencing 2
LOCALMESSAGE "你学会了新技能: 基本剑术" Hint

; 法师技能
#IF
CHECKCLASS Wizard
LEVEL == 7
#ACT
GIVESKILL FireBall 2
LOCALMESSAGE "你学会了新技能: 火球术" Hint

; 道士技能
#IF
CHECKCLASS Taoist
LEVEL == 7
#ACT
GIVESKILL Healing 2
LOCALMESSAGE "你学会了新技能: 治愈术" Hint

#IF
CHECKCLASS Taoist
LEVEL == 9
#ACT
GIVESKILL SpiritSword 2
LOCALMESSAGE "你学会了新技能: 精神力战法" Hint

; 刺客技能
#IF
CHECKCLASS Assassin
LEVEL == 7
#ACT
GIVESKILL FatalSword 2
LOCALMESSAGE "你学会了新技能: 绝命剑法" Hint

; 弓手技能
#IF
CHECKCLASS Archer
LEVEL == 7
#ACT
GIVESKILL Focus 2
LOCALMESSAGE "你学会了新技能: 必中闪" Hint

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Got it built into the source.

Gets messy making txtscripts that big

Taurus

LOMCN Member
Jun 25, 2020
So I just wanted some feedback on a featurette within spells.

Similar to TPR I currently have it set so classes learn their skills up to level 30 automatically (the standard spells, anyway).
Spell books still have a purpose of having a chance to auto level up your spell to the next level (as long as its able too).

Do people prefer finding all the low level spells still or would people prefer to auto learn all the common ones (currently capped at level 30)
auto learn till lv 30 and make books lvl x3 when used like Marble was great.

holo

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2014
auto learn till lv 30 and make books lvl x3 when used like Marble was great.

I don't get the whole stopping at lvl30. Seems so arbitrary, if you're going to have a system it shouldn't just randomly end. lvl0 spells are frankly naff anyway, just give them as baseline when you hit the lvl, you've earnt it for doing the lvling. Having the spell is a taster, and will push people to farming/buying the books to level the spell up.

I think getting rid of the afk grinding to lvl them entirely is the best call, it's just a boring system that shouldn't be in any game.

Skill points from books makes sense. Maybe also from grinding mobs or killing bosses? Small amount of SP rewarded on kill to a random skill. So you can focus lvl a skill with books, or RNG it by grinding and lvling them all slowly.

Reactions: Belle

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I don't get the whole stopping at lvl30. Seems so arbitrary, if you're going to have a system it shouldn't just randomly end. lvl0 spells are frankly naff anyway, just give them as baseline when you hit the lvl, you've earnt it for doing the lvling. Having the spell is a taster, and will push people to farming/buying the books to level the spell up.

I think getting rid of the afk grinding to lvl them entirely is the best call, it's just a boring system that shouldn't be in any game.

Skill points from books makes sense. Maybe also from grinding mobs or killing bosses? Small amount of SP rewarded on kill to a random skill. So you can focus lvl a skill with books, or RNG it by grinding and lvling them all slowly.

I have always liked the fact when you hit levels you get that skill, we curbed it off at 30 on our old server and I dont really know why.

I guess its part of the hype that you get your spell you've been after for awhile and you get that **** yeah! rather than "oh everyone has it" kind of feeling.

I mean you could work a system where
You auto learn all 'basic' skills with no level cap.
You can only level skills with skill books (they have an RNG chance of working) but all books are more common to obtain (as obviously you dont want a FlameField book to be 1/50000 of dropping for it to only level your skill 1/10 chance).

You can't make the level 0 skill trash, or low ball the numbers, as it would just really hammer the server in a negative way, as everyone would moan the skills are crap / low damage / not balanced etc. - but I dont think it'd be necessary, anyway.

I mean, there are tons of ideas been thrown my way and its making sure all the systems we add come together, rather than being disjointed and making it feel like its just been thrown in there because we can, not because we should.

holo

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2014
You can't make the level 0 skill trash, or low ball the numbers, as it would just really hammer the server in a negative way, as everyone would moan the skills are crap / low damage / not balanced etc. - but I dont think it'd be necessary, anyway.

Most servers, lvl0 skills are trash. I've played ones where Fwall lasts literally 0 seconds at lvl0. lvl0 Tbolt does less than lvl3 Fball by a large margin. Skele being very weak etc.

But it does give the player a taster of things to come, to start hyping it up.

Belle

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
May 25, 2019

I said this not long ago in our discord, like wtf is the point in afk lvling spells/skills it makes no sense.
I don’t like the auto Learning the book but when you reach the lvl for the next spell lvl it should be auto as you have grinded lvling anyway to reach it.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I said this not long ago in our discord, like wtf is the point in afk lvling spells/skills it makes no sense.
I don’t like the auto Learning the book but when you reach the lvl for the next spell lvl it should be auto as you have grinded lvling anyway to reach it.

I don't agree with not having spell levels, I feel its quite a niche thing Mir had; I just feel the system could be better worked on then most servers "afk xhours to level it"
I suppose it also bolsters your UC over the quiet periods as people are online afk (seems to be what a lot of servers are striving to achieve)

Belle

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
May 25, 2019
I don't agree with not having spell levels, I feel its quite a niche thing Mir had; I just feel the system could be better worked on then most servers "afk xhours to level it"
I suppose it also bolsters your UC over the quiet periods as people are online afk (seems to be what a lot of servers are striving to achieve)
Afk lvling spells needs to go honestly we all hate it.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Afk lvling spells needs to go honestly we all hate it.
Ill get rid of it for everyone, except you.

But in all seriousness, I dont see the point in it either, Ideally I will be moving it primarily over to Books with RNG chance to increase.
You can do the slog of still afk lvling it (but it will be quite an EXP gap per skilllevel), but its a lot quicker to farm the books to get the instant level up from it imo.

Again it sounds daft but (as a casual) if I only relied on books to get my skills lvled it'd take me longer than afk lvling them, I dont see a reason to remove the option, but it will be the least optimal way to level your skills.

Reactions: Belle

Belle

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
May 25, 2019
we may all hate it but we all still do it XD
Because we have no bloody choice!! 😂
Post automatically merged:

Ill get rid of it for everyone, except you.

But in all seriousness, I dont see the point in it either, Ideally I will be moving it primarily over to Books with RNG chance to increase.
You can do the slog of still afk lvling it (but it will be quite an EXP gap per skilllevel), but its a lot quicker to farm the books to get the instant level up from it imo.

Again it sounds daft but (as a casual) if I only relied on books to get my skills lvled it'd take me longer than afk lvling them, I dont see a reason to remove the option, but it will be the least optimal way to level your skills.
Yeah still keep so you can afk it but needs to be better ways to lvl it when playing, like on prim you had it so the Same book lvled the spell up if it worked

• Haha
Reactions: LuckyDip