Steam Deck

Join Discord

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Just like the Spanish Inquisition, nobody expected it.

The base model should've get 128 GB instead of 64 GB but it's still cool. Apparently can run AAA games on high quality without problems. And it's not a "closed" console as the Switch, it's a full computer which you can connect to a monitor, and play with a mouse and keyboard. It runs SteamOS based on Arch Linux + KDE Plasma as desktop environment, but you can install whatever you want, including Windows.

Specs below
Processor: AMD APU
CPU: Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
APU power: 4-15W
RAM 16 GB LPDDR5 RAM (5500 MT/s)

Storage options:

64 GB eMMC (PCIe Gen 2 x1)
256 GB NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)
512 GB high-speed NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)

All models include high-speed microSD card slot

Display

Resolution: 1280 x 800px (16:10 aspect ratio)
Optically bonded LCD for enhanced readability
Display size: 7" diagonal
Brightness: 400 nits typical
Refresh rate: 60Hz
Touch enabled: Yes
Sensors: Ambient light sensor

Reactions: Tai and Chriz

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
Just seen this on Steam, I have to say I love the idea and I do think its the right time for Steam to enter the handheld market. I am however a little sceptic of the button positioning and whether or not this is going to be comfortable to hold, especially for competitive gaming.

The hardware specs are second to none and should comfortably hold out for a while.

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Just seen this on Steam, I have to say I love the idea and I do think its the right time for Steam to enter the handheld market. I am however a little sceptic of the button positioning and whether or not this is going to be comfortable to hold, especially for competitive gaming.

The hardware specs are second to none and should comfortably hold out for a while.

Why would you use something like this for competitive gaming? If you compete, you probably want to win...there would be no reason not to plug it in to a monitor, mouse and keyboard.

Anyway, they say it's pretty comfy to use. But I guess it'll be like the steam controller. Some love it, some hate it.

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
Why would you use something like this for competitive gaming? If you compete, you probably want to win...there would be no reason not to plug it in to a monitor, mouse and keyboard.

Anyway, they say it's pretty comfy to use. But I guess it'll be like the steam controller. Some love it, some hate it.
Perhaps I should of been more specific. I was referring specifically to Rocket League which this sort of device would generally be perfectly acceptable for, especially if its running 60fps which for an older game is absolutely fine. These things are aimed at portability so with all due respect, if I was for example travelling, I wouldn't want to be carrying a KB+M with me. I'm assuming it has Bluetooth functionality for external controllers which would be absolutely fine for some games anyhow.