The best books you've read

lemonfish

When life gives you Lemons ?
Dedicated Member
Oct 11, 2009
Ocean
Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill

The Richest Man in Babylon

Is a must read if you're looking for financial freedom and living a successful life

Honorable mention

Welding Principles and Applications

Not for everyone but, if Welding is your thing, this is the best expository book about welding out there.

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Only ever read 2 books in my life and that was ...

GooseBumps - say cheese and die

HarryPotter - philosophers stone

They literally make me fall asleep within a page I swear the sound of the page turning paras me.

• Haha
Reactions: Swoosh and Tai

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. A classic tale of hardship in Edwardian England. Don't watch the film versions, read the book.

Candide by Voltaire. If any of you read it, I'd be very impressed ! Voltaire is French and wrote the book in 1759 !

Nam by Mark Baker. True stories of encounters in the Vietnam War.

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason. Real life experiences of a Huey pilot in the Vietnam War.

Gunship, Spectre of Death by Henry Zeybel. Another Vietnam book. This is about a C130 Hercules kitted out with loads of canon, guns etc.

Just some books that are worth reading and will change you when you do.
I couldn't put Chickenhawk down. Amazing what they went through over there.

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I prefer fantasy novels so here are a few books ive really enjoyed recently:

The Kingkiller Chronicle: by Patrick Rothfuss
The Name of the Wind (Book 1)
No Man's Fear (Book 2)
(Still waiting for the 3rd book to be released)

Mistborn (Original Trilogy): by Brandon Sanderson
The Final Empire (Book 1)
The Well of Ascension (Book 2)
The Hero of Ages (Book 3)

Mistborn (Wax and Wayne series - This series follows on from the original): by Brandon Sanderson
The Alloy of Law (Book 4)
Shadows of Self (Book 5)
The Bands of Mourning (Book 6)

The Dark Tower: by Steven King
The Gunslinger (Book 1)
The Drawing of the Three (Book 2)
The Waste Lands (Book 3)
Wizard and Glass (Book 4)
Wolves of the Calla (Book 5)
Song of Susannah (Book 6)
The Dark Tower (Book 7)

The Stormlight Archive: by Brandon Sanderson
The Way of Kings (Book 1)
Words of Radiance (Book 2)
Oathbringer (Book 3)
(Awaiting book 4)

I am currently in the middle of reading the Game of Thrones series and im on the last available book. But to be honest it doesn't quite grip me like the books mentioned above. Maybe thats because I watched the TV series before i read the books.

Also by read I mean listen as im such a slow reader and its just convinent for me to listen while i commute to work etc.

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
Bronson was a good book i enjoyed it more than the movie, not really a book reader besides the harry potters as a kid lol.

Swoosh

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jan 24, 2017
London
I can only really get in to a book when away on holiday and theres no games/tv or general life distractions. And I definitely favour a historical fiction or fantasy/adventure read. The below are pretty good if you enjoy that sort, of what I can recall i've read. (read more obvs like Hercucles' say cheese & die - classic!!)

Holy Warrior by Angus Donald - about a warrior/troubadour whose part of Robin Hoods outlaws who joins King Richard The Lionhearts 3rd crusade again Saladin.

The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings + Harry Potters

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman, small tales of Thor/Loki + the Aesir. (some stories are good and familiar, others are quite slow + dire tbh)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, read in school - actually enjoyed the book! About a black person in Alabama accused of rape and a white lawyer defending him.