Today's Downtime (24/09/2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celsius

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
You're all missing 1 key factor in all this, the community.

On FourHeroes people who don't donate, like the fact that donators can drop items they have just bought. If it was a buff, once its used it can't be undone or dropped, thus the donator gaining 100% advantage.

Whether you agree or not, it doesn't really matter, we have proved that donations for more than just consumables works with 3 of the most successful servers.

Mask

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Jun 20, 2003
United Kingdom
You're all missing 1 key factor in all this, the community.

On FourHeroes people who don't donate, like the fact that donators can drop items they have just bought. If it was a buff, once its used it can't be undone or dropped, thus the donator gaining 100% advantage.

Whether you agree or not, it doesn't really matter, we have proved that donations for more than just consumables works with 3 of the most successful servers.
lol they have no choice but to like the fact, im pretty sure the donater will keep the item longer than an hour or two before the unlikely event they drop it, thus this gives them 1000%+ advantage. your trying to make it sound like every donation item gets dropped within a few hours...yeah right..

works better for you or the community ? 3 weapon sales out of 100+ players and you've covered your dedi costs, then where does the rest of all that money go i wonder. this is why gameshops are out of hand and need to be controlled. just because you have the lomcn approved sticker it doesnt justify £20 item sales.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
someone else who had missed the point entirely, said buff will last a few hours at most, and gives you maybe a 1/1000 chance of getting said item(so you could need 1000 buff potions),when you could donate and get that item instantly..

Exactly that. Even with a buff, the chances of getting an item like the ones you can donate for by killing a boss, are minimal in comparison to...Buy & Collect...

lol they have no choice but to like the fact, im pretty sure the donater will keep the item longer than an hour or two before the unlikely event they drop it, thus this gives them 1000%+ advantage. your trying to make it sound like every donation item gets dropped within a few hours...yeah right..

works better for you or the community ? 3 weapon sales out of 100+ players and you've covered your dedi costs, then where does the rest of all that money go i wonder. this is why gameshops are out of hand and need to be controlled. just because you have the lomcn approved sticker it doesnt justify £20 item sales.

We all know Bon only runs servers for money...but to be fair, at least they last an acceptable period of time...and a lot of hard work has gone in to 4zeros I'm sure (I don't know cos I never have and never will play). That at least is a step up from people like hustler and the hundred other goons who have whacked servers up for a matter of weeks, raked in the cash and shut it down again. I think that's more importantly the kind of thing to steer away from.

Mir is Bon's life and if he wants to make his living out of it then we shouldn't stop him...as long as he does it in an ethical way. I use the term ethical loosely of course.

Celsius

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 31, 2008

They have no choice but to like it? What about all the other servers out there? If people didn't like it then they wouldn't play the server, simple.

We actually get a lot of people who say they are glad that people donate for items as they can be PK'd and drop their items. Also for the record, most of our donations go back into the server.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Also for the record, most of our donations go back into the server.

But this is where I get annoyed; the fact you've got the audacity to sit there and treat people like complete morons. You're not fooling anyone so do yourself a BIG favour and don't try.

mapadale

At the end of the day people are going to donate to servers and not matter who runs them and for what reason isn't going to change the fact.

What is wrong though and I do see it a lot from Mir 2 servers, hence I stay well away from them now, is donation for items. Donation for items makes a server unbalanced plain and simple, Bon and Celsius you can dress it up as much as you like, but ethically your just a bunch of thieves simple as.

A server should be allowed to have donation as part of there normal day to day running costs, as it's not cheap to run a server at all. But when it comes to servers that are out their and whether it has been around for 3 month or 6 years and they implement donation for items, then it becomes a cash cow for them and should under no circumstances be allowed to advertise here on lomcn. Donation for items is wrong plain and simple, but at the end of the day admins have made their point, it's not down to lomcn to police these servers and it is up to them what they do with it and also at the end of the day, there are a lot more places than just lomcn that you can advertise your server on.

@Mask

Your wasting your time with regards to this, you've made your point and I would just suggest that you shut it (In a nice way). I've fought this same battle both as a member and as a member of staff and unfortunately it does fall on death ears. After all if it wasn't for such servers, it wouldn't bring people to the site who want to open a server and do the exact same and make money the quick and easy way.

Also for the record, most of our donations go back into the server.
Thats just utter bull**** in my opinion, a dedi server shouldn't cost no more than around £150pcm. What other cost is there, NOTHING AT ALL on a dedi server.

Last edited:

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
But this is where I get annoyed; the fact you've got the audacity to sit there and treat people like complete morons. You're not fooling anyone so do yourself a BIG favour and don't try.

Dont get annoyed, calm down, its ok. Fact you dont even play our servers yet u have the audacity to sit there and critise us makes you a moron.

Mine and matts time is not free, we treat our server as if it were a job, like it should be. If we are going to spend 7hrs a day coding, scripting, answer support questions, etc etc, then we should be getting paid for it. This also allows us to run the server abit more professionaly, rather than saying "oh **** it u know wot i cba ne more ill just shut it down" like most ppl do. It gives us responsibilitys towards the server.

And tbh i dnt care if u like it or not... so do 1

Celsius

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 31, 2008

Forgot you had a copy of our expenditure, sorry.

What is wrong though and I do see it a lot from Mir 2 servers, hence I stay well away from them now, is donation for items. Donation for items makes a server unbalanced plain and simple, Bon and Celsius you can dress it up as much as you like, but ethically your just a bunch of thieves simple as.

We don't make people donate, it is entirely their CHOICE.

Half the people that moan about donations haven't, and will never run a server. Anon used to moan about FH all the time, yets since running a server hes doing exactly the same. Give it a try, and I guarantee you will chance your whole out look on donations.

mapadale

Dont get annoyed, calm down, its ok. Fact you dont even play our servers yet u have the audacity to sit there and critise us makes you a moron.

Mine and matts time is not free, we treat our server as if it were a job, like it should be. If we are going to spend 7hrs a day coding, scripting, answer support questions, etc etc, then we should be getting paid for it. This also allows us to run the server abit more professionaly, rather than saying "oh **** it u know wot i cba ne more ill just shut it down" like most ppl do. It gives us responsibilitys towards the server.

What an utter plank you are Bon, it's not a job at all it's a "Hobbie" You paying taxes on what you make, NO, do you pay NI on what you make NO. So no it's not a job at all, if you want to get paid for what you are doing. Then actually get a job in what you are doing, cause at the moment it's not a job and never will be.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

Clearly showing that you failed to read my prior post and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I think you'll find I was actually somewhat defending you, so bravo on proving (not that anyone didn't already know it) what an utter twat you are.

Is that clear enough or do you want it in crayon?

Celsius

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
What an utter plank you are Bon, it's not a job at all it's a "Hobbie" You paying taxes on what you make, NO, do you pay NI on what you make NO. So no it's not a job at all, if you want to get paid for what you are doing. Then actually get a job in what you are doing, cause at the moment it's not a job and never will be.

You are completely wrong there mapa, we pay taxes etc etc just like everyone else. Why do you think we don't care when people threaten us with silly **** like they will get onto HM revenue.

mapadale

FHalf the people that moan about donations haven't, and will never run a server. Anon used to moan about FH all the time, yets since running a server hes doing exactly the same. Give it a try, and I guarantee you will chance your whole out look on donations.
I'm not saying donation is wrong, I'm saying what you are saying is wrong and it's not a job to you at all.

And I only have an issue with donation servers, for the simplicity of waht they stand for at the moment and gives the rest of us a bad name.

Celsius

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
I'm not saying donation is wrong, I'm saying what you are saying is wrong and it's not a job to you at all.

And I only have an issue with donation servers, for the simplicity of waht they stand for at the moment and gives the rest of us a bad name.

What do they stand for? Long term, successful, reliable and far more professional than others.

Sorry we don't please you enough mapa, and if a server like that gives you a bad name.

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK

I was merely saying we are able to treat it more like a job, rather than a hobby wher you can just say, fk it i cant be bothered runnin the server anymore ill close it, like ppl used to do back in 1.4. Cause they were able to, they held no obligation to keep the game open.

ne way im not argueing any more cant rly be bothered and frankly dont care

@tai... well thats what happens when i dont really care wot you say, i tend to not bother reading it properly

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Good shout Haz, about to do it having a read through - sick of every thread on LOMCN turning into a donation debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.