Today's Downtime (24/09/2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
Isnt that what the Approved tag is now??

By adding a Donation tag to the server thread, People can decide weather or not to play before even finding out what the server offers.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I'm not 100% sure of all the servers out at the moment, but don't they all take money in some way?

As it's already been said, paying for a dedi is one thing, and IMO acceptable, so how do we know when owners are raking it in and deserve a prefix/tag on their thread? i.e. where's the threshold

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
Any server that takes in donations however way must have a Tag.. Obviously, most of us know that 100% of servers use donations, But it wouldn't harm warning anyone wanting to join a NON donation server.

Mask

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Jun 20, 2003
United Kingdom
make 2 tags, donation only for consumables (exp pots / torchs / stones / scrolls etc) then server who donate pretty much anything like best items / weapons / rings etc, then people will know which server is more suited to them and whether its fair game or not.

Viper

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 14, 2007
Newcastle
i think all this tagging idea and donation talk is getting out of hand tbh can an admin comment to put an end it to?

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
i think all this tagging idea and donation talk is getting out of hand tbh can an admin comment to put an end it to?

There is no harm in people discussing and throwing ideas out there. I'm curious though are there any servers currently up that don't accept donations in one form or another? Not much point adding a Tag that will either be on every thread or on none.

In regards to people putting up basic servers will the sole intention of making money my opinion is that if people are silly enough to give money to a week old server then they probably shouldn't have money to begin with. The LOMCN Staff can't be here 24/7 to hold peoples hands and control how they wish to spend their money. Or indeed control how someone wishes to run their server.

Maybe a revamp of the Approved Server idea along with an information post of what being Approved means might help.

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
I can't think of any Setvers that don't accept donations in Mir2, could be different in mir3.

Like the idea of posting the GameShop menu on the server add. Could have a big impact on peoples opinions wether to play or not.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
In all fairness, the "Approved" server tag was introduced to try and protect our players.

If you play a server which is not yet approved by the LOMCN staff, you donate at your own risk.

Donating to any server, you're donating at your own risk. We can't stop servers from taking donations, afterall most people are using their own cash to host the servers.

Impossible for us to stop donations, and unfair on us to not allow servers who take donations to advertise. We're fighting a losing battle.

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
make 2 tags, donation only for consumables (exp pots / torchs / stones / scrolls etc) then server who donate pretty much anything like best items / weapons / rings etc, then people will know which server is more suited to them and whether its fair game or not.
dude in al honesty thats stupid... a donation is a donation, regardless of what its for.

there is no difference in using a stat pot that gives u +30 dc, and buying an item that gives u +30 dc.

dunno why everythinks that consumables are moraly ok, but items etc are "wrong"

Exwizz

Legend
Legendary
Feb 1, 2010
Newcastle
dude in al honesty thats stupid... a donation is a donation, regardless of what its for.

there is no difference in using a stat pot that gives u +30 dc, and buying an item that gives u +30 dc.

there is a difference the stat pot last till you log or till it runs out the ring or any other items last untill u drop it or w.e?

-Luke-

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 9, 2010

You cant tell the differnce between a pot and a item ?
A pot will last for X amount of time as with the item would last for aslong as its kept..

So giving someone a pot that last how ever long giving 30 DC is alot differnt to having a item that has 30 DC that can be kept for ever.

kash12

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 22, 2004
You cant tell the differnce between a pot and a item ?
A pot will last for X amount of time as with the item would last for aslong as its kept..

So giving someone a pot that last how ever long giving 30 DC is alot differnt to having a item that has 30 DC that can be kept for ever.

Plenty of times someone has donated for an item, stepped out of sz, died and dropped the item within about 2 minutes of getting it.

Either way it's still gaining an advantage.

-Luke-

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 9, 2010
Yea but the item is still in circulation as with a pot it wont be.. Even if you did drop the item you could still get it back or buy another one. Theres a big differnce between a pot and a item cant belive im reading such mumble

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Plenty of times someone has donated for an item, stepped out of sz, died and dropped the item within about 2 minutes of getting it.

Either way it's still gaining an advantage.

Mmm yeh but that applies to consumables as well...so isn't really relevant?

kash12

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 22, 2004
It's still no more justifiable than donating for an item.

Exwizz

Legend
Legendary
Feb 1, 2010
Newcastle
there is because the stat pot doesnt last forever but the item basicly does? imo thats a huge difference

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I for one would rather donate for a stat boosting pot and gain my kit legitimately - isn't there a bit more fun in that?

kash12

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 22, 2004
there is because the stat pot doesnt last forever but the item basicly does? imo thats a huge difference
You could kill a boss using the stat pot that you couldn't of killed without it, you could get an item from that boss. Not a huge difference.
I for one would rather donate for a stat boosting pot and gain my kit legitimately - isn't there a bit more fun in that?

Yes I agree, but in terms of a server owner taking donations, taking it for exp/stat pots is no different than taking it for items.

/Nymph

Status
Not open for further replies.