TV Licence

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
I have a tv licence and have checked on the website and all my payments are up to date, but they keep sending me letters saying i don't have one and threatening to take me to court, i have now contacted them about the matter a few times and they said i have got a licence and they said they wouls stop sending me letters, but i keep getting them and i got one this morning saying this is my final warning before they procede with a court summons. Do i have a case for harrasment ? or do i just wait untill they take me to court, i myself aint worried about this but my partner is lol but i will look forward to a day in court if they were to procede.

Viper

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 14, 2007
Newcastle
sounds like it, ring em up n tell them 2 FO, serious note, save all the letters etc just incase something happens

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Counter-claim for harassment if they do take it to court? Long as you can prove you have a TV license and have done for a long time (not recently acquired) then it should be fine.

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
Kool, will wait and see if they actually do, i've had a licence since ive lived here over a year now and like i said i checked on there website and i'm well on top of my payments (which has all the proof of all my payments). They send me these letters a couple times a month and have given up telling them i have a licence, i shall wait and see.

linzi

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 10, 2004
rochdale
I wouldnt worry about it, they'll send you letters but wont actually do anything about it i had the same problem, i kept paying and they kept sending letters did this for about 2 years then stopped

Andreas

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 12, 2008
Timisoara
I have a tv licence and have checked on the website and all my payments are up to date, but they keep sending me letters saying i don't have one and threatening to take me to court, i have now contacted them about the matter a few times and they said i have got a licence and they said they wouls stop sending me letters, but i keep getting them and i got one this morning saying this is my final warning before they procede with a court summons. Do i have a case for harrasment ? or do i just wait untill they take me to court, i myself aint worried about this but my partner is lol but i will look forward to a day in court if they were to procede.

what a bunch of dickheads lol

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
are you sure they are the ones sending the mail? they might be trying get credit card information to scam you, becarful dude

@EDIT. Such an easy way to threaten people with court to get credit card details

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Yeah, as mentioned just sit on it for a while - do nothing until they take it to court (doubt they will, doubt it's even real).

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
whats a TV Licence for?

never heard of a such thing.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
If there was no such thing television wouldn't be what it is now. Pretty much all of TV Licenses goes to BBC, which is why they don't have advertisements.

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
Ad's are not that bad kinda like them to see the deals for shopping.
but when you got 5 tv's with HD it could cost alot rite?

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
Na you need 1 licence per household lol, the letters are real as far as i can tell as everything links back to the official website etc. But i'd rather not watch the bbc and not have a licence or have adds on there :P just not when the footy or f1 is on :P

Edit : 1 thing i don't understand is even if you didn't watch tv and only watched dvds you still have to have a licence..

Last edited:

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
its just odd lol never would of thought you would need a licence for a tv.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
TV License isn't just if you own a TV lol, it's if your using it to gain access to Broadcasts. Having one for just console playing for example you wouldn't have to buy one, but using the console to broadcast E4 Catchup you would lol.

Bit dum tbh, but anyway i also had these letters a while ago, found out it was a simple fact they still thought the previous occupents of this house were still living here. So i have a TV License for my name, but the name they were probably searching for wouldn't have 1 for my address. Either that or there just complete retards that can't work a simple database system, or what others have said, someones forging letters to scam you lol

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Edit : 1 thing i don't understand is even if you didn't watch tv and only watched dvds you still have to have a licence..

No you don't.

You can have as many TVs as you want, but you pay your license to be able to receive the broadcasts - not to use your equipment. You can play consoles, watch dvds, heck - even watch TV on the internet without having a TV license.