Valkyrie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
Why has the Server discussion thread gone and the usercount is no longer on the list?

Some people don't use Discord and will need to get hold of Valk for problems, any reason's why the biggest / most active server has had it's thread / UC taken away?

Seanofsmeg

Staff member
Apr 6, 2015
Hey,

I am glad someone created its own thread on it as it was taking away from the upgrade post as people were commenting on it. Reading through the upgrade thread where people have been posting about it what I can tell so far is:

• Tai removed it
  • Usercount was being inflated beyond what was on the server
  • Was quoted by another user as being 25+ what users where actually online
  • Whole forums section was deleted + removed off usercount feature list

I don't know how accurate the above is as its based on what I am reading from various users across the upgrade thread. However I don't quite understand why Tai would remove it. I understand the argument that the usercount was being inflated but we still have Scorpian's servers in there which need no introduction for user count inflation and has been servers over the years where bots / afk miners had made the server count higher as a nautral part of the game. I don't understand why the forums section was deleted either.

On a whole disagree with the decision. Think it was a bad one. Think it should be undone. Even if the server count is inflated slightly by 20-25 its still a top played server so still belongs at top of list. Not me defending the inflation if it is true but inflating it not its still always going to be close to 100 or so which will attract players so don't think the inflation is benefiting in any way as without the 25 extra the user count is still one of the best around.

PS haven't played valkrie or any other Mir server for about a month now as too much uni work so not defending Valk for anything other than believing the decision was wrong based on the info I have so far.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
If you inflate your UC numbers you get removed, happened to other server(s) as far as I remember.

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Valkyrie is good, it has a fresh custom feel to it. Agree it needed its own thread as tbh the new LOMCN got me hyped today it’s great looks really good, made me think Mir is not a slowly dying game but something that will keep modernising...then this happened with valk it put a downer on it.

Really bad timing for an upgrade to a forum to then stick a diversion sign to its daily commuters to go directly to Discord Jail. Do not pass Lomcn. Do not see it’s bright new purple colours.

StormHero

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 19, 2015
If you inflate your UC numbers you get removed, happened to other server(s) as far as I remember.
But why wouldn’t you inflate it to match ingame to? Whats the point of someone thinking ooo 100 play this by looking on lomcn, then logging in to see it say 70 online?

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Hey,

I am glad someone created its own thread on it as it was taking away from the upgrade post as people were commenting on it. Reading through the upgrade thread where people have been posting about it what I can tell so far is:

• Tai removed it
  • Usercount was being inflated beyond what was on the server
  • Was quoted by another user as being 25+ what users where actually online
  • Whole forums section was deleted + removed off usercount feature list
I don't know how accurate the above is as its based on what I am reading from various users across the upgrade thread. However I don't quite understand why Tai would remove it. I understand the argument that the usercount was being inflated but we still have Scorpian's servers in there which need no introduction for user count inflation and has been servers over the years where bots / afk miners had made the server count higher as a nautral part of the game. I don't understand why the forums section was deleted either.

On a whole disagree with the decision. Think it was a bad one. Think it should be undone. Even if the server count is inflated slightly by 20-25 its still a top played server so still belongs at top of list. Not me defending the inflation if it is true but inflating it not its still always going to be close to 100 or so which will attract players so don't think the inflation is benefiting in any way as without the 25 extra the user count is still one of the best around.

PS haven't played valkrie or any other Mir server for about a month now as too much uni work so not defending Valk for anything other than believing the decision was wrong based on the info I have so far.

Firstly the section being removed is not linked to the removal from status list. Despite all the fake news being spread by Valk himself, everything was explained in depth to him. (v mature)

The forum sections are set up by us in goodwill for servers that need them, or don't want to set up their own forum. It also saves people from registering in multiple places. The Valk section got removed as it wasn't being used by the GM. No one was managing it or answering people. Countless posts not answered or queries met with "join discord if you want an answer, no one uses this forum". The GM hadn't even logged in to lomcn for 9 days until today. But now there's uproar? 😄 funny that

If you want that free extra advertising on our frontpage, then you're expected to make use of it and manage it appropriately. Here it had essentially become a URL to his own outside forum/discord.

As stated, he's free to continue to advertise in the main section as normal and use a discussion thread, just like everybody else.

Last edited:

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
I actually didn't notice the section had gone or EE for that matter, my comments on the upgrade thread was referring to the status removal, no owner should inflate it in any way shape or form, it's a form of false advertising.

I also agree if the sections aren't being used enough (if at all) it should be removed, I'm fine with this decision.

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
Except he doesn't have a forum, just a discord and he rarely replies to that too. He works a job and manages what little time he has on the server. I can understand the reasoning to remove the UC listing but a lot of useful information was put onto the server thread by the community, us as players, and we used it even if the GM himself didn't - surely that's reason enough to bring it back?

I dunno, just feels off to me.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Except he doesn't have a forum, just a discord and he rarely replies to that too. He works a job and manages what little time he has on the server. I can understand the reasoning to remove the UC listing but a lot of useful information was put onto the server thread by the community, us as players, and we used it even if the GM himself didn't - surely that's reason enough to bring it back?

I dunno, just feels off to me.

We'll take that on board, it's still being discussed in the staff section.

If he doesn't have time then he really ought to employ a community liaison manager

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: zedina

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
If he doesn't have time then he really ought to employ a community liaison manager

I'll ask him to hire one.

It just so happens, I'm free.

2u38ph.jpg

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Funnily enough there has been talk of a community manager to answer people’s requests tonight. If the space was given back im sure it would be handled better in future.

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
What a joke reply, " It was removed because the GM didn't use his section " .. So like every other ******* server owner who's had their own section. Apoc used it to post Patch notes pretty much and reply on threads. ( about 52 hours late but reply ) the exact same as what Valk has been doing.

Fishy as ****.

Reactions: Swoosh

<SOSO>

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 8, 2012
lol'd irl
I remember when arcadia had like 100+ uc and 95% of them were stalls and it was like that for months and months. How's that for fake uc?

Reactions: Piff1

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
The forum sections are set up by us in goodwill for servers that need them, or don't want to set up their own forum. It also saves people from registering in multiple places. The Valk section got removed as it wasn't being used by the GM. No one was managing it or answering people. Countless posts not answered or queries met with "join discord if you want an answer, no one uses this forum". The GM hadn't even logged in to lomcn for 9 days until today. But now there's uproar? 😄 funny that

Valkyrie doesn't have a forum, I , through my own spare time, not part of Valk's staff, was utilizing the forum sub as an information hub for Valk's game, I have links from Discord leading to your server to threads on the sub, very useful information on the game editted well (something that Discord is unable to do). EVERY game needs a forum, discord is renowed for fast/troll posting and constructive/suggestive posts get tossed to the wind quite frequently and forums allow a lot of information and important topics to be much more of a permanent fixture.

Iceman is the ONLY person I see who has taken it upon himself to go and multiple post in one thread "blah blah go on discord, it's the best", is this really enough to warrant a suspension? a randomer that isn't part of the server team?

Lomcn is the central hub for every mir player, this can massively hurt anyone, I can't help but feel shocked by how you can easily do this, this is hurting players the most.

Also a GM needs to utlize the forum to the best of his abilities? All Jamie does is post his Patch notes, takes the feedback, makes a few posts and thats basically it, you'll see the odd reply now and again to a handful of threads but most of the time it will be giving the same answers as a frequent player of the server would. So with that said, Valk is making more effective use of his time by spending less time on the forum answering stuff that is most of the time answered by his player community and able to spend more time with ingame tinkering, you could of suggested or told him to "do a Jamie" and release a "Patch notes" thread and feedback is given there. I'm surfing through the Valk forum sub and can't see anything but Iceman's post which is basically saying..yea "get off the forum and onto discord", any randomer can go on any sub in theory and do the same.

ChaseyLane

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
why delete his forum thread..? if this is a "mir community" why not ask said community..? seems fishy to me in all honesty, very poor reasons given by mods too, theres what 5/6 populated mir servers at best, did you need the space or something..? this is also the most populated server about at the minute ... all you've effectively achieved is stopping people who play the game using your site, isn't that the opposite of what you want on a "legend of mir community network" ????

Reactions: HxH

HxH

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
May 17, 2017
ye, dont feel right for me, havent played any servers after apoc, but i do enjoy checking dramas threads from diff servers, its a shame to remove it

Vagrant

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 13, 2004
Romania
There is alot of bull here. A sub section that was not being used by the owner, in which the owner was redirecting people to discord are now mad? So what was the point of the sub forum if they are not using it anyway then ? Posting patch notes? That can be done in the main thread....

Also even though Tai removed without telling the owner that his section will be removed, is not really fair, but if he was not logged in 9 days, how is he suppose to contact him ? I doubt the lomcn staff's will go to their discord and message them if they are not active here.

Reactions: Tai

Robert

Actual Jesus
VIP
Jan 1, 1970
Yes.
Employ a community manager? Jesus wept, we are talking about a MIR server.... surely part of the enjoyment is interacting with a community that you’ve been part of for god knows how many years.

Reactions: Sirks
Status
Not open for further replies.