Virtual Machines

Join Discord

jaffar91

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 10, 2011
Hi ladies and gents,

With Sting bringing up a new Mir 3.55 server I've got a huge nostalgia itch that I just cant scratch on my new laptop!

I played mir 2/3 for 8 years on my last laptop and rarely had issues. On my new laptop Mir 3 is unplayable, as even with 4/5 BW mobs on screen I'm two-stepping. Cant imagine what it would be like having tempest on screen to!

I've heard that people have installed VM's and are using XP to play.

I'm no techie (I even had to google what a VM is :rolleyes-new:)

Can someone help a noob out and tell me where to install a VM and also if there's somewhere I can install xp from (or would it come with it)?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
You may be better dual booting windows xp/7 and windows 10, it depends on the drivers available for your machine however (network drives and so on...) failing that the only solution is a VM which are rather easy to setup, there's plenty of guides available on google/youtube.

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
It's easy just download VMware, download a copy of windows XP easy to get on google ( make sure there no code needed ), then set up your virtual machine adding the amount of ram etc you want to dedicate from your computer to your virtual computer, install windows XP, start using. It's all very easy to use once you've downloaded it, i done it first time years ago without any YT videos or help so i'm sure ull be fine xD

Although dual booting in the better option depending on the size of your memory.

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
Hi Guys,

Just like to say that I installed "Oracle VM VirtualBox", downloaded a copy of Windows XP Pro 32 bit (found somewhere... Windows XP Professional SP3 x86 - Black Edition 2015.5.15 - doesn't need a key!) and downloaded and installed Sting3G on it and OMG.. the speed!

Some slight graphics glitches now and then, and it comes up with a 3D error when loading the game up, but overall, can't complain.

I can't really host an image though as its 5.5gb. But if anyone needs anything else, I can try to help.

hittman9328

LOMCN Rookie
Apr 17, 2018
how do you install xp on the VM? when i start the VM u, fatal message comes up on a black screen

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
First you need an ISO of XP - Download this from somewhere.
You need to attach the installer (.iso) as a Virtual CD Rom, and boot from this.
Then install as you would on a normal pc.

Depending on what you use for the VM, usually you'd go into the settings of that VM, go over to CD Rom, and browse to the ISO file and attach it.
Make sure the boot settings on the VM are set to boot from CD Rom.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
New patch from windows actually made it works decent GSP for me tbh. I dont think i added anything to the pc, or its just a simple confusion but im running it on 50-60fps, shame its capped.

James

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 31, 2010
If you have windows 10 Pro I would enable Hyper-V for VMs (some BIOS settings may need adjusted for VM use)

If you have windows 10 home then I would use Oracle virtualbox, its mince but does the job. Hyper-V as a VM host works much better with the OS
I would also take your PC/Laptop spec into consideration when setting any VM up as it will use constant resources while running so you basically double the requirement needed.

---------- Post Merged at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Just had a scan through my files, I'm just uploading a RAR file which contains a windows 7 ultimate USB edition (bootable from a 16Gb+ USB stick)

I seem to think it's cracked to not require a license code but if it does cdkeys sell them cheap too still. Will post the link to the download shortly.

---------- Post Merged at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Now uploaded to OneDrive, please be considerate with downloads and do not share the link away from this forum

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao12TwfKw3QHgdoC_zSyegQhAxl9-Q

jaffar99

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 15, 2011
MirHooligan,

Sorry to be that guy but what do I now do with this Windows 7? haha

James

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 31, 2010
Once you extract it there is a lovely little READ ME file :D

and if you can't extract it, download winRAR :bord:

---------- Post Merged at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Oh and just to add I've found my Win7 ultimate ISO's for x86 and x64 (from a genuine retail copy) but they will need product key's, I can upload the ISO's if anyone needs them. They have had the config file modified to allow install of any edition.