VMware Fusion vs Virtual Box

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
I've been on virtual machines for over a year, experimenting, after having studying and training.

I've used Virtual Box and have come across VMWare Fusion which has a free version for Mac OS X.

I'm interested in making an SDL project on Windows 10 virtual machine, which I just drafted up earlier this week.

Which out of VMWare Fusion and Virtual Box would you recommend?

Should I stick to Virtual Box or go for VMWare Fusion?

Reactions: guofeng000

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
I love Mac OS X.

I do however have a Windows 7 VM which I'm going to shut down once I've got all my stuff off it.

Windows 10 for the win!

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
MacOSX is terrible from its very start back in 1980s. I cut my computing teeth on a gifted Mac SE and, then I bought Performa and Power Mac and after that I bought PC when it came with win95 or was it 98 and never looked back. Manipulating and navigating in 'windows' in Finder is as primitive as it was back when I was still using it and every time I service macs and need to take screenshot, I need to search web which keys to press for screenshot and forget the combination next day. Love for mac osx is not a rational thing, just emotional.

Mac hardware is pretty but OSX is disappointing for everybody who is used to windows. This Christmas I was unpacking iMac 24, 2021 model which is the latest in that line up. I thought it weird that after the unboxing, the computer itself was so light and the empty box was much heavier, probably twice as heavy or even heavier that that, as the computer that was inside LOL
Very fancy packing to be sure but how do mac lovers square it with their typical green earth resources saving, I don't know. And that fancy box came inside another plain brown box that I didn't even take into the weight account... I've never seen such a waste :rolleyes:

As for the choice, since VBox is all free, it is probably better than the free Fusion because that free version exists as a step up to paid version and so I'd suspect it is likely limited in some ways, where VB is not. It might be different btw comparing VB vs paid Fusion. You should google it, I am sure there is plenty of debates out there on this topic.

Last edited:

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
I'm already thinking of getting a Windows 10 device.

Would be for gaming.

Benjy

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 17, 2016
I've been on virtual machines for over a year, experimenting, after having studying and training.

I've used Virtual Box and have come across VMWare Fusion which has a free version for Mac OS X.

I'm interested in making an SDL project on Windows 10 virtual machine, which I just drafted up earlier this week.

Which out of VMWare Fusion and Virtual Box would you recommend?

Should I stick to Virtual Box or go for VMWare Fusion?
Sounds like the choice of virtualisation platform is arbitrary and the real learning is going to start once you get going with your project.
Just pick one. They're both means to an end. I use Virtual Box on Mac, and I use VMWare at work (Windows), or QEMU on Linux boxes.

Reactions: Omnibus

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
All depends what you are using them for.
If you simply want to host a VM using WIndows, LInux, MacOS etc for basic tasks, then either will suffice and it goes down to preference. Which ever you find the easiest to use.

If you are wanting more from the virtual machines then you need to look at the features each offer.

Here's a good comparison: https://graspingtech.com/vmware-fusion-vs-oracle-virtualbox/

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
All depends what you are using them for.
If you simply want to host a VM using WIndows, LInux, MacOS etc for basic tasks, then either will suffice and it goes down to preference. Which ever you find the easiest to use.

If you are wanting more from the virtual machines then you need to look at the features each offer.

Here's a good comparison: https://graspingtech.com/vmware-fusion-vs-oracle-virtualbox/
Thank you for sharing.

I'm looking at this now.

Thanks again everyone for responding with the advice needed.

Reactions: Martyn