Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

2dope

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 15, 2005
When I was younger and played Euro I hated leveling, so I was not too fond of Euro rates, however, as I've got older I actually think they are my favorite if another official server or long time server came out.

However, out of all the servers I've played over the years I believe P69 for me hit the balance just right, and if I recall that was a high-rate server.
What about you?

I did have a poll but not sure where it went :(

Last edited:

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
For me it depends on the chance of reward during the "grind".
For example, if I'm levelling in PT I like to know I have a chance of a decent drop that will make the grind worthwhile.

That could be a book, rare item or added stat item. Plus in some caves, the chance of a sub boss which again, could drop something worthwhile.

Without that "chance" I get bored of the grind as there's nothing to aim for other than the EXP % bar slowly moving.

Reactions: 2dope and Wond

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
I personally always loved playing p69 back in the day, I do like the idea of a good high rate but it seems in the current times, they just don't release well.

I think this is down to people burning through the content too quickly. Always thought about releasing my own high rate but really having it worked on before releasing. Just get loads of content out and as much bug fixes as possible while the server is not released. Being able to release the server and not needing to worry about adding new content straight away but being able to focus on those bugs which will be found.

Reactions: 2dope

xXxLegendxXx

Banned
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Hi, glad you asked.

Super High Rate. I'll never play anything else.

A good example of a super high rate exp server would be Oldskool v2 by Ben if anyone remembers that server (y)

In my opinion not worth playing mir if mobs give less exp than 0.01% per mob because some of us have lives :S

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Just get loads of content out and as much bug fixes as possible while the server is not released.
You work on your idea of server for some time, you get to the point where it looks like you don't know what else to add to it and want to show it off finally to start reaping some rewards and motivation for all that work which flags if go it alone...

You announce the server opening too soon which creates pressure on you when inevitably you run into unforeseen delays (murphy's law), then you open server with fingers crossed and spend next week or two fielding fixes for this and that...

Maybe playing your server solo on all chars, say to lev20 (or higher if you set a bit higher rate) would reveal what needs to be fixed, there is no better way to find out other than in actual playing.

I am OK with any rate as long as you get those rewards Skyline mentioned (of course on LR you need to adjust your patience accordingly). I quit many servers at a point when I couldn't get items to make any progress at all (to be able to go hunt in higher level caves). It wasn't a question of reward (that sounds like getting a perk improving your already good game) but rather it was essential.

Reactions: Jev and 2dope

Flatline

Dickhead ;)
Loyal Member
Jun 9, 2018
Leeds
When I was younger and played Euro I hated leveling, so I was not too fond of Euro rates, however, as I've got older I actually think they are my favorite if another official server or long time server came out.

However, out of all the servers I've played over the years I believe P69 for me hit the balance just right, and if I recall that was a high-rate server.
What about you?

I did have a poll but not sure where it went :(
med-high
Hi, glad you asked.

A good example of a super high rate exp server would be Oldskool v2 by Ben if anyone remembers that server (y)

In my opinion not worth playing mir if mobs give less exp than 0.01% per mob because some of us have lives :S
yeah can relate if u get lower than like 0.08 not really worth leveling usually lol and if it does just takes alot of time where most dont have time id like a decent / steady way up there

Reactions: xXxLegendxXx

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
The fact that after nearly 22 years there are still people totally addicted to the game by either playing it or coding it suggests that they had the rates spot on in the first place.
So low rates for me.

Reactions: Jev and Far

sweetfa

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 30, 2003
UK
Low to med rate for me really although i do also enjoy just low. I dont like high rate it all seems to rush rush for me

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Hi, glad you asked.

Seriously, what does it matter if it's high rate or low rate?
You still get the hardcore players going miles ahead with the levels to a point for you to catch up you'll end up in the 0.01% a mob bracket.

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
Levelling on Euro was much more fun with a hunting buddy.

I did enjoy solo hunts for Woomataurus but also going through Treepath taking down Crystal Spider and going to Mineral Mines where I got a BA drop on the upper floors.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
The content should matter more than the rate.

If you've got a low rate where you have to repeat the same cave 20 times before progressing, or if you've got a high rate where you out level the cave within the first floor - both are as bad imo.

As long as theres steady content given to the player then the rate at which those numbers increase really shouldn't make any difference. At the end of the day they're meaningless. You could be level 10 or level 10000, what matters is the balance of everything else around you in comparison (which on any good server will be exactly the same for a low or high rate)

Reactions: Jev

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Suppose on LR the cap is lev50 and the equivalent of that on HR might be lev500.

Getting to 500 on HR in practice means you will go through many more items than on LR when getting to 50, making the going more entertaining.

On HR you usually won't be so unlucky that you can't get the next kit to progress to next cave/levels. On LR the luck/unluck margin is usually more narrow, it is relatively easy to happen to be unlucky an not get the kit to allow you to progress.

When playing solo, you have better chance to make it relatively farther on HR than on LR. You can get stuck on both but on HR you might get stuck relatively further on.
In view of that, being guilded is probably more important on LR. Also, on LR you will appreciate playing alongside with others more as you will spend more time without making fast progress. Group playing compensates greatly for those times when items don't drop often as at least you have the company which helps to hold your interest through those longer stretches.