What your favourite VPS service provider?

Join Discord

TheOnlyOne

DarkReturn Server High Rate
Loyal Member
Dark Return
Game Master
Oct 6, 2017
Jordan
its 35+ tbh and im not looking for cash as i spend from my irl cash more than you Imagine ;)

michaelj:mrj

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jan 13, 2005
United Kingdom
RE Mir hosting, for a tighter budget, with a change to the CrystalMir code you can run the server on a Linux machine using Mono. You will need a full desktop install (of something like Ubuntu). It does occasionally segfault when you launch it, though, and I haven't tested it past getting the thing to launch and load maps.

Please bear in mind that I'm no C# developer.

MONO_IOMAP=all mono Server.exe

Diff:
diff --git a/Server/MirForms/SMain.resx b/Server/MirForms/SMain.resx
index b22e28c..44ad964 100644
--- a/Server/MirForms/SMain.resx
+++ b/Server/MirForms/SMain.resx
@@ -130,6 +130,7 @@
     <value>42</value>
   </metadata>
   <assembly alias="System.Drawing" name="System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
+  <!--
   <data name="$this.Icon" type="System.Drawing.Icon, System.Drawing" mimetype="application/x-microsoft.net.object.bytearray.base64">
     <value>
         AAABAAEAAAAAAAEAIAAoIAQAFgAAACgAAAAAAQAAAAIAAAEAIAAAAAAAACAEABMLAAATCwAAAAAAAAAA
@@ -4641,4 +4642,5 @@
         //////////////////////////////////////////////////8=
</value>
   </data>
-</root>
\ No newline at end of file
+  -->
+</root>

YMMV.

2019-08-27-122615_1737x752_scrot.png

On topic - my servers are hosted by SoYouStart, Vultr (who are the cheapest I've found providing a /64 IPv6 range), and DigitalOcean.

Last edited:
Reactions: Martyn

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
RE Mir hosting, for a tighter budget, with a change to the CrystalMir code you can run the server on a Linux machine using Mono. You will need a full desktop install (of something like Ubuntu). It does occasionally segfault when you launch it, though, and I haven't tested it past getting the thing to launch and load maps.

Diff:
@@ -130,6 +130,7 @@
     <value>42</value>
   </metadata>
   <assembly alias="System.Drawing" name="System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
+  <!--
   <data name="$this.Icon" type="System.Drawing.Icon, System.Drawing" mimetype="application/x-microsoft.net.object.bytearray.base64">
     <value>
         AAABAAEAAAAAAAEAIAAoIAQAFgAAACgAAAAAAQAAAAIAAAEAIAAAAAAAACAEABMLAAATCwAAAAAAAAAA
@@ -4641,4 +4642,5 @@
</value>
   </data>
-</root>
+  -->
+</root>

YMMV.

View attachment 21569

On topic - my servers are hosted by SoYouStart, Vultr (who are the cheapest I've found providing a /64 IPv6 range), and DigitalOcean.

Diff:
@@ -130,6 +130,7 @@
     <value>42</value>
   </metadata>
+  <!--
     <value>
@@ -4641,4 +4642,5 @@
</value>
   </data>
-</root>
+  -->
+</root>

YMMV.

View attachment 21569

within the code area are those the changes? could it not be made to accept both?

michaelj:mrj

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jan 13, 2005
United Kingdom
Yes. The changes in the diff are just to comment out an icon that Mono doesn't seem to like. The file itself is XML, so as far as I'm aware there isn't really a way to do a conditional platform-based statement to just apply my change. The icon could possibly be non-standard (the build error is "Invalid ResX input." with inner exception "No valid icon entry were found."). CrystalMir obviously wasn't intended to run on Linux, so I didn't raise an issue for this obscure edge case you can get around with a bit of a hack.

I suspect the changes wouldn't be required for a different icon.

The line below (MONO_IOMAP=all mono Server.exe sets an environment variable (to make the filesystem links in the project work - Linux file and directory names are case-sensitive and directories are separated with forward slashes rather than backward ones) and then launches the server.

If there's interest I'll write up a full guide or provide a setup script in a more suitable topic. Looks like my process on Arch Linux was something like this:
  1. Clone the repository from GitHub.
  2. Run autopatcher on Windows to get various Envir assets (maps etc)
  3. Switch to your Linux machine
  4. Install mono-devel and mono-xbuild. Looks like these are available under the same package name on recent versions of Ubuntu.
  5. Apply the patch (which comments out the icon in Server/MirForms/SMain.resx)
  6. Build the project: MONO_IOMAP=all xbuild Server/Server.csproj
  7. Run the built executable from where your Envir assets are. You may have to drop in a few missing empty files and directories if it complains. It looks like I may also have nabbed Server.MirADB and Server.MirDB from a Windows-built version.
It's a few months since I got this working, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details. When I've got a minute I'll actually connect to a Linux-hosted server and check it actually properly works.

@Tai - I still lurk occasionally, wouldn't want to miss out on anything exciting! Also it's nice to finally contribute something useful rather than just shitposting and getting myself banned over and over...

• Haha
Reactions: Tai

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Yes. The changes in the diff are just to comment out an icon that Mono doesn't seem to like. The file itself is XML, so as far as I'm aware there isn't really a way to do a conditional platform-based statement to just apply my change. The icon could possibly be non-standard (the build error is "Invalid ResX input." with inner exception "No valid icon entry were found."). CrystalMir obviously wasn't intended to run on Linux, so I didn't raise an issue for this obscure edge case you can get around with a bit of a hack.

I suspect the changes wouldn't be required for a different icon.

The line below (MONO_IOMAP=all mono Server.exe sets an environment variable (to make the filesystem links in the project work - Linux file and directory names are case-sensitive and directories are separated with forward slashes rather than backward ones) and then launches the server.

If there's interest I'll write up a full guide or provide a setup script in a more suitable topic. Looks like my process on Arch Linux was something like this:
  1. Clone the repository from GitHub.
  2. Run autopatcher on Windows to get various Envir assets (maps etc)
  3. Switch to your Linux machine
  4. Install mono-devel and mono-xbuild. Looks like these are available under the same package name on recent versions of Ubuntu.
  5. Apply the patch (which comments out the icon in Server/MirForms/SMain.resx)
  6. Build the project: MONO_IOMAP=all xbuild Server/Server.csproj
  7. Run the built executable from where your Envir assets are. You may have to drop in a few missing empty files and directories if it complains. It looks like I may also have nabbed Server.MirADB and Server.MirDB from a Windows-built version.
It's a few months since I got this working, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details. When I've got a minute I'll actually connect to a Linux-hosted server and check it actually properly works.

@Tai - I still lurk occasionally, wouldn't want to miss out on anything exciting! Also it's nice to finally contribute something useful rather than just shitposting and getting myself banned over and over...
I believe there would be interest. It would save people £20+ a month in window fees, (those with out there own license)

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Bringing this back to life...

I'm wanting a VPS/Dedi that runs windows.

It's not to host a server or for anything too powerful. Simply just a sandbox that I can run basic apps, test apps etc.

Any recommendations? Cheap as possible

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
I have one with 1&1, was a 6 month promo @ £1 a month + license fee (£26 I think), then rises to basic fee of £55 but I picked the top tier, not had any issues with it.
Only had an issue with their FTP via their web hosting.
I don’t like their customer support, bunch of dumbasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Bringing this back to life...

I'm wanting a VPS/Dedi that runs windows.

It's not to host a server or for anything too powerful. Simply just a sandbox that I can run basic apps, test apps etc.

Any recommendations? Cheap as possible

I'm not sure about this but I've heard about people installing Windows in DigitalOcean droplets. If you have your own license it could be a cheap alternative. But first check if you can install the OS.

Reactions: Pete107

shinsutso

LOMCN Member
Nov 1, 2019
I'm not sure about this but I've heard about people installing Windows in DigitalOcean droplets. If you have your own license it could be a cheap alternative. But first check if you can install the OS.
How can you install windows in digitalocean droplets? don't answer my question if it's much work to explain

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
How can you install windows in digitalocean droplets? don't answer my question if it's much work to explain

I don't know. I said I heard some people managed to do it. Looks like there are some tutorials on Youtube, you might want to check there.