whats the best way i could setup....

2fast2furious

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 22, 2004
something so my dad could watch all my movies / tv shows from his house, like stream them rather than me puting things on disk or usb all the time lol, i have 16mb upload so the net wouldnt be a problem for me to stream them to him i wouldnt have thought.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Are you wanting to host the files at your house, and stream them to your dads TV in another house? Or is the data and TV both at the same house?

ixtrix

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 13, 2012
simple and dirty way is make a torrent , and use the feature in utorrent to stream

2fast2furious

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 22, 2004
yeah we are in differant houses, i take it its not simple to setup a flash / silverlight server or somthing lol?

ixtrix

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 13, 2012
silverlight easy enough if have things like xampp already , or could use xampp to make a forum and embed using flash to stream
personally tho i prefer the torrent method since will always be at source quality and plays different formats without needing convert to mp4 etc

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
torrents aren't a good method for streaming live, especially with only 1 sharer.

Easiest method is putting your files on a networked drive (NAS server being the cheapest) . You could use your current computer, however obviously it would need to be switched on for him to access it. Once its online all your dad needs to do is put in your ip address, and boom, he can instantly stream all your files.

You'll need a good upload speed for movie streaming though.

XMBC is a good free program for streaming data from an IP.

ixtrix

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 13, 2012
fail to see how torrent stream can be any worse than nas since both rely on the exact same upload speed
except with torrent it can be getting parts in advance (buffering),while nas doesnt work that way