Where is it all going wrong?

smoochy boys on tour

sweetfa

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 30, 2003
UK
First of all only polite answers pleas no bitchfesting allowed. So i have been here over 20 years now on this my only account. I know i dont have a high post count and that is mainly down to me only wanting to post where i see fit. Despite this i have always been here reading and watching.

Over the past few years of to i have noticed more and more anger/toxicity/near abusive behavior and in honesty it saddens me. It used to be a great community (and in some places still is) but it just seems to slowly be getting worse. One thing that i do like is lately i have seen some long lost names returning which i find enlightning. But for the best part the angst and hostility is still breeding.

Part of me thinks the implication of Discord is to blame as people seem to get all fired up on there then bring themselves back here to try and get their point of view across a bit more forcibly. (i personally hate discord for servers its a cesspit of dispair a lot of the time. But i dont know. Iknow the intoduction of cash cows has not helped but you all know which servers are going to be cash cows and readily play them so that is on the player alone If you knowingly play a cash cow then in reality you have no cause to complain later down the line as you knew what to expect.

things use to seemingly be a lot more simple when the server owners would push the boundaries with the files they had and work and learn by their mistakes with guidence from the more knowlageable ones on here. now with the introduction of "ready made server files" "server to go" its too easy and so many server owners dont put as much effort into it as they dont really have to. For a quick cash grab its almost plug and play.

That being said i love that we do still have a few people that really know how to make the files work to their full potential and some the ones that take time and practically re invent the game. They are my true mir heros.

just my 2 cents (probably loads more but wall of text no good )

SPL1FF

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Banshee
Game Master
Mar 24, 2003
Discord has its positives and negatives and while I wish we could move away from it back onto forums I don't think it will happen. There does seem to generally be a drop in basic respect for one another and I think we can all be found guilty of that myself included.

Respect works both ways of course, and while I think respect towards players from server owners has been damaged by things such as the Apoc V2 saga and obvious cash cows, server owners take unfounded abuse from players also. Need a way to repair this and try to move on somehow!

I would love to see a drive to move all mir-related activity back to LOMCN so that instead of server discords for discussion, each server has its own little sub-forum like Banshee has for people to discuss points. A server can still have a discord of course but we could try and centralise the community again to LOMCN which might help to invigorate it. A lot of people don't need to come to LOMCN as they can jump between discord servers.

Reactions: sweetfa

Lilcooldoode

LOMCN Developer
Developer
May 10, 2003
Yes
The real turning point in my opinion was when everyone became savvy to how much money mir can generate. People do not like to see other people earning lots of money, especially if they themselves are struggling - that isn't a problem exclusively to Mir.

Mir is a competitive and high risk game, there will ALWAYS be animosity between players, but now because of money you see more animosity between players vs server owners, and server owners vs server owners.

Last edited:

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Like every game you get toxic people, arseholes, the usual underbelly of society.

One of the big issues to me is "its just banter", which is great for people you know, and know you.
You can't just say that to everyone and anyone to excuse you being a complete ass.
Mir is however, a hyper competitive game due to how items can be lost, and that does bring people's side out, out of passion, anger or being pissed off.

It's hard but people should go in each server with a new mindset, but get burned so many times, you stay away.
Let servers you hate define the people behind them, not the game or community itself.

@SPL1FF agreed and that's why I am glad me and Sanj now have in development, as it isn't just about going "Live", the production of the server builds the hype, lets us showcase what we are doing, spitballing ideas and concepts to a wider audience.
Discord, doing this just gets lost.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
The real turning point in my opinion was when everyone became savvy to how much money mir can generate. People do not like to see other people earning lots of money, especially if they themselves are struggling - that isn't a problem exclusively to Mir.

Mir is a competitive and high risk game, there will ALWAYS be animosity between players, but now because of money you see more animosity between players vs server owners, and server owners vs server owners.

The only
The only indeed. Couldn't have said it better myself!

Money is the problem. Players expecting server teams to operate like companies because they're charging coin like companies. I've just been accused of being corrupt for taking £5 payments for the u/c display, so it's easy to imagine what players think of GM's who are taking thousands of pounds 😂

It's not sustainable but I don't see there's any going back now. Players want to be able to P2W as much as GM's want to make money for their work. This is the beginning of the end imo.

SPL1FF

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Banshee
Game Master
Mar 24, 2003
@SPL1FF agreed and that's why I am glad me and Sanj now have in development, as it isn't just about going "Live", the production of the server builds the hype, lets us showcase what we are doing, spitballing ideas and concepts to a wider audience.
Discord, doing this just gets lost.
I'm really pleased you have that, and looking forward to both of your servers coming out!

I'm currently really enjoying using the forums more regularly again. Apart from last night's episode, the conversations have been much better rather than trying to navigate through discord spam. I think the last server that had a really active forum use was Chronicles, perhaps you or Sanj can recreate that.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I have no issues with GMs making money from their servers, ultimately the time invested can be rewarded, and many of us do outlay expenses before live (especially if you are buying in game resources, sounds, music etc).
I just think the way in which this is approached needs to be more concious.

Optional Memberships work; that or fair game shops.

24h exp pots for 50p rather than 1 hour exp pots for a couple of quid; but also allowing these very items to be attainable via playing the game.

People will still pay; even if they are there for other methods, because they can get them quicker.

I haven't settled on anything on the monetary side of things yet; I am just keeping an eye on what others are doing, what is received well (and is fair) and what is not.
I have my own ideas and this will all be put to the public before launch to see peoples thoughts.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
I haven't settled on anything on the monetary side of things yet; I am just keeping an eye on what others are doing, what is received well (and is fair) and what is not.
I have my own ideas and this will all be put to the public before launch to see peoples thoughts.
What about, Click get free GG button in game, and what pops up? “Answer these survey questions to get your free 1000 GG” haha :P

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
What about, Click get free GG button in game, and what pops up? “Answer these survey questions to get your free 1000 GG” haha :p

Maybe LOMCN should offer to sell GG on behalf of servers for a global currency taking a cut, and we could then allow Crypto? 😂 Tai can afford a new decent BMW then in no time and not be reliant on corrupt £5 u/c display.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Maybe LOMCN should offer to sell GG on behalf of servers for a global currency taking a cut, and we could then allow Crypto? 😂 Tai can afford a new decent BMW then in no time and not be reliant on corrupt £5 u/c display.
I don't know, the corrupt mir alliance advert that shows up 100% of the time is bring in the💰

• Love
Reactions: sweetfa and Tai

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex

Ultimately Game shops should be made to suit your server, be it VIP, or Loot crates - don't let others define how you market and advertise your server.
I don't know, the corrupt mir alliance advert that shows up 100% of the time is bring in the💰
only 42 players online in middle of day must be ****.... Id much prefer Arcadia with 98, or Artificial with 56 users.

Side note P69 only has 1 player?!?!?! Jesus, RIP <3

SPL1FF

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Banshee
Game Master
Mar 24, 2003
Probably an Arcadia stall bot that clicked the wrong server :P

Omnibus

Banned
Banned
Dec 9, 2021
Ultimately Game shops should be made to suit your server, be it VIP, or Loot crates - don't let others define how you market and advertise your server.

only 42 players online in middle of day must be ****.... Id much prefer Arcadia with 98, or Artificial with 56 users.

Side note P69 only has 1 player?!?!?! Jesus, RIP <3
I will see if my account still works on P69.

Would be like playing a one player game if like that.

Scampi

Banned
Banned
Mar 23, 2009

Ever since that advert went live I heard you have 4 camels in your garden and wear a thawb.

Azura

Mir3 Coder & Adviser
Mar 12, 2005
I dont see it being the fact servers offer things for money.. thats been a feature in servers since RaGEZONE / R n d pro days... its not like its a new thing to servers..

I would say that the main issue is rinse and repeating the same content over an over.. but players also like the content and play it easier than conent thats new. Its hard to please people because whas left of the community are mixed with what they enjoy and what they expect.

I do feel that back in the day even with servers providing things in exchange for money, it used to be different.. servers were run for the fun of the owner and what they could do with a game that wasnt decades old.. now its how much owners can make out of a game thats decades old.

SPL1FF

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Banshee
Game Master
Mar 24, 2003
They have 5 online now... THEY'RE BACK BABY!
We should arrange a pump and dump mir style and see if we can get the p69 user count to the moon once more!

On a serious note, can we please remove p69 from the user count listing, seeing my beloved Banshee user count being beaten by a 20-year-old server at periods of the day is a real kick in the danglies :ROFLMAO: