Why are Mir Server counts lower than Soma?

tha4thface2

LOMCN Rookie
Jul 26, 2018
Hi there. I have returned wanting to have a good play on my all time favourite Mir 2.
i had abandoned ship years ago when alot of the main Mir 2 Servers became boring and i went to Myth of Soma.
Now when i think about it, it wasn't content or grind that made the server boring (thats what mir is all about and im a big fan of 1.4!) it was the constant complaining from people wanting almost RND clonded servers, high rates, zero grind, pvp and boss killing only. thats boring!!! now after reading the forums for a day i'm getting a theory as to why there is such a low fanbase now, i can easily assume alot of the server counts are false, i.e most people run multi clients. its disheartening really.
heres a new server boasting new maps and new this but its not really new is it? changing skill trees etc or the game itself takes it away from mir.
imagine the power of the Recall Set now rendered useless by these new game mechanics like teleports to bosses
Wouldnt an almost identical clone to Official Mir be the answer? level 40 would take years of grind. boss hunts are impossible solo, restore that missing social factor and general pratting about fun as a break from the grind. Could all the server owners not Merge? imagine the content of every creator in one place, all redesigned to jell together, reduce the rates and combine server counts and restore the glory days of Q'ing for a boss (well i wouldn't go that far:p) there is only 1 soma server and numbers are high daily.
i want to play this game long term again and i know you will say 'well play a server like the rest of us do' but ive spent too much time choosing a server for it to vanish to quick or become abandoned. the 2 servers i seem to see consistant at the moment is Zircon and Arcadia.
Do you guys really enjoying making another character for the 100th time? leveling and playing and then getting bored by the end of the week and go looking elsewhere. Your ok i supose if you game with your real friends but if your gaming consists of making new groups of online friends and these servers leave you Solo'ing. whats the point?

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
We get these posts all the time. Here's one from a couple of weeks ago https://www.lomcn.org/forum/threads/time-no.102551/

I suggest giving that a read, it will answer most of your questions about that. I will answer a couple of points though.

i can easily assume alot of the server counts are false, i.e most people run multi clients. its disheartening really.

Where have you ascertained that from?

it was the constant complaining from people wanting almost RND clonded servers, high rates, zero grind, pvp and boss killing only.

High rate days are largely over, surely you can see this from the server list?

Low rates are much more popular now.

Do you guys really enjoying making another character for the 100th time? leveling and playing and then getting bored by the end of the week and go looking elsewhere.

Sadly yes, a lot seem to like this.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Highrates? Why ppls are so brainwashed nowdays with 129132 dmg, stupid drop rates that makes your screen looking like christmas tree?

:unsure:

Reactions: Ardbeg and ventus

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
The main thing Mir is always followed by the same crowd, but most have less time to commit to the game then they did in Mirs prime, so if it took a year to get to 40, I don't think anyone would have an interest in it unless each level was rewarding such as spells, items etc- which wasn't the original Mir, it was grinding for no real reason other than to be a higher level them some others, unless you got lucky; or joined on the Legendary Easter Event!

It's getting a balance, of the grind + reward, it always will be with games like Mir ( literally a game where you just grind out levels and items)
You get too much, you don't get that 'buzz' of a rare drop
Never see them, people cba as you need to spend weeks getting 'mid tier' items.

Even though I am releasing a server, I still crave a good mir server to play (I always will, I am an addict!) haha

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
He's not far wrong though, is he?

Zircon - Pig lvlers, miners and hoping for the EXP boots from someong dying.

Arcadia - Stalls?

Not sure about the others, but isn't Valkyrie's rested from being logged in, in a sz?

dazzaboi90

LOMCN Member
Dec 31, 2018
Nottingham
I remember playing a Mir 3 server years ago ( probably around 8 years or so ) and I can’t remember the name of the server but the GM was Andy , with the help of somebody called Gman if anybody knows of these at all or are still about ?!?!?

Anyway I completely agree with the OP ... Mir did seem to be much more social years ago , the grind seemed to be a lot longer with rewards right through rather than stopping at mid 80 ...

The server count was also At 200+ with a lot of them active and no experience donations for rebirth ...

Be interesting to know if anybody is playing moon x server when that launches soon though and if there’s anyone thinking of making a guild etc then let me know :)

Reactions: tha4thface2

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Not sure about the others, but isn't Valkyrie's rested from being logged in, in a sz?

It would be better if that were true but it has always been “rested gained from being logged out in sz” on Valkyrie.

Never got my head round that one, a lost benefit to the UC.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

Arcadia - Stalls?

Given that there's 20 servers on the list and you're only talking about 2, I think it's unfair to say the majority is fake lol.

Sure, not very player is "unique" but end of the day, people aren't logging multiple chars in to servers that aren't already popular

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Stop talking about fake usercounts or the new mod guy will clean this thread how he did to the previous one.

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
Stop talking about fake usercounts or the new mod guy will clean this thread how he did to the previous one.

Sadly i'm not overlord of mir 2 domain :(

I didn't infract you so why so much hostility. All adverts will be treated the same.

I don't know if mir 3 have server discussion sub forum? Maybe we should add this so you can put all your other server related garbage there instead of in the advert.

I'll get @Tai on it :D please clone this the same as mir 2.

Moral of the story, learn to play nicely or don't play at all.. if you have a problem with a server, advert or member then PM me, don't flame their advert.

*brain dump end*

Good evening all! Sorry for brain dumping in your thread :P

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Sadly i'm not overlord of mir 2 domain :(

I didn't infract you so why so much hostility. All adverts will be treated the same.

I don't know if mir 3 have server discussion sub forum? Maybe we should add this so you can put all your other server related garbage there instead of in the advert.

I'll get @Tai on it :D please clone this the same as mir 2.

Moral of the story, learn to play nicely or don't play at all.. if you have a problem with a server, advert or member then PM me, don't flame their advert.

*brain dump end*

Good evening all! Sorry for brain dumping in your thread :p

Daneo did managed mir3 section very well, even Martyn gave a hand when was needed, heck even Robert did a good job.

You are just an extra pair of socks, when you buy 5 and get +1 free

*brain dump end*

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Damn zed what you salty about

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I dont like the fact that a new moderator of this community cleans hells mess..

When i got acussed of faking usercount on a GSP server you burned me on the rug. But HEY! Hells does that, and all hid the mess under the carpet.

should i state that TDID when hells launched server in the early days asked to be his coder?

tha4thface2

LOMCN Rookie
Jul 26, 2018
Hello Tai, Thank you for replying.

We get these posts all the time. Here's one from a couple of weeks ago https://www.lomcn.org/forum/threads/time-no.102551/

I never saw that but the OP seems a tad rude...

Thats how it was last time i played, i myself ran more than 1 char at a time. 1 normally sat idle as a warehouse.

High rate days are largely over, surely you can see this from the server list?

Low rates are much more popular now.
if thats true, how come Archons is empty but has a lower rate than most popular.

Sadly yes, a lot seem to like this.
i see, cant really argue against that. i understand secondary even a third main char but can't get the joy of a reset.

i don't mean to trigger any angry emotions or disrespect any server owners.
as i expressed in my op its disheartening to see the candle slowly dim.

metaphorically speaking now. if i just simply hosted a Dragon/Phoenix 1.4 euro clone. expanding on its content and mob/item database, would anybody be interested or am i alone in this idea?

Reactions: Nyx and kingdomgm

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014

Arcadia - Stalls?

With regards to "reasons to AFK" to make the game more active even when people are offline, its not necessarily a bad thing right?
Or is it wrong to incentivise AFKing when they would otherwise log off?

it makes the server seem more 'bustling' even if its a bunch of bodies just there.

When I used to play Zircon I enjoyed seeing just people there (sad I guess? xD) but just made the server feel more 'alive' i guess

tha4thface2

LOMCN Rookie
Jul 26, 2018
, I don't think anyone would have an interest in it unless each level was rewarding such as spells, items etc- which wasn't the original Mir, it was grinding for no real reason other than to be a higher level them some others,

only when you got to 35+ and there was literally no bosses or items/skills after this point,
i use to enjoy spending a week in bug cave and finally getting that spirit sword and being one of few who had one.
the opposite of that is going bug cave for 2 hours and obtaining an enhanced spirit sword which everyone has.
i understand the time factor in peoples lifes, i personally find the hard way the best. needing at least 2-3 players to beat WT or be exterminated by it.
sometimes it feels like i might as well host a copy of someones server and play with gm mode on.

dazzaboi90

LOMCN Member
Dec 31, 2018
Nottingham
metaphorically speaking now. if i just simply hosted a Dragon/Phoenix 1.4 euro clone. expanding on its content and mob/item database, would anybody be interested or am i alone in this idea?
[/QUOTE]

Wow the server I played was called Phoenix I think .. weirdly after my last post on this thread but I’d definitely be interested in playing and more to what you said earlier about developers getting into one space to create a masterpiece ... I feel it’s all too competitive for developers to try and be the best ... I dunno again just my opinion but hopefully in the future a handful of decent mods with a rotational policy on time spent fixing and adding can make a great server with a sustainable server count

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK

This one line explains all the reasons to why your posts were deleted. Don't bring this attitude back to the mir 3 section or expect more of your posts to be deleted.

The hells masquerade has passed, you may not like him but you must learn to get along nicely or just don't talk to him at all.

When i got acussed of faking usercount on a GSP server you burned me on the rug. But HEY! Hells does that, and all hid the mess under the carpet.

It was not brushed under the carpet. Again read my post before jumping to accusations and QQing.

should i state that TDID when hells launched server in the early days asked to be his coder?

And the relevancy of this is? I've also been ask to / have worked on a number of servers in the pipeline? Care to bring up some more of the past? Maybe Apocalypse too? Maybe I should be overlord of mir 2 too :D

JoeDunn

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Too many people with massive egos to fit and keep happy in a single server. Most want different things. Most people are 25+ with jobs, a family cant keep up with the addicts so look to high/mid rates to fill the gaps. Lack of any advertising outside of lomcn and the facebook group. The fact server owners are still stuck in the early 2000s and have 0 creativity. No new servers coming out with any hype behind it theirs plenty of reasons why the usercount is so spread out and seems low right now.

Well your a ******* hypocrite arnt you. you delete **** you dont like on discord all the time you nonce. why are you even still around? dont you have a server to put up in 2 weeks.... 6 months ago

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Too many people with massive egos to fit and keep happy in a single server. Most want different things. Most people are 25+ with jobs, a family cant keep up with the addicts so look to high/mid rates to fill the gaps. Lack of any advertising outside of lomcn and the facebook group. The fact server owners are still stuck in the early 2000s and have 0 creativity. No new servers coming out with any hype behind it theirs plenty of reasons why the usercount is so spread out and seems low right now.

Well your a ******* hypocrite arnt you. you delete **** you dont like on discord all the time you nonce. why are you even still around? dont you have a server to put up in 2 weeks.... 6 months ago

This is a example of hostile and brainless @TheDayIDie. What i did was just pointing out things. Like i pointed to this monkey now.

The whole point was that peoples with "Great power" tends to get drifted by temptations. Well doesn't matter at all, hope you will do a good job on mir3 section.