Why are Mir Server counts lower than Soma?

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
You need to remember that Soma private server scene is long dead where Mir Is thriving in comparison. Yes islyver and his team have a very successful server currently running with approx 150 users including myself and afk levelers? Where if you add all mir servers in one pot you could probably double/triple that count even with Scorps members alternative afk characters :)

Reactions: Martyn

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND
You need to remember that Soma private server scene is long dead where Mir Is thriving in comparison. Yes islyver and his team have a very successful server currently running with approx 150 users including myself and afk levelers? Where if you add all mir servers in one pot you could probably double/triple that count even with Scorps members alternative afk characters :)

Actually just started a new char on islyver's server myself after all of this talk of Soma. All noobie donations welcomed!

Reactions: Martyn

Deano87

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Feb 18, 2015
only when you got to 35+ and there was literally no bosses or items/skills after this point,
i use to enjoy spending a week in bug cave and finally getting that spirit sword and being one of few who had one.
the opposite of that is going bug cave for 2 hours and obtaining an enhanced spirit sword which everyone has.
i understand the time factor in peoples lifes, i personally find the hard way the best. needing at least 2-3 players to beat WT or be exterminated by it.
sometimes it feels like i might as well host a copy of someones server and play with gm mode on.

The problem being, everyone here has already experienced this 100's of times. After a while it begins to lose that feeling of nostalgia we all got from official. People just want to skip to level 40 get the best gear so they can kill all the bosses. Game Over, Rinse and repeat.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
The problem being, everyone here has already experienced this 100's of times. After a while it begins to lose that feeling of nostalgia we all got from official. People just want to skip to level 40 get the best gear so they can kill all the bosses. Game Over, Rinse and repeat.
You're talking about a clique of people but not all are like that. I know for a fact I am not one of them and I see there are quite a few of those who play like I do. But we are invisible, uninteresting to most server owners. When the top clique calls it game over, bicker over not enough content or favoritism or things like that, the server owner closes the show. TBH you can't meet the needs of both groups or players (it is not that black and white but for the sake of argument), the sharks need a server which is too hard for casuals, inveterate solo players, or just those who enjoy those lower levels below 40 - been quite a few pple who raised all three chars to 40 on their accts, not I but noticed over the years such folks.

Reactions: Wittin and Chriz

holo

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2014
Most of the long time mir players who played the official server are now in their late 20s early 30s. That means they all have lives, jobs, kids, so basically not much free time. But we still love mir, and playing mir to actually complete/be relevant. We can't play a server long term, as after a few weeks the level disparity means we're worthless to any fight. So we do the only thing we can do, jump to any new server that's released, play for a few weeks, and jump ship again. The community has gotten used to this, hence why so many keep opening up, owners make a quick buck from server donations in the first few weeks, then the next once comes along.

I presume at this point it's just how people like it to be. I suggested changing that system in another thread and there was a load of resistance. I guess trying to appeal to everyone would make one server dominate, and it would ruin the chances of new server owners to make a quick buck. /Shurg

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
Mir players generally don't know what they want, they say they want a challenge, low rate server, when that's available they then say it's too slow and/or too hard.

Too many servers have bent to the players demands rather than following their own vision.

And you can never please everyone, someone, somewhere will **** on it.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
it's too slow and/or too hard.

Myself (and I figure others) can put up with slow low rate as long as it is not dull and boring at the same time. I said that before, the lower the rate, the more the server needs to be full featured and have variety of items.

Also it may seem that pple don't know what they want but it is not always the same group of pple who complain, same as in politics. You get pple starting on server who would rather play some higher rate but none is available at the time, so they join lower rate...

holo

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2014
Myself (and I figure others) can put up with slow low rate as long as it is not dull and boring at the same time. I said that before, the lower the rate, the more the server needs to be full featured and have variety of items.

Also it may seem that pple don't know what they want but it is not always the same group of pple who complain, same as in politics. You get pple starting on server who would rather play some higher rate but none is available at the time, so they join lower rate...

A huge amount of the content of mir has always been player interaction. Same with all MMOs really, it's all about the social aspect or players would be playing single player games. All servers will get dull and boring the bigger the level disparity, what's why pretty much every MMO now has level caps, to keep players on an even playing field and increase the number of social interactions.

Honestly, low and high rate servers are exactly the same, the main difference is a low rate strings out it's content far longer. They both end up the same though, the players with unlimited time dominate the server, it gets dull, players quit. It's entirely down to design choices, devs have created disposable servers by their choices.