Why Do you Quit?

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
I think a big thing is trying to stop out of game trading, as it tanks the economy, which in turn makes gold value deplete.
- now it's easier said then done, but would people be put off a server where they heavily enforce a "No Out of Game Transactions" policy?

I think your be fighting a losing battle on that front as you can't 100% police it, but you could do the complete opposite and try at least gain some profit from player to player transactions by allowing it by having some sort of auction/tm option that players can sell items legitimately in game which you could tax.

Just an idea, i my self would never buy an item but others like to and if its from a drop someone gained and people a willing/wanting to spend there cash to buy said item, whats the harm.

Belle

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
May 25, 2019
I think your be fighting a losing battle on that front as you can't 100% police it, but you could do the complete opposite and try at least gain some profit from player to player transactions by allowing it by having some sort of auction/tm option that players can sell items legitimately in game which you could tax.

Just an idea, i my self would never buy an item but others like to and if its from a drop someone gained and people a willing/wanting to spend there cash to buy said item, whats the harm.
On his last server items were super rare, everyone was selling war items to 1 person, 1 of the Arabs hardly anyone else was getting a look in because of it. ****s economy etc etc.
Agreed you can’t 100% police it and will also put the ppl Off that play mir to buy/sell ****.

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
On his last server items were super rare, everyone was selling war items to 1 person, 1 of the Arabs hardly anyone else was getting a look in because of it. ****s economy etc etc.
Agreed you can’t 100% police it and will also put the ppl Off that play mir to buy/sell ****.

If you stop the sellers and buyers u might aswell write off half your UC. But if he’s not making for a profit then why does UC matter?

Reactions: miron96 and Belle

KillsFree

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 4, 2014
EURO server lag!!! PUT THE SERVER IN US !!!
Post automatically merged:

I WANNA PLAY SOEMTHING OTHER THAN TAO FOR A CHANGE!!! I CANT PLAY ANYTHING ELSE WITH 250+ PINGS !!!!

I had to buy WTF to even run!!!

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
So as I am working on a new server I want it to last infinitely longer than my other server (even though it did reach the 1 year mark)
I would like to have a server people can continually play for years.

So I am asking a rather open question, what made/makes you quit servers?

I will be using all feedback to help improve my server so be as brutal and in depth (or as vague) as you like.
I take it, besides putting up a server yourself, surely you have played server too, like anybody else. Did you then yourself quit a server and why?

Introspection might be a guidance for you too.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I take it, besides putting up a server yourself, surely you have played server too, like anybody else. Did you then yourself quit a server and why?

Introspection might be a guidance for you too.
Already took my ideas into account as a filthly casual player hahhaa

With regards to item selling out of game it seems like a really one sided thing of dont go hard on it.

Quite interesting feedback (and a little suprising) but I wouldn't want to alienate a portion if the player base.
There are potential features being added which will naturally mitigate this (as some things will be a lot more accessible then in TPR)

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
Mir is a dick length contest...

(cough)

Grinding is WAY too much fun and more importantly beneficial, you gain xp, items (+item adds) + gold, the more of those 3 you gain the more impactful you are, also leads to Wizards annoying everyone. Mir also has a plethora of subs and bosses to take care of at all times or not so much depending on how late game you are what items matter and how op are they.

Subtract the gains, save the game!

Level caps do not destroy games, they only destroy games when there hardly anything to fight for or lack of competition, it brings many more people involved, almost eliminates the gap between man and (no life)beast and brings more value to items and player skill as well as sub boss and boss contention (which is usually voided by over grinders). If you place a good item drop list on many subs/bosses and lvl 7 mobs/subs/bosses then there will be no end to the thrill of going for stuff, also if you make bosses competitive by making only the higher lvl and harder ones drop "that something worthwhile" then that involves the entire server instead of **** getting out of hand where only the man beasts keep gaining.

Teamwork/Drama/Item Rng/higher lvls/play more = more benes - dick contest
Teamwork/Drama/Item RnG - runs itself

Good items, meaningful adds, much less reward from lvl 1 mobs, good PvP (consider arena+rewards and meaningful castle takes), lvl 5+ mob/subs/bosses exploration, polished and improved skills / class roles and finally....

Economy
, I would just have mines be about weapon improvements + other interesting item/gem makes, maybe an interesting approach is that gold only comes from quests and exploration/mob exploration with every town generating missions/requests to be completed. I also like the idea of having your favourite town to port to and collecting loyalty, which gives you access to a free port, passives (specifically for area and a special town one for all areas) and a loyalty point shop after a rather insane amount of commitment (cosmetic/very unique add item).

We got to stop pandering to the try hards who end up demorilising everyone and themselves, don't make it low rate, maximise the fun and competition.

Last edited:

Dano

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 18, 2006
Wales
I stopped playing a long time ago. but the reasons were pretty much the same as other players.

- Lack of updates / events
- lack of community spirit. so where as everyone used to play together it was fin and exciting but eventually that seemed to dwindle.
- Low user counts.
- Bad quest lines. you spend days or even weeks on a big quest to find out it cant been completed / missing npcs or items.
- loss of interest from the server team as soon as they get bored and loose the passion the players get bored.
- untested servers!!! That was my biggest annoyance. servers going up without any major testing, bugs everywhere, drops are messd up and way unbalaned for different heroes.

- Oh and life gets in the way!

Maybe my thoughts will fall on deaf ears as i haven't been active in a long time and im sure many people wont know me and even the old folk may not remember me, but there are some of the reasons listed as to why i among many stopped playing, maybe your next question could be 'what would make you want to start playing again?'

Anyway all the best.

Dan

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
don't make it low rate, maximise the fun and competition
That best describes the server I play right now. HR and fun. I find that regardless how easy or hard you set the exp getting, it is OK either way, as long as you then don't make it more easy by some 'exp events' and such likes (or harder for that matter, like not touching exp but making mobs harder after other have already profited from them being easier...).
It miffs me doubly, once because it pressures me to log on at times that may be not of my choosing (else you lose out on it) and second time because it devalues the effort I put in getting it from standard mobs.
Any game goes to dogs if you change its basic rules when it is underway (and exp is such a rule)..

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
Let's look at what makes any mmo fun for most people commited to the mmo genre:

1) getting ahead
2) getting ahead
3) banding with "get ahead" team mates...in the pursuit of getting ahead
4) late game fantasy (pvp, competition, gameplay and verbal spats)
5) Standing out, via skill/items/leadership and good/evil deeds

^ the first 3 have extremely limited value on 4 and 5 once both of those have essentially started, then the first 3 only then really serve as huge road blocks for new players and people who've had their time limited. The only postives to be gained from those 3 are that late game/commited players never get hassled by less commited/casuals players and, more importantly, alt accounts and alt practices have little effect on the economy (still depedant on the game ofc but in Mir's case it's true).

If you can almost eliminate the first 3 and keep intact 4 and 5, you're onto a winner, with any MMO.

Reactions: holo

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Just quit a server I was playing and the reason is it crashed last night and today I found there is something like a week's rewind.

It falls into the category of reasons for quitting I wrote above here, basically devalued effort. Chalk up a substantial rewind as one reason for quitting.

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
With a level cap in place how do people fare with not being able to dash/repulse in PVP?

Well imo I would of changed the mechanic of dash/repulse a long time ago as I don't feel it's competitive.

I would make it an RnG fest + I would buff the 'Strong' Add to increase chances of success and increase the chances of negating others attempts.

If Wizzies complain and/or want to be the "true display of skill", they can E-shock themselves with a 50% chance of giving themselves 'Electric Pulse' buff which gives them a 100% chance repulse.

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Just quit a server I was playing and the reason is it crashed last night and today I found there is something like a week's rewind.

It falls into the category of reasons for quitting I wrote above here, basically devalued effort. Chalk up a substantial rewind as one reason for quitting.
A weeks rewind đŸ˜±

Reverance

Final Heaven
Supporter
Veteran
May 25, 2013
Scotland
With a level cap in place how do people fare with not being able to dash/repulse in PVP?

It has always been a tough one.

I know some resorted to % which adds up to the same problem when they hit the next level (Without actually leveling up).

You could resort to class weights to determine success but then you add the problem of Warriors at max level with same gear never being able to SD each other.

It could be that you go with a versus AC/AMC (SD/Repulse) and treat it as an "Attack" with a percentage based on the "damage" it does versus defense.

Or as @WelshSteel said - Make it an RNG fest.