work changing pay date

JoeDunn

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
i know a few of u on here are good with stuff like this so let me explain a little.

i have worked at the same place for over 6 years now as a bench joiner/ wood machinist, they close the factory for 2 weeks over xmass meaning we have to take 2 weeks holiday from are own days. ever since i have been there we have been paid on the last working day

this is my 7th xmass there and every one before that we have been paid the on the last day we worked for December. which falls on the day of are works party every year. but this year they wont paying us till xmass eve. luckly i asked my supervisor today to go make sure were getting paid this friday as normal. he came back out and told us at 4PM. we wont be paid to the 24th.

we have had no notice of this even the assistant manger had no idea this was happening, are the actual aloud to do this or not ??

Robert

Actual Jesus
VIP
Jan 1, 1970
Yes.
Yeah it is legitimate...if they are paying you early for Christmas and running payroll then they can govern that date - most companies will pay Christmas eve if there is no pay roll when they normally pay.

^G0trex

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 7, 2003
Bham
Yeah it is legitimate...if they are paying you early for Christmas and running payroll then they can govern that date - most companies will pay Christmas eve if there is no pay roll when they normally pay.

^^^ This. My place is doing the same, but they notified us for a change.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
There's nothing really set in stone when they have to pay you unless you have a contract of employment and something is specifically stated on that or if you have some prior agreement that you've made. The same could possibly apply to the time off they're making you take.
I would say its common courtesy to tell staff of something like this especially if its a small, family business.

JoeDunn

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Little update.

We have are end of year meeting tomoz but we all asked if the managing director could come down for 5 mins to tell us why and explain. His response was "I dont have time to be ****ing around with you lot". then spent the next 2 hours giving office staff hampers with over 150 quids worth of **** in it. take it to account theres around 30 office staff and only 16 lads in the factory.

not that bothered about not having the cash till a few days later but this is the second time they ****ed us about and not told us there stopping things/changing things. They set up a pension plan with us all before they had to by law promising to pay in to it as well. 9 months goes by and we find out they only paid in the first 2 months and then they dropped out not letting any one know lol.

Cant wait for the meeting tomoz lol all hell is gonna break loose as they known we was not getting paid on friday for the last 2 months.....

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Little update.

We have are end of year meeting tomoz but we all asked if the managing director could come down for 5 mins to tell us why and explain. His response was "I dont have time to be ****ing around with you lot". then spent the next 2 hours giving office staff hampers with over 150 quids worth of **** in it. take it to account theres around 30 office staff and only 16 lads in the factory.

not that bothered about not having the cash till a few days later but this is the second time they ****ed us about and not told us there stopping things/changing things. They set up a pension plan with us all before they had to by law promising to pay in to it as well. 9 months goes by and we find out they only paid in the first 2 months and then they dropped out not letting any one know lol.

Cant wait for the meeting tomoz lol all hell is gonna break loose as they known we was not getting paid on friday for the last 2 months.....

Our xmas party was cancelled and replaced by a "hamper" worth £18.

Robert

Actual Jesus
VIP
Jan 1, 1970
Yes.
These things happen, ours costs circa £40-50k a year and it has been cancelled for the last couple due to the recession etc.

We wanted one this year but felt it disrespectful to have one due to the people that had been made redundant etc.

We had a 'Winter Ball' instead. Boom, Thatchers Britain.

JoeDunn

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
wow that sucks hard guys :(. its got nothing to do with cash flow as we have been busier than we ever have this year since i have been there. wow 40-50k that must be a big company. well that or ur bosses are sniffing some good stuff lol

Robert

Actual Jesus
VIP
Jan 1, 1970
Yes.
Lol its fairly big but they pay for EVERYONE to have a hotel room.

Promotes Christmas work based affairs don't ya know.

^G0trex

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 7, 2003
Bham
I work for a large manufacturing company and you wouldn't even know its Christmas in there!

Just be thankful y'all actually have jobs!

P.S. JJ you don't even deserve the hamper.

JoeDunn

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
so ye the meeting was fun today..... asked the managing director why have we not been told about when were getting paid, his face was of pure rage. turned to the floor manager and went ape **** at him. asking him why hes not told us after he knew about it 4 MONTHS ago. he subed us all 100 quid for the weekend. not to bad a result really lol :)