Release Xiyue MapEditor - Akaras' mod updated by M2P

smoochy boys on tour

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Moved back several menu buttons that Akaras removed from the editor interface and placed in the classic windows drop down menus. That menu strip is now hidden to gain back the vertical space it took up.

Having the buttons back, directly visible and clickable makes for a more friendly looking editor, even if after a short time working with maps, probably everybody will end up using shortcut keys. Still I find when mulling over the map and holding cup of coffee in one hand, it is nice to have some essential controls accessible via buttons.

1627254238629.png

Added the rest of the (still) missing shortcut keys - all shortcuts are visible in tooltips when you mouseover menu buttons, also added them to View and Editor Layer drop down menus where they have been missing.

1627254304337.png ------- 1627254346782.png

Made a new tab 'Help (H)' that displays shortcut keys list with some additional comments that wouldn't fit into tooltips. For now it is just a background picture, hope it will be all visible on pple's screens (probably nobody uses that small monitors nowadays or running at too low resolutions).

1633325576958.png

Moved the tab 'Map' to the first position on the tab menu to make the editor open on it directly upon program launching. Also the editor now launches maximized and 'new map' (N) is now 200x200 tiles.

Original default 50x50 tiles was too small if you made a new map just to place some objects on it for subsequent saving into objects again after making some alteration. I found bigger objects when placed near the bottom or right side of screen view would fail to be placed due to extending past the map boundary.

The editor now loads all 26 WemadeMir2 libraries and in ShandaMir2 section, there is now space for 79 Object libraries (the ten spaces reserved for AniTiles1 library had been reduced to a single one).

1633324861103.png

==========================================

The download link is updated to latest release, details of this release are posted bellow on page 5, post #89

M2P

Release #4 Amended - Crystal Mir2 Map Editor Binary v1.4 [2022_07_03] [MediaFire link]

[This second download includes the program supporting dlls for new Map Editor users.]
Release #4 Amended - Crystal Mir2 Map Editor Binary v.1.4 ! Includes Supporting 'dll' Libs ! [2022_07_03] [MediaFire link]

If you didn't use Map Editor previously, you need to download from this second link. Besides the 'exe' files it also includes the supporting files that the program needs to run.

And if you need those supporting files, you might also need further info what else the editor needs to be able to edit maps.

Place the program with its supporting files in the top of mir2 client directory (where Client.exe is). It needs to load tiles from libraries located in
Data\Map\WemadeMir2\Object.Lib (and Shanda libs etc)
Also after it runs first time, it creates Objects folder in Data\ to store saved Object.X files.

If you run the editor outside mir2 client, on the first run it will create Data\Objects directory structure.
To this Data directory you need to add Map folder (next to Object folder) that contains Wemade and Shanda libraries (make a copy of Map folder found in CrystalMir2Client\Data\'Map').
Don't confuse this Map folder with that one in the Mir client top folder structure which has the same name and contains the actual maps (*.map files).

There are maps around here that need other libraries which are not included in the default Crystal Mir2 client and in that case loading such map in the editor will give you blank white space where the map is supposed to display. If you know where to get the additional library, place it with ShandaMir2 libraries since this directory is coded to accept up to 79 Object.Lib libraries total, so that is 49 extra libraries over the default 30 supplied with the Crystal client.

For the actual Map Editor operation, you can use shortcut H to open Help tab where all shortcut keys are listed. Many commands are also accessible from mouse right click on the map which opens context menu.

Last edited:

Fusion

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Ireland
I cant seem to edit Mir 3 maps, i know its Mir 2 editor but just wanted to make sure im not doing anything wrong before i give up on the map i want to edit?

• Wow
Reactions: zedina

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I cant seem to edit Mir 3 maps, i know its Mir 2 editor but just wanted to make sure im not doing anything wrong before i give up on the map i want to edit?
Crystal editor supports all map formats, providing you're using the crystal client.

If you're trying to open using a mir3 client then obviously that won't work.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Map editor requires only the file/folder structure included in the download. Besides the Dx libraries and the config supporting files, it needs Data folder with Objects & Map folders inside it. Map folder needs to have Tile/Object libraries in it.

If started without those folders, it will automatically create Data/Objects folders. You only need to put Map folder in Data (with the Wemade & Shanda libraries inside it).

Doesn't need to run in Crystal client, except that the client is the place where those three folders (Data/Objects&Map with its libraries) are already in place.

One pitfall if you try to be too smart and include in the Map folder only the libraries you 'think' you need for the map at hand (like only ShandaMir2 libraries) is that Front Tags, for example, are taken from WemadeMir2 Object library (probably even for Mir3 maps, not just ShandaMir2's). Showing Front Tags in this case results in black map viewing pane and the editor needs to be restarted.

Also Tiles will fail to generate under tab Tiles if you have only the Tile libs that the map is supposedly using (determined by opening the map in MapTileSet program), go figure. I wanted to include one small map with the editor download, would make it 300MB download and you could run the editor through its paces without moving any files but ran against these problems (likely there are more such pitfalls trying to run with limited libraries only)

Useful tip - drop the map you are working on in the Objects folder (if you will be saving/placing any Objects.X when working on the map). Alternatively you can edit maps directly in their Map folder (or wherever) but unless you also save Object.X files in there (among many other maps), you will run into a rigmarole of switching between saving/opening paths.
Post automatically merged:

I edited the download link in the top post, now the download also includes a 'NoMenu' map editor 'pro' edition.

This 'pro' version is a binary file only since it is a simple source alteration, just made the button menu 'invisible' and moved the tab menu on the left, making it vertical. Anybody with minimal skills could produce it from the provided source file.

I would also have made this tab menu invisible or hide it but somehow it is an integral part of the map viewing pane or something along those lines and those methods do not work. But being on side it frees the most precious vertical space, horizontal space is not a problem when working with maps, so.

Only time you would need to open a map in the editor with the button menu visible is if you would want to add animation, light & door tags. I might provide shortcuts for those too but this is something that comes up not that much in map editing.

Apart from this inclusion of the NoMenu version of the map editor, I have slightly edited the Help file (added couple tab spaces on two lines to make it look more neat and also included a 'Nfo.txt'

1627358109076.png

With this NoMenu version I might re-do some of the pictures of maps I uploaded a week or so ago (Jev's database map pack sorted out) that were cut off at top and bottom due to the lack of vertical space and too rough zoom.

Last edited:

TheOnlyOne

DarkReturn Server High Rate
Loyal Member
Dark Return
Game Master
Oct 6, 2017
Jordan
thanks for Release
but when i click the link and it take me to mideafire website and try download it it give me .rar.OLD then after it finsh download the anti virus get it as virus dunno why this all

111.jpg Untitled.png

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Doesn't need to run in Crystal client, except that the client is the place where those three folders (Data/Objects&Map with its libraries) are already in place.

When i say "Crystal Client" yes i only mean the main data files that the map needs to open.

I expect Fusion isn't using the crystal client though, and likely is trying it for Zircon.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
When i say "Crystal Client" yes i only mean the main data files that the map needs to open.

I expect Fusion isn't using the crystal client though, and likely is trying it for Zircon.
I think he is trying to say that he attempts to edit a mir3 map with mir2 tiles and objects.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I think he is trying to say that he attempts to edit a mir3 map with mir2 tiles and objects.

The crystal client comes with mir3 tiles and objects so would open fine. However soon as he saves the map it will no longer work on any other client outside of crystal.

Fusion

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Ireland
Crystal editor supports all map formats, providing you're using the crystal client.

If you're trying to open using a mir3 client then obviously that won't work.
I have the maps that was in the last post about editor alot of ramdom maps but one map i wanted was banya island, so i can delete the backgroup but what i want is to remove all the buildings in the village, please see screen im pretty sure i have everything clicked as i can click on the shade and it removes the front object. but for mir 3 maps(banya Island) it does not work. any ideas?

I can place objects on mir 3 map but i cant remove current objects on the map thats already on map see screen buildings etc.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 60

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
mir3 maps have things on different layers to mir2. the houses will be on either back or middle - so you'll have to select those i expect. Might mean you'll need to redraw the layers once you've deleted the buildings.

Fusion

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Ireland
mir3 maps have things on different layers to mir2. the houses will be on either back or middle - so you'll have to select those i expect. Might mean you'll need to redraw the layers once you've deleted the buildings.
Yes its Mid, Thanks for quick reply :)

• Carrot
Reactions: zedina

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
@Far - I misinterpreted your comment then.

What makes a map a Mir3 map (as far as layers go) is that it builds all objects primarily on mid layer and only use the front layer where tags would collide.

Mir2 maps do it exactly in reverse, front layer is where everything is with only some ground elements like mud path and grass patches are on mid layer (and that's only because they were laid down by brushing SMTiles which automatically places them on that layer).

Unfortunately there is no selection for separate layers 'yet' so deleting those buildings would be a clicking chore (doubt I could implement that but I will try or maybe Akaras will be willing to look at it) . iJam's editor version has brush eraser that would do the job much better since it limits the erasing to a given layer. Not really a brush since it erases preset 11x11 tile area in a mouse click but that still beats erasing tile by tile for sure. Wonder if the source code for that editor could be shared out?

Last edited:

iJam

To the rhythm
VIP
Oct 8, 2007
London
@Far iJam's editor version has brush eraser that would do the job much better. Not really a brush since it does erase preset 11x11 tile area in a mouse click but that still beats erasing tile by tile for sure. Wonder if the source code for that editor could be shared out?

Think you held ctrl to brush. I no longer have that editor or source, it was never a project just small changes.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Think you held ctrl to brush. I no longer have that editor or source, it was never a project just small changes.
Holding Ctrl only works for brushing tiles as in the original Xiyue editor. Eraser and those Limit buttons with brushes added in this editor only do 11x11 tile area at a single click when you select Brush in those menus.

That's a bummer regarding the source, I think even with my non existing coding abilities I could loot that source to port those changes to Akaras' version. Maybe keep it in mind if you should stumble on it or speak to to those other ones who worked on it, AwadHero or SmavidDavid

1627431989710.png

Limiting operations to individual layers is a great feature, Akaras mentioned doing that couple years ago but then he did other things with the editor and it didn't happen. But to make it really great, it should be an option in the mouse click context menu when you make a selection. That way you could make it any size but more important is that with that fixed 11x11 rectangle it is not quite easy to aim in tight places and the operation is not undoable.

Placing limits in bulk can be done in Akaras' editor version by making several sizes of limit and save it as object.x and then place those on map.
Deleting them via selection is not so good since that makes a hole in the map through all layers :oops: which greatly limits its use to put it mildly.

BTW I got rid of the Clear Map function (Akaras placed it in drop down menu to hide it from an accidental click) since you can just press N for New map, almost as easy and incomparably less dangerous.

Last edited:

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Seen some of your maps and they are mind blowing!
Brushes are annoying to match/blend with others.
Same here, Brushing tiles to blend several kinds is at the top of skills of map editor mastering. I think the trick is to make one kind of brush selection cover the whole map (dominant over the land mass) and then use the next brush kind to make area(s) within that and still another to make area(s) within those areas...

I find making a notes list of tiles for brushing is very much needed since going back to Tiles tab to pick the next matching blend is mind bending. Much easier to have a premade list with blend numbers for a given library. Make experimental map with blend lines and make notes of their blend number in Tiles tab.

An example for ShandaMir2 library section, Tiles3 library: SM2_T3 DarkGrass#5, LightGrass#6, DarkSand#9, MidDarkSand#8, LightSand#7

Example of five brushes blend from a Shanda map.
1627491905654.png

But there is a very strong temptation to start somewhere and when you complete a circle, you can't make it join if that makes sense (and fixing it tile by tile is a pain). That temptation is so strong that I didn't try the above method yet, partly because it seems you need to be quite clear how the whole map will look and I tend to go as fancy strikes me LOL.

Last edited:

iJam

To the rhythm
VIP
Oct 8, 2007
London
love to see it. Can be a pain if you want to edit it again once its done.

35b4f10a42dc7f7847da50825f3eef05.jpg

That temptation is so strong that I didn't try the above method yet, partly because it seems you need to be quite clear how the whole map will look and I tend to go as fancy strikes me LOL.

Always start with a plan, Mine always start with ms paint just to picture the general shape.

• Love
Reactions: zedina and mir2pion

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
thanks for Release
but when i click the link and it take me to mideafire website and try download it it give me .rar.OLD then after it finsh download the anti virus get it as virus dunno why this all

View attachment 25928 View attachment 25929
Only seen your post now. I refreshed the download link again and it should work now.

After I made the NoMenu version, I uploaded it to MF under the same rar name (it now contains editor binary, with menu and without, and not to have a name collision, I added .OLD to the rar already there.

I should have deleted that orig file and tested the download. I redid the link above but for some reason it still let you download that *.rar.OLD version (I figured renaming the file on MF upload site would break the download link even if I left that original file there).

I have redone the link again right now and tested it and it works, that is, it downloads the right file - there is second 'NoMenu' binary version added there.

As to the virus, I wonder if that's because of .OLD 'extension' or maybe it checks even inside the rar? Did that get flagged if you got it with that *.rar extension only?

Anyway, it is completely clean as it has been for years. You may need to make an exception for it in your virus program. The only program that 'touched' these files (Akaras' editor version from August 2019) is the VS2019 that I downloaded direct from Microsoft.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOnlyOne