Request Looking for a team

smoochy boys on tour

Apple & Beach

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 29, 2006
Dear Mirites,

I open this thread and this write post with great excitement, for the majority of Mirites, this post will be a great one…. For others, I apologise in advance.

I have been a member of this forum since 2006( forgot my password, lol) and I have fond memories of the adventure and feelings I used to get playing Mir. I guess this is what brings me still to this forum at this day…like the rest of you, I would assume.

Saying this, who I am and why I visit this forum is irrelevant to what I want to achieve for the community. I’m going to build a server for you all. A server that will last approx 3 years and will be made as quick as possible with quality and content being the basis of build.

I want to give back to this community and eradicate the leeches that do not have sustainability in mind. I will allow donations without compromising the game that will entirely be reinvested back into the server to pay GM’s and developers.

I have no financial incentive whatsoever. I have played the legend of life(lol) well and I am well positioned to invest in the best team to build this server for you. Why? Because I can.

Now I need your help…

In the comments below, please identify to me trusted Mirites with an executive summary of who they are and what they’ve done for Mir(trusted fellows, it’s imperative ).

Stage 1.

Assemble Team.

A

• Carrot
Reactions: 7V e i k o

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
Find any person with a VIP or Developer title, there’s your (trusted) members. Or just look at old servers and who ran them.

This isn’t really a server advertisement so I’ve moved it elsewhere. Once you have an actual advert please do create a new post in the Mir 2 Server Advertisements.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
You probably want to get your original account restored, and atleast state what your previous account name is.

If you've been a member of the community since 2006 you should know who everyone is already.

Apple & Beach

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 29, 2006
Find any person with a VIP or Developer title, there’s your (trusted) members. Or just look at old servers and who ran them.

This isn’t really a server advertisement so I’ve moved it elsewhere. Once you have an actual advert please do create a new post in the Mir 2 Server Advertisements.
Hi Jev, thanks for the tip. I will reach out to these people and do some home work. Apologies and thanks, I wasn’t sure where to position the thread.
A

You probably want to get your original account restored, and atleast state what your previous account name is.

If you've been a member of the community since 2006 you should know who everyone is already.
Hi Far, I have tried and failed. The old account’s email is also long gone and forgotten. I used account name Apple & Beach.

Generally you would be correct but unfortunately the account and my membership was mainly used to server watch and not really to keep up with Lomcn lore and member activity… which is why this thread has been created as I am at a slight disadvantage in understanding who is who and who is best at what…
A

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Hi Far, I have tried and failed. The old account’s email is also long gone and forgotten. I used account name Apple & Beach.

Generally you would be correct but unfortunately the account and my membership was mainly used to server watch and not really to keep up with Lomcn lore and member activity… which is why this thread has been created as I am at a slight disadvantage in understanding who is who and who is best at what…
A
open a thread in the "private" section here https://www.lomcn.net/forum/forums/private-questions-complaints.283/

The email on the apple & beach is a @rock.com post what ones you think it might be, I can help get it back.

Reactions: Pusha and Valhalla

nigelfarage

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 2, 2017
In the comments below, please identify to me trusted Mirites with an executive summary of who they are and what they’ve done for Mir(trusted fellows, it’s imperative ).

Personally I'd suggest Jamie, he's made my favourite servers Marble & Sapphire, I like them because of their quality of life features and unique spell changes, and he's a trustworthy person in regards to server donations/payments.

Reactions: 7V e i k o

Apple & Beach

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 29, 2006
Personally I'd suggest Jamie, he's made my favourite servers Marble & Sapphire, I like them because of their quality of life features and unique spell changes, and he's a trustworthy person in regards to server donations/payments.
Thanks sir, is Jamie still active? I do remember him and the work he did on Zircon.
A
Post automatically merged:

open a thread in the "private" section here https://www.lomcn.net/forum/forums/private-questions-complaints.283/

The email on the apple & beach is a @rock.com post what ones you think it might be, I can help get it back.
Thanks for reaching out Martyn. The email is long forgotten as with many things I did as a teen xD.

I do although remember my previous passwords , if that helps? Otherwise I’m totally okay to operate under this user.

A

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Thanks sir, is Jamie still active? I do remember him and the work he did on Zircon.
A
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for reaching out Martyn. The email is long forgotten as with many things I did as a teen xD.

I do although remember my previous passwords , if that helps? Otherwise I’m totally okay to operate under this user.

A
Have you tried logging in on it? adding ! or something? make a post in the private section, I'm sure we can help you :)

Apple & Beach

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 29, 2006
Just someone in a fortunate position to give the players of this forum what they want.

I will be initiating research and contact this week on certain fellows of this forum that I feel fit to take on this project with me. I shall update you all this Sunday on progress made with my engagements.

Once I have assembled a team who is competent, principle questions will be asked to a poll that will determine the overall direction of the server. e.g mir2 or mir3, low or med, 3 classes or 5. The goal is to create a server ecosystem that is to a degree built with the players in mind and driven by ideas that work for all by the players.

I can ensure that once I have finalised the salaries/pay with the future team, the server will move to completion at the fastest rate possible.

A

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
All sounds very exciting!

Good luck with the team and the project, looking forward to seeing more.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
IMHO you can't simply 'buy' a good team and have yourself a successful server for 3 years.

There aren't many servers that last any more than 6-12 months, and that hasn't been due to a lack of funding. Artificial has proven that it can be done, as they had the right approach from the beginning - but replicating that success won't be easy.

There are many factors involved as to why this is:

Community expectations
Communtity attitudes toward GMs
Attention spans
Discord culture
'Pump n dump' culture
Paypal chargebacks
DDoS attacks
Cheats and exploits
Corrupt GMs

I'm sure there are some people here who would take you up on your offer of a salary to run a mir server - but it's not a real contractual job. What happens when a key member gets their wife up the duff or gets hooked on the latest MMO or whatever other thing takes precedence in their life and can no longer commit the time necessary?

Will they work well together? How can you trust that they won't f**k it up? These are all the reasons why we haven't done an 'official' LOMCN server.

Apple & Beach

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 29, 2006
IMHO you can't simply 'buy' a good team and have yourself a successful server for 3 years.

There aren't many servers that last any more than 6-12 months, and that hasn't been due to a lack of funding. Artificial has proven that it can be done, as they had the right approach from the beginning - but replicating that success won't be easy.

There are many factors involved as to why this is:

Community expectations
Communtity attitudes toward GMs
Attention spans
Discord culture
'Pump n dump' culture
Paypal chargebacks
DDoS attacks
Cheats and exploits
Corrupt GMs

I'm sure there are some people here who would take you up on your offer of a salary to run a mir server - but it's not a real contractual job. What happens when a key member gets their wife up the duff or gets hooked on the latest MMO or whatever other thing takes precedence in their life and can no longer commit the time necessary?

Will they work well together? How can you trust that they won't f**k it up? These are all the reasons why we haven't done an 'official' LOMCN server.
Hi Tai, I appreciate your input and realism - it does help with planning. The primary purpose of this thread is to encourage this type of discussion to understand the risk that this project will be exposed too from fellows of this forum.

Out of the nine factors you have mentioned as pitfalls, none are a threat to my plans. They each have individual preventative measures that can be applied. I will of course need to understand the technicalities and audit trails available to me to ensure compliance to ethical behaviour and best practices so they don't F**K it up as you mentioned. Lets just say... I have a unique skill set that allows me to mobilize, execute and deliver.

"IMHO you can't simply 'buy' a good team and have yourself a successful server for 3 years."

game of thrones facepalm GIF

LOL....

A

Apple & Beach

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 29, 2006
From what I've seen, the more you look into making the perfect server to last years the quicker it dies.

Good luck though.
Thanks for your input Alecs. In this context, perfect is relative thus it's a flawed design path which I do not intend to follow.

What I am looking for is sustainability and maximum interaction with the servers assets with a spice of PKING and PVP here and there for that added human value. I am privy to that fact that Mir players are always seeking the next thing - I see this project as a creating perfectly placed 'next things' for the next three years.

Let's be brutally honest. We have an old game, but its FULL of opportunities which have not been exploited yet in good faith for the players(people have tried, good on them). Servers are being delivered time and time again at sub-standard creative outputs with have-a-go server makers to which the majority of them picked up the Mir Guides a few years ago to make an extra pound or dollar, becuase they saw Joe Blogs make some money and with their limited IQ levels thought its a license to print pennies. When profit enters the chat Alecs, the first person to leave is quality.

Now i'm not trying to be Mir Jesus, your saviour here. I am simply highlighting what most of you all already know and working with me would in my opinion consolidate most of the Mir player-base and provide MAXIMUM interaction in a unified, built-to-last server that has no incentive to make profit as its being sponsored by yours truly. Under this formula, the only way this ends up as a standstill project is IF there is no desire for it to happen in the first place...Is that the case LOMCN? you tell me.

Tell me more Alecs, why these server's die ? where is the lack.

A

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Thanks for your input Alecs. In this context, perfect is relative thus it's a flawed design path which I do not intend to follow.

What I am looking for is sustainability and maximum interaction with the servers assets with a spice of PKING and PVP here and there for that added human value. I am privy to that fact that Mir players are always seeking the next thing - I see this project as a creating perfectly placed 'next things' for the next three years.

Let's be brutally honest. We have an old game, but its FULL of opportunities which have not been exploited yet in good faith for the players(people have tried, good on them). Servers are being delivered time and time again at sub-standard creative outputs with have-a-go server makers to which the majority of them picked up the Mir Guides a few years ago to make an extra pound or dollar, becuase they saw Joe Blogs make some money and with their limited IQ levels thought its a license to print pennies. When profit enters the chat Alecs, the first person to leave is quality.

Now i'm not trying to be Mir Jesus, your saviour here. I am simply highlighting what most of you all already know and working with me would in my opinion consolidate most of the Mir player-base and provide MAXIMUM interaction in a unified, built-to-last server that has no incentive to make profit as its being sponsored by yours truly. Under this formula, the only way this ends up as a standstill project is IF there is no desire for it to happen in the first place...Is that the case LOMCN? you tell me.

Tell me more Alecs, why these server's die ? where is the lack.

A

Unless you manage to make a decent community around your server (and you won't), it'll die quickly. There are not enough of us around. Several servers already have their own communities only because they've been online for decades, many of them don't even read this forum. They don't care that much about mir other than the server they belong to. And even if they play your server, they'll leave after a while.

I kind of agree with you comment about cash grab servers, I used to go hard against them when I was a mod but there are also servers that make a lot of money offering a solid experience. Developer hours cost a lot of money and even more important than that...people actually want to pay. Like it or not, people around here are not 15 anymore, they have money but no time so throwing money at stuff is just easier. How do you fight that? You can't.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Tai made a good list of reasons servers die.

My suggestion? If you want to make a server don't make it with a lifespan in mind. Try to deliver the best experience and time will tell, but accept beforehand and it may last only a couple months.

Reactions: Tai

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Lets just say... I have a unique skill set that allows me to mobilize, execute and deliver.

"IMHO you can't simply 'buy' a good team and have yourself a successful server for 3 years."

game of thrones facepalm GIF

LOL....

A

I see your Boromir and raise you...

1713204531232.jpeg

Like it or not, people around here are not 15 anymore, they have money but no time so throwing money at stuff is just easier. How do you fight that? You can't.
This is real. Who's got the time?

But also be aware that in exchange for spending money in your gameshop for exp pots they expect an unrealistic level of service in return. Your 2 man band is now treated like a legitimate company - because money - and if you disappoint your consumers they'll throw molotovs through your window and burn it to the ground.

Anyway I think @OxxpqxxO was also looking to form a team recently, maybe he can weigh in here?

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
It's not always the server or the team behind it that's the problem.
It's the players.

They easily get bored (no matter how much content), annoyed when they get out fought, out kitted, drop/break/lose kit.
Not only that, they burn themselves out. Once they've quit they never come back. Odd few will trickle back but that's it.

Plus, you can't just come here under a new name and expect the very best to come flocking at your beckon call.
What have you done so far? Have you started building this perfect server and need some help/assistance or are you just going to throw ideas at people and expect them to do the work?

I'll be honest, this isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: IHaveALongName