Other 1.4 locahost private server (lag?)

Nufan1121

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 1, 2012
Hey people, finally got my own private server with the original blank 1.4 files working! Hurrah! =]

Anyway, all was fine (other than disappearing NPC's but im confident i can fix that with some searches) So i decided to go and fight some woomas for nostalgia purposes. They weren't spawning... so i changed the Mongen? txt file and low and behold they spawned =] But now i am lagging? Im running the server off of my laptop over LAN via Hamachi and it lags on both the laptop HOSTING the files and my partners laptop just running the client... Im eventually going to be hosting the files on my super-awesome 16GB RAM i7 desktop at home, still only over LAN but im not sure what is causing the lag?

Im guessing it was the monster spawning as it all went downhill from that time onward.. im not sure whether its the RAM (4GB) that's not handling it as it shouldn't be the network (even if it was its 7mb download, 1mb upload, 30ms ping) so to put it bluntly im confused.

I remember mir lag being strange full stop when i experienced it on euro mir, like hit, stop for 5 seconds still, then hit again? It's a very jerky lag and its just confusing me. If it WAS the the monster spawning causing it then i am guessing its the processing power or RAM having trouble handling the data but my cpu monitor reads only 2gb ram used in total and 50% cpu power so that should be more than enough left over for the server to spawn mobs laglessly..

Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated/fix solutions. As i said im going to be hosting the files for local/lan play on my desktop eventually but i would enjoy a lag-less experience for playing the game tonight until i eventually get back home to do that.

Thanks in advance - Nufan1121

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Mobs spawning and shops being populated all cause lag but it should only be for short periods of time.
Use a blank mongen.txt and see if you can run around lag free.

Upvote 0

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
NPC flashing usually caused by lag.

Internet connection should not cause lag when been hosted on local host.

4gb ram should be enough, what processor do you have? Do you have much else running on the PC that is using a lot of RAM/Processor power?

1.4 is really old, any reason why you are using them?

Upvote 0

Nufan1121

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 1, 2012
Thanks for your replies. The reason i am so hell bent on using 1.4 is so i can review the very first release of Mir like i played it back in the day. Obviously i wouldn't be aposed to downloading updates and patches to fix my current problems such as items with no image, NPC's with no names/flashing... and if that requires going to 1.5/1.9 then so be it. I never needed to back when i used to run servers though, the most i think we did back then was add new items to the game, and add korean monsters when they were first released.

To answer your question the processor on this laptop is a core duo 2.4ghz, and i too am also confused by the localhost lag with that processing power and RAM. I was running the server files at the same time on the laptop i was attempting to play which is why i decided to try a LAN host over hamachi off of my partners I3 2.5ghz 4gb RAM and the after a through problems with gates and character selection being sorted found that it continued to have that weird lag, nothing else was running on the server laptop.

I will attempt a host on my more powerfull desktop in a few hours and report back with results, as well as trying the blank mongen also.

Thanks again, - Nufan1121

---------- Post Merged at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:46 PM ----------

You guys.... you guys are gonna laugh...hehe.

The lag was because i had testmode set to false! silly me! At least i know for the future, not sure if that was a well known problem or not but every mistake documented is a lesson for future troubleshooters. =] Id also like to report the game runs like a beast on my desktop!

Thanks for your help anyway =] - Nufan1121

Upvote 0