450W PSU & Core 2 Duo Processor...

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Will a 450W PSU be enough for a core 2 duo processor?

I have ordered these parts (havnt yet ordered the case/psu though):

Case (may order)

Motherboard

Processor

These should work together, yes? I just want to be sure lol :P

Obviously in the future i will buy a better motherbaord and psu if needed (when i have the cash), but for now i just need a computer compatible with a core 2 duo processor really :P

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
oo, k m8 thanks.

Well i have ordered one already, that senture recomended me, its the same one as he uses.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=141418

Hopefully that does the job. Im now no longer going to purchase another case, for now anyway. Im just going to wack the new mobo,processor and psu in my current case replacing the current hardware in it.

One thing i need to know is should i have my hard drive fully wiped/formated, then connect and install the new hardware, or should i install windows xp pro, ready for when i install the new hardware??

Hope this makes sense lol :P Thanks.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
oo, k m8 thanks.

Well i have ordered one already, that senture recomended me, its the same one as he uses.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=141418

Hopefully that does the job. Im now no longer going to purchase another case, for now anyway. Im just going to wack the new mobo,processor and psu in my current case replacing the current hardware in it.

One thing i need to know is should i have my hard drive fully wiped/formated, then connect and install the new hardware, or should i install windows xp pro, ready for when i install the new hardware??

Hope this makes sense lol :P Thanks.

ehhh that PSU's 12V line is really ****ty. I've seen 300 watt power supplies with just about the same amps.

Physically install all the new HDD, boot it up for the first time with the windows CD in the drive, and do a quick format; assuminbg you've already had everything backed up.

Last edited:

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
hmm, already ordered that psu :( tbh, as long as its enough for my core 2 duo and that, it should do for now until i buy a better one.

And i have formated my hdd already, so im going to install all the new hardware, and that boot the pc up first time with my windows cd.

I just hope i plug every cable into the correct place, and i manage to insert the processor correctly =/ never built a pc or upgraded one before.. ><

Thanks for your help. :D

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
I have the same PSU running a C2D clocked at 3.05ghz, 2x1gb ddr2, 120gb + 320gb hdd's, dvd+-rw, geforce 7300gt, 4x case fans and a large cpu cooler. It will be fine.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Thanks aswell (yet again) senture :D :P

Just managed to fit the mobo in, but cant connect nothing until i have my CPU (2moz) and i have fit that. ><

Need a new PSU for sure anyway now, mine is a 20 pin mobo connector, which wont fit my new mobo as its a 24 pin (obviously).

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
I also always suggest rather getting 100W less of talk and getting something from a decent company so you know your voltages won't be bouncing by half a volt lol.

Sean

Developer
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
May 13, 2003
Aye it's also about how they advertise their PSUs.
Branded firms will list their continuous output rather than the "generic" PSUs that'll list their peak.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Cheers for the help all of you. :)

My PSU & CPU should come tomorow, i shall then fit them and HOPEFULLY have a working, good pc (for once :D ).

Just hope i dont mess anything up whilst fitting the CPU. And i hope i havnt messed anything after just fitting my mobo lol :P

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
I have the same PSU running a C2D clocked at 3.05ghz, 2x1gb ddr2, 120gb + 320gb hdd's, dvd+-rw, geforce 7300gt, 4x case fans and a large cpu cooler. It will be fine.

And for how long... when something shorts and dies it's no fun.

I learned from experience it's worth spending a little more money for a decent power supply. After having things destroyed, it no longer makes sense to me to have hundreds of dollars (or pounds) of components powered by a cheap PSU.

Considering it's 600W AND NOT sli/crossfire ready is not a good sign.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/106449/rb/24198087061

I have ordered that one, for now. I havnt got a very good/powerful graphics card (on-board graphics) atm anyway, so this psu should be ok for now as i saw one of the "reviews" by someone that they used this psu with a core 2 duo processor, and a much better graphics card than i currently have.

In a few weeks or so i shall purchase a powerful graphics card, and PSU. Also maybe a new motherbaord in time, but for now mine will do (i hope), only cost
40 quid or so.

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
It's not the power it'll lack, it's the bouncy voltages which will kill your other parts.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
ooo, hmm well ill see how this psu goes. As long as it doesnt harm the processor, thats ok. :eek:

This is only a temp psu though, until i manage to save some more cash (pretty hard without a job atm ><) and buy a new one. :)

Thankyou for the advice etc, feel free to guide me through advice on how to fit/connect a socket 775 processor without causing any components any harm. :D

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004

I learned from experience it's worth spending a little more money for a decent power supply. After having things destroyed, it no longer makes sense to me to have hundreds of dollars (or pounds) of components powered by a cheap PSU.

Indeed not. It's been running at that for arround 2 months now, no anomalies (spelling?) yet. Considering i had a budget restraint of £500 to replace almost an entire pc suitable for overclocking, all my parts cost me £504 including shipping. Most 600w PSU's were in excess of £70 and that one was I think £25

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
I may yet order that PSU you have senture (for now), if either mine i ordered doesnt turn up, or doesnt work.

Now waiting for my processor and PSU to be delivered (today, i paid for 1 day delivery! :P ) and i shall attempt to fix my PC back together :D

I hear fitting processors nower days are easy anyway, its just the fan/heatsink which are hard"ish". ^^

Delivery Status:

2007-01-04 03:54 Arrived at Delivery Branch
2007-01-04 07:45 Goods loaded onto a van
2007-01-04 10:20 On route to delivery branch

JohnBarny

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2003
Ya Mums

MR fox if uv blown your board its normally the top capacitors nearest to the power supply that blow if u just get out a soldering iron and replace it works fine when i get my pcs i normall take mine straight out and put a slightly bigger one in (work for electronic company so all parts are free as we build boards so i just pinch a few lol ;p) but saves me alot of hassle as i have blown a few boards might help u if u bust another one mate.

JohnBarny

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2003
Ya Mums
I may yet order that PSU you have senture (for now), if either mine i ordered doesnt turn up, or doesnt work.

Now waiting for my processor and PSU to be delivered (today, i paid for 1 day delivery! :P ) and i shall attempt to fix my PC back together :D

I hear fitting processors nower days are easy anyway, its just the fan/heatsink which are hard"ish". ^^

Delivery Status:

make sure you put the heatsink compound on ur processor or it will blow and all new processors cant be put in wrong way anymore