Join Discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali3n

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 27, 2004
Leicestershire
Ive been hearing rumors that most windows programs dont work properly with a 64bit processor, can anyone shine some light on this for me please?

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
R3mix said:
Ive been hearing rumors that most windows programs dont work properly with a 64bit processor, can anyone shine some light on this for me please?

They would work the same as on an intel 32bit cpu. the 64bit is just extra extensions in the cpu that are only enabled with something like a 64bit operating system. A64 cpu's are nice :)

AlphaTrace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 27, 2003
Newcastle'ish
R3mix said:

32bit apps will NOT run on a true dedicated 64bit processor, however all current consumer 64bit processors, are not truely 64bit. Instead they have an extra layer which enables them to process 32bit code (hence how people can use Win 9x+XP on Athlon64's).

Therefore any rumours you have heard, are most likely untrue.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
AlphaTrace said:
32bit apps will NOT run on a true dedicated 64bit processor, however all current consumer 64bit processors, are not truely 64bit. Instead they have an extra layer which enables them to process 32bit code (hence how people can use Win 9x+XP on Athlon64's).

Therefore any rumours you have heard, are most likely untrue.

That's not true. The "consumer" 64bit cpu's (athlon 64 line from AMD) are all "true" 64bit cpu's AND they have 32bit extensions to run windows xp pro etc.

Ali3n

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 27, 2004
Leicestershire
Thanks for clearing that up. I was about to buy a 64bit processor and a new motherboard, and the guy in the shop said i should wait for a good couple of months because Most windows programs will not run properly on a 64 Bit Processor.

Viola A.I.

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 14, 2003
Newcastle - UK
He's just wanting to milk you for cash and sell you old produce they need to get rid of and that he'll get a bonus from selling (can't remember the word).

Wittin

Ex-Δdministrator
VIP
May 7, 2003
Viola A.I. said:
He's just wanting to milk you for cash and sell you old produce they need to get rid of and that he'll get a bonus from selling (can't remember the word).
Promotion?

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
AlphaTrace said:
Its not "true" unless the 32bit layer is non-existant.

The 32bit layer is added for the consumer because we have no 64bit soho o/s yet. And yes it is "true" becuase it can run/do anything else that any other 64bit cpu can do based on 64bit instructions.

I was about to buy a 64bit processor and a new motherboard, and the guy in the shop said i should wait for a good couple of months because Most windows programs will not run properly on a 64 Bit Processor.

I wouldn't even call this "commission" motivated or whatnot but pure IGNORANCE. This is 100% pure BULLSHYT. I have an A64 machine, running windows XP 32bit and i love the hell outa it and its my favorite over ANY cpu out now whether it be athlon xp or pentium 4. Anyone who says that the a64 line cannot run all the prgrams is either blatenty bullshyting you or is an ignorant fool. I use my a64 for games, work prgrams, everything, and its awesome.

not to sound british lol but "A64 FOR TEH WIN!"

AlphaTrace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 27, 2003
Newcastle'ish
urbanfox said:
The 32bit layer is added for the consumer because we have no 64bit soho o/s yet. And yes it is "true" becuase it can run/do anything else that any other 64bit cpu can do based on 64bit instructions.

So by the same analogy, are you saying Windows NT 3.51 (with SP5) is a true 32bit OS? As it can run plenty of 32bit apps, including Word 97, even though its a DOS based OS, like the consumer versions of windows from the time.

Lets look at it from a different view using your analogy. A man has all the male parts, but also has female parts to ease adoption for the ahem, desktop market. Is he a "true" male? Afterall, he can do everything a normal male can do based on male parts. ;)

Viola A.I.

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 14, 2003
Newcastle - UK
They'll most probably leave the backward compatability in, why lose an expanded piece of hardware and risk profit loss through failed consumer manipulation?

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
AlphaTrace said:
So by the same analogy, are you saying Windows NT 3.51 (with SP5) is a true 32bit OS? As it can run plenty of 32bit apps, including Word 97, even though its a DOS based OS, like the consumer versions of windows from the time.

Lets look at it from a different view using your analogy. A man has all the male parts, but also has female parts to ease adoption for the ahem, desktop market. Is he a "true" male? Afterall, he can do everything a normal male can do based on male parts.

Your analogy is already crap (no offense) considering that hardware has nothing to do with compadibility of anything by the fact that everything is software controlled (excluding what hardware was made for p4c 32bit vs itanium 64bit etc with the given that the hardware expressed conformsd to the said API). And yes, Windows NT 3.51, without any service packs, is a true 32bit enviroment because of it's architecture, and just because it can't run say a brand new game has nothing to do with the fact that NT isn't "32bit" compadible with it but it has to do with the fact the game was built to use newer operating engines. It has nothing to do with windows xp is more "32bit" than windows NT.

Two, Win NT 3.51 was based on many things, OS/2, POSIX, DOS, Win16 and Win32 API's, with the Win32 being the main windows API for applications.

Third, this is the Computer forum, not a place to make crap analogies about anatomy which logically cannot be accurately parrelled in thought to the current discusion.

Fourth, the word "true" has no definition in this conversation other than whatever meaning I/you/we attach to it. It is a well known fact that the A64 line is a "true" (true by the definition it can do anything another 64bit cpu, such as the itanium, can do) 64bit compadible cpu, WITH 32bit extensions. Just because it has 32bit extensions added in no way "lessens" the fact as you say that is 64bit compadible.

BOTTOM LINE
The A64 line is fully compadible with all windows 32bit applications despite whatever BS the retailer told you. In fact, with the 30% reduction in the A64 line price base yesterday, at the same dollar amount I would recommend the A64 over the Pentium 4 in all but a few cases.

EDIT
Viola said:
They'll most probably leave the backward compatability in, why lose an expanded piece of hardware and risk profit loss through failed consumer manipulation?

I don't think it is consumer manipulation (especially considering in most applications the A64 beats its Intel counterpart in the 32bit API) rather than added features whatnot. AMD never said buy this CPU because the 64bit world of computing is swallowing the 32bit world tommrow.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2003
Cairo Orbital Defence Platform
AlphaTrace said:

Lets look at it from a different view using your analogy. A man has all the male parts, but also has female parts to ease adoption for the ahem, desktop market. Is he a "true" male? Afterall, he can do everything a normal male can do based on male parts. ;)

<rant>
Actually, you're entirely wrong. WinNT, as of ALL versions, is ENTIRELY 32bit, with 16bit emulation. Look into it's history. Starting with NT 3.1 (which i still have a copy of :P) Plug: http://toastytech.com/guis/nt31.html

Tell me, if the A64s aren't true 64bit, and they can't be true 32bit according to your truth, then what ARE they?

If you want to proove yourself, tell this forum the true power of the Ps2.

Your analogy should be corrected to the following.

If a man had all man parts, but could also think like a woman - does that make him a true man?

Put simply - yes.

--

As for the fool with his 64bit "non-compatibility". Sue him. I mean it. Sue the hell out of him. False advertising.

Let me guess - he tried to make you buy a more expensive Pentium 4, right?

--

</rant>

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
¤]´)÷¤--§îr Äürøñ--¤÷(`[¤ said:
<rant>
Actually, you're entirely wrong. WinNT, as of ALL versions, is ENTIRELY 32bit, with 16bit emulation. Look into it's history. Starting with NT 3.1 (which i still have a copy of :P) Plug: http://toastytech.com/guis/nt31.html

Tell me, if the A64s aren't true 64bit, and they can't be true 32bit according to your truth, then what ARE they?

If you want to proove yourself, tell this forum the true power of the Ps2.

Your analogy should be corrected to the following.

If a man had all man parts, but could also think like a woman - does that make him a true man?

Put simply - yes.

--

As for the fool with his 64bit "non-compatibility". Sue him. I mean it. Sue the hell out of him. False advertising.

--

</rant>

Me and Auron like Starsky and Hutch BIATCH!!!

Now auron will never talk to me again cus associated my bad self with him :slicendic

FREE PIZZA FOR ME

Ali3n

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 27, 2004
Leicestershire
<rant>

--

</rant>

no o_o he said wait a couple of months before i buy =/

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Umm - you seen that film? I want the DVD :(

Of course i still love you urban ;p

AND SHARE THE PIZZA - BIATCH!!!

Ye i saw it opening weekend damn funny lol

of course everybody loves italian men, who can resist mario and lugi? and they are plumbers!!!

PIZZA PIZZA!!!!

edit:

no o_o he said wait a couple of months before i buy =/

hmm... only thing out now/next few months new wise is the socket 939 newer versions of a64...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.